Thread: Fuel mileage dropped BIG time - 82 diesel with newer 1.9 in it

Fuel mileage dropped BIG time - 82 diesel with newer 1.9 in it

Hi guys,

My 82 diesel 1.6 was replaced with a 1.9 and was working fine. Fuel mileage mid 40's and a bit better depending on my driving. Even in winter with 20 (f)below temperatures.

Put in new front end pieces from Parts Place here in the US. Whole new Strut/spring assembly and whole new Wheel Bearing assembly. Also new wheel bearings on the rear. None seem to be binding - as jacked up the wheels turn freely - with the front passenger side not quite as free as the drivers side.

New drive shaft on the drivers side - but he mileage drop was there before I put it in.

Power from the engine is fine.

I have new Control arms and Tie Rods with ball joints yet to install. Then a new Alignment. Last Alignment they told me to do so as the right ball joint needed to be replaced.

Tires are not wearing in any odd pattern.

Yet, my fuel mileage has dropped in a major way. NO leaks I can find. NO one is stealing fuel when it is parked - mean dogs in the barnyard that bite intruders assure that one.

So, I am trying to figure out why I went from 6-700 miles on a full tank to only 500.

Maybe I did not put enough grease in when I installed the new drive shaft?
    Brakes dragging - though I can't find any evidence of it?
    Maybe the worn ball joint(s) give enough play that it hurts fuel mileage?

Fuel is generally right at 50 Cetane, North Dakota refined diesel from the Baaken sweet Crude - supposed to be very good. I do know before the changes and mileage drop I would get better fuel mileage with it than Cenex diesel - even their summer premium blend.

Any ideas - what may be binding or holding things back as I get going that would hit fuel mileage this big?

Is your 1.9 a TD or TDI? If a TDI it might be worth plugging in and seeing if there are any fault codes. If it's a TD it might be worth doing the timing again, have you timed it recently?

Is air cleaner due for a change?
    Are tyres the same as before?
    Might be worth having injectors spray patterns checked.
    Also injector and cam timing.
    Are you certain there no leaks on any diesel pipes? especially leak off pipes or injectors themselves. Give it a hard drive and chec under hood straight away.
    A Caddy is for life not just for Christmas

it is a regular 1.9 diesel from a 93 Jetta - an import to the US and bought from a California company who brings them in.

I'll do a new air cleaner and see if it helps. K&N type and I keep it up - but maybe it needs to be replaced?

Tires now summer types. Was on winter studded snows - and the loss of fuel mileage has carried over to the summer tires. At that mid low to mid 40's (mpg) even with studded snow tires and sub zero(f) temperatures.

Have pressure cleaned the engine bay and will check diesel leakage. Don't think I have it as no diesel smell is evident.

This really has me pulling my hair out.

Ok so a TD for sure. Has it had a timing belt recently?

The engine is a 1Y from a German Jetta bought from one of the import engine guys I found out about here.

It runs smoothly and has good power.

Will have it checked by a diesel shop and see about the timing.