Thread: Thinking of putting an aee engine into 1983 convertible ( petrol) will gearbox mate

Thinking of putting an aee engine into 1983 convertible ( petrol) will gearbox mate

Anyone know what's involved? I can cope with electrics, injection, exhaust
    It's actually a hybrid from my mark 2 pickup and I,m thinking the front engine mounting
    I made up to fit the block into an aee mounting that was in the caddy may work and the bell housing may be the same.
    Pigs do fly sometimes it depends on the circumstances.

Do you not feel you're re-inventing the wheel when you could drop a mk2 1.8 8v in with considerably less hassle?

Interested to hear your motivation

Well the engine I have is a 16v 130 bhp from a polo GTi that I completely rebuilt a few years ago. I altered mountings and renewed everything so that it has the same dimensions as an aee which it replaced and used a similar injection system. The fun pickup requires a lot of welding. Nearly 70 now so can't crawl about just as well as I did so this project would be much easier if I could just slot the caddy engine, which is brill, and only 10k since it's rebuild into a motor that's on the road. The 1.6 in the golf is about 50 less hp. It's just an idea but there are very few motors this engine is good for.
    Thanks for your interest.rolo.

Gotcha right. Do you know the code of the polo engine? I'd imagine you might be able to get "off the shelf" (ish) mounts with some knowledge from another member.

The engine is an AVY block with an AFH cylinder head, but has been converted to sit in the space of an AEE.
    I guess my reality isI need the golf box to match the block which it very well might and the golf front mount to fit an AEE or an AEE mounting that fits the early golf inner wing. I,ll do a visual today. Thanks.

This covers most of the challenges you're going to hit I think
    https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index...o-1-4-16c-dohc

Thanks lots of information there