Thread: Welding, Lathes Mills and Machinery - advice, notes and experiences

Welding, Lathes Mills and Machinery - advice, notes and experiences

I know that a few of us are interested in machinery for our hobbies - though a little collation of experiences might be beneficial.

I recently bought a 1964 Boxford 4.5" AUD long bed screw cutting lathe.

I paid over the odds from a dealer so I would hopefully have a nice hassle free freshly loved working machine
    Turns out that that wasn't the case and If i'd done it again I'd go looking for a cheaper bargain and do any resto work myself. As it happens the shopping experience that I went though was utterly rank, but that's not for here.

I went with a Boxford as the Myfords i looked at all seemed a little bit toy town - and trashing them looked easy.

My Boxford has a powered feed - I considered this very helpful for me to get a nice finish (as i'm a newb)
    As it happens i was concerned about metric vs imperial, but I havent yet done any screw cutting so i guess that doenst matter too much. A couple of cogs in the gear box can convert between

I have held back on getting a lathe for some time as I though transportation would be horrible and I didn't know what to look out for. Actually worked out really easy to load/ unload onto a small trailer with an engine hoist

Other things I have since considered - hiring tail lift van.

Anyway - share your experiences here

So far I like Glanze tools and these tips:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCMT-0602...53.m2749.l2649

And so far comyur is gash,
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGEHR1212...53.m2749.l2649

I’ve totalled two parting tools already, Banggood crap.

Did they bend at the bottom? I did manage to straighten one in the vice and went back at it tentatively

I'm currently rigging up a coolant tank. I always use aerosol when doing tapping and drilling but it goes fast on teh lathe!

I need a little tank next, was thinking a small cold water tank

Yes, but it’s my fault. I should start slowing it down, but that means getting covered in grease, swapping the gears

Lol well at least I have a gear box even if mine is a bit rubbish!

I have been playing around a bit with the big Ajax lathe at work and I have found it is very much about patience with machining I have just started construction on my little work shop down mine so once that is up Ill get myself a Colchester or something similar. Picked up a Q&S 625 pillar drill for it the other day and a thermal arc 211I multi process welder so i keep accumulating bits and pieces. also on my list is a donkey saw and im going to build my self a small bridge crane too for engines and such like.

I like your plans. The danger is ending up with a workshop full of shit and no room for a motor!

How much engineering are you putting into the crane?

I know right ! well I have set my self limitations on what i can have as it aint going to be the biggest work shop only 30Sqm so I have worked out what stuff i can get in there, plus my caddy and still have some usable space.

I have only just basically started looking into it, but i am not looking to lift mega weight with it. I will be using an I beam above the double door at the front so i am going to pick up off that, the second I beam will be fixed up onto the back wall probably sitting on 4 structural pillars across the wall - (5.2M) then i will be using a 3rd I beam as the bridge i just need to make something up with some casters to sit inside the 2 I beams so the bridge can move back and forwards, almost like half of a beam trolley either end but obviously wider so it dont skew about
    Last edited by nicko868; 19-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.

i used a one of these
    https://www.toolstation.com/electric-hoist/p18631

last week - worked well.

I keep meaning to do the steelwork calcs for something similar - but then, I keep meaning to do a lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    i used a one of these
    https://www.toolstation.com/electric-hoist/p18631

last week - worked well.

I keep meaning to do the steelwork calcs for something similar - but then, I keep meaning to do a lot of things
    Yeah i had thought about chucking an electric lift on it bat the the minute i just have a brand new set of chain blocks and a beam trolley i got from work. Yeah i havent really looked into that was just going to build it real heavy duty and be sensible with the lift lol

Myfords cope surprisingly well on larger stuff, cuts over 0.5mm are pushing it.

Colchester Student is a nice size lathe, capable of 2mm cuts easily (tipped tooling).

XYZ stuff is pretty good

Use lots of coolant, yes it makes a mess but it improves finishes and tooling life. Suds (water/oil mix) for steel, Paraffin for brass/bronze
    Mk1 '91 1.6 GTD build so far...

Welding Table

I'd like a welding table - so rather than just buy one, obviously I'm pissing about making one.

If anyone would like the .dxf to get cut - i'm going to add it to the collection below.

Its 1200x600 8mm steel I have gone for with alternating M10 and 16mm holes at 50mm spacing for clamping and bolting.

Jigtop.jpg

You need to go onto YouTube and find a lad called Alec Steele in Montana, he has built a welding table and all his gadgets are really good to help you build stuff, he is well worth a watch

Ah I forgot u mentioned this chap, need to go check him out.

tmp-cam-7060502820068304496.jpg

Bit of progress progressing..tmp-cam-4378594819761347020.jpg

tmp-cam-7900773413233382187.jpg

I'm going to make it rigid with 6x60 strip underneath, then 50 shs legs which are adjustable (with the M16 feet pictured) detachable for storage, and also wheeled, for scooting it about when it's full

This looks great! Did you get round to watching the Alec Steele videos? This one is pretty simple but some of the other stuff gets a lot more complex
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kku6I_1axYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWhJmV_ekEs
    Last edited by fuus; 04-03-2019 at 12:01 PM.

I'll watch them now!

I find them almost therapeutic

Despite all my efforts to keep it flat, some how I have a bit of a twist in my table top. I'd recommend more than 8mm if anyone is interested in developing their own!

tmp-cam-449721389117591746.jpg