Thread: Flat Battery Can't Find Cause

Flat Battery Can't Find Cause

On my Ex British Gas 2011 I disconnected the live from the battery and connected a DC Amp meter in series and found I had a 5 amp drain. In turn I took every fuse out in the hope I would find a circuit that was causing the 5Amp drain. I started with the fuse box under the bonnet (side of the battery) and then the fuse box below the steering wheel, I also found a fuse box behind the glove box compartment, all to no avail.
    So, I'm asking you all, have you ever come across anything like this.

Yep, can be maddening. Prime candidates are always the stereo, and anything aftermarket (alarms, trackers, extra lighter sockets).

If the van still does everything you want it to without the fuses in the extra box in the dash, I'd be tempted to pull them all out and see how it effects things. It could well be that when the van was de-fleeted, they weren't too fussy about how they took their aftermarket bits out. I had an ex-RAC transit where they'd chopped the loom for the lightbar, squashing the exposed wire cores together in the process. Every time you caught the switch for it with your knee, it blew 3 fuses.

Try connecting a sidelight bulb in the same way as you did the meter, then pulling a circuit at a time. If it lights up, the drain's active. The brighter it is, the bigger the drain. I know it sounds stupid, but it works - I got showed that trick by an electrician).

Also, don't move too fast, give systems a chance to wake up and go to sleep when you pull the fuse and put it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Incaddy View Post
    Yep, can be maddening. Prime candidates are always the stereo, and anything aftermarket (alarms, trackers, extra lighter sockets).

If the van still does everything you want it to without the fuses in the extra box in the dash, I'd be tempted to pull them all out and see how it effects things. It could well be that when the van was de-fleeted, they weren't too fussy about how they took their aftermarket bits out. I had an ex-RAC transit where they'd chopped the loom for the lightbar, squashing the exposed wire cores together in the process. Every time you caught the switch for it with your knee, it blew 3 fuses.

Try connecting a sidelight bulb in the same way as you did the meter, then pulling a circuit at a time. If it lights up, the drain's active. The brighter it is, the bigger the drain. I know it sounds stupid, but it works - I got showed that trick by an electrician).

Also, don't move too fast, give systems a chance to wake up and go to sleep when you pull the fuse and put it back.
    I'll try this over the weekend and let you know the results. Thank you very much for you input.