Thread: Brand New Custom MK1 Caddy Axles now in production @ Retrofication Towers

Brand New Custom MK1 Caddy Axles now in production @ Retrofication Towers

Been beavering away to get these to a conclusion

All new axles shortened by 60mm, ready flipped with offset saddles and adjustable brake comp bracket. They also have newly designed end plates ready to accept disc brakes.

I will also be able to do these in custom lengths as an FOC option

Im still pricing these up at the moment, so I will update the thread as soon as I have worked it all out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5846.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	33606

Name:	IMG_5847.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	33607

Name:	IMG_5856.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	33608

The cost of these axles are going to be 250 including VAT & UK delivery.

The CDS is quite expensive in this size which dictates the pricing, then there is also the cost of the other material & laser cutting etc. Then of course the labour time it takes to TIG one together, but still, at 250 inc we think the price is very reasonable.

If you want one powder coated that will probably add an extra 40 but that is to be confirmed.

And like I say, if you want an axle shorter or longer than the minus 60mm above that can be done to order at no extra cost (or can do std length if you prefer)

Im hoping to have half a dozen available for this coming week.

The price will include the 8 stub axle & brake pipe bracket bolts

We also stock the stub axles for disc brakes if required

How cool. Great idea.:thumbs_up

considering this if my setup fails me, is it possible to modify the shock mounts to use original size shocks?

Maybe a stupid question, but is the inside of the tube painted? Both on this axle and a stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but is the inside of the tube painted? Both on this axle and a stock one?
    No neither are painted, all the old axles I have cut are a bit scabby inside, but they are all still pretty solid.

My axles are fully TIG welded without any holes so will probably take until we are all dead to rot out! But you could drill a hole behind the end plate and squirt it with a shultz/waxoil mix if you are concerned.

Edit. You could probably probe through the M10 holes!
    Last edited by Al; 16-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    considering this if my setup fails me, is it possible to modify the shock mounts to use original size shocks?
    would be difficult designing a bracket without the vehicle, plus a one off cost for the laser design makes things expensive, plus even if you did this the shocks would be to low to the ground. TBH it would be cheaper to but shorter shox

Name:	IMG_5827.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	33628

This is what a standard 6x15 ET33 BBS RM looks like with the shortened axle & 195 tyre, so plenty of scope for a wider rim & tyre

Ah ok thanks for the info bossman!

Great idea, and price!

nice design al :)