Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 02a GEARBOX LINKAGE

HI, yes the dirty one is the 02j , i will take a picture today and send over later, thanks for all the help
    knobby

tell you what you could do if you want to figure out what's what. on the underside, that bit with the VW logo with the two bolts either side, thats the bushing that the selector shaft sits in. undo those two bolts and pull it out (it's tight) once it's out you can check the diameters and also how deep the shaft goes into it. i've never had a problem with an 02J tower fitting an 02A box, it's a very common swap as the 02A shifter is terrible. unless you've bought a 6 speed 02J shifter?

HI mate i will attach pics its defo an 02a box , so am scratchin my headIMG-20190124-WA0002.jpgIMG-20190124-WA0003 (1).jpg

I had my dad take the one i bought with him and put it next to another 5 speed 02j and it was the same length, size identical ,i will get my guy try what you said but the 02a shifter that is in the o2a box is longer and thinner (as the pics show) so just at a dead end now mate, the only thing we can do is manufacture the 02j cable brackets on to the 02a shifter,
    do you think this would work
    thanks Knobby

hi mate the one i bought is on the left, and we also compared it to another 02j one a friend had and its the same so am baffled, think we are going to try and manufacture the 02j linkages onto my shifter if it will workIMG-20190124-WA0002.jpgIMG-20190124-WA0003 (1).jpg

I've got a 16v gearbox for sale, with cable change selector box.
    As 1 unit.

Cheaps

If I get a chance I’ll compare mine tomorrow. I’ve got a old 02a shifter kicking around so I’ll compare it to my 02j. Maybe worth having a google and seeing why others have done, it’s a very common conversion though so not sure why it’s not fitting

AFDF7CAE-7F8B-4456-89F2-7A76E78FCCC8.jpg I’d say all you need to do is remove that part from the 02j gearbox that you got your tower from and swap it for the one in your 02a. It’s the bearing that the shaft sits in

Just googled it, yep! That’s definitely what you need to swap! Seems some 02a boxes have the correct size already, others don’t. Guess you’re just unlucky! Hey ho, piece of cake to swap!

HI Mate, problem finally solved we removed the two bolts from the bottom of the box that hold the selector housing and bearing and replaced the housing from the box the 02j selector came from (i had to buy the box just to get the bearing) but we are back in business. many thanks for all your help with this its really appreciated.
    thanks again Knobby

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Awesome, glad you got it sorted. It’s well worth it as the 02A shifter is total trash.

HI Mate, another problem has cropped up, we have turned the engine over by hand to check compresion and it forces the timing belt off the pulleys any clue? the pulleys are all powder coated
    thanKS Knobby

what engine do you have? 20v? when you say powdercoated, do you mean the actual tooth face is painted too? there's no way you'd want that to have any kind of paint on that! and when you say compression test, do you mean you're actually using a tester or just to see if it "has compression" as you'll never be able to do an actual compression test manually. without seeing pics it's hard to say but i'd say it's probably more likely that the tensioner/a gear is on the piss to knock the belt off rather than the paint on the teeth, although that doesn't sound ideal

HI Pal, think it was just the paint on the cogs that the general opinion, i have another issue now, i have fitted a hydraulic floor mounted pedal box but the throttle cable will not reach the throttle body as i have a left sided manifold, is there a longer throttle cable i can sourcecaddy engine.jpgcaddy engine.jpg
    thanks Knobby

The attached picture is not of my car just showing the left handed throttle body
    thanks Knobby

HI Mate just wondering if its possible to fit an electronic fuel pump outside tank and if so from what, any help would be great
    thanks knobby

Yeah of course, you can use a mk1/2 golf GTI pump but as you’re using Kjet you need to fit a fuel accumulator too.
    Throttle cable, can’t remember to be honest, i just bought a universal kit from venhill and made the cable up myself