Thread: Skid Plate and brush guards?

Skid Plate and brush guards?

The 82 diesel would benefit from a skid plate - and possibly from a brush guard.
    I see in some articles VW had a "Western Edition" that had them.
    Any idea where I would find the Skid Plate that was made for these trucks?

Brush guards, if factory type would be nice but a lot of options available. The skid plate would be more useful for me. Just can't find much information in them.

What do you mean by brush guards?
    Sorry if I’m being blonde.

When you say skid plate, I’m guessing you mean a sump guard?

Many people cut a section out from a spare sump and weld it back on, whilst welding an extra panel to the bottom.
    If you catch my drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Deardorff View Post
    The 82 diesel would benefit from a skid plate - and possibly from a brush guard.
    I see in some articles VW had a "Western Edition" that had them.
    Any idea where I would find the Skid Plate that was made for these trucks?

Brush guards, if factory type would be nice but a lot of options available. The skid plate would be more useful for me. Just can't find much information in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikedave View Post

When you say skid plate, I’m guessing you mean a sump guard?

Many people cut a section out from a spare sump and weld it back on, whilst welding an extra panel to the bottom.
    If you catch my drift?
    OEM Skid plate for most Caddy MK1 engines: 357 018 905 A

My brush guards do you mean mudflaps?
    Caddy MK2 1.9 SDI (ALH swap incoming), Seat Inca 1.9 SDI, Static Polo Estate 1.9 TDI (AHU), Aired Golf MK4 1.9 PD130

Quote Originally Posted by jwrb View Post
    OEM Skid plate for most Caddy MK1 engines: 357 018 905 A

My brush guards do you mean mudflaps?

I’ll get my coat

I do a weld-on bash guard http://www.retrofication.co.uk/bashplate.html

You wont find a brush guard. In 20 years I never seen or heard of anyone having one

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikedave View Post
    They come under what us Europeans would normally call a bull bar or nudge bar, but they're designed more specifically for pushing down light vegetation (weeds, saplings), so they pass under the vehicle, rather than damaging the front end.

Quote Originally Posted by Incaddy View Post
    They come under what us Europeans would normally call a bull bar or nudge bar, but they're designed more specifically for pushing down light vegetation (weeds, saplings), so they pass under the vehicle, rather than damaging the front end.
    Aahhhh, thanks.

29C17937-718B-4DC7-8E38-15DD94B40C41.jpg

Sorry guys, Farm country middle USA and driving through dirt and gravel overgrown with weeds often higher than the truck have me asking. I have both on the Big Ford SuperCrew 4x4 and after working hard to get corn stalks, sunflower stalks and brush sticks out from various areas under the truck I thought I would ask. Prompted by an older VW article on the trucks that said they were offered as accessories when the truck was new.

The reason for asking about skid plate is I'm tired of the oil pan hitting rocks and dirt. One of these days I can see it taking a bigger hit and starting to leak. At times there is no choice on driving where stuff will hit under the vehicle. Frost is working out of the ground now and the roads are soft. Big tractors and grain trucks push the soft areas down and the high center is left. Not wide enough on some of the roads - one lane types - so stuck driving through it. In the fields, no choice at all.

Have a question or two on why my fuel mileage dropped dramatically - but will put that in another section.