Thread: Brakes too sensitive

Brakes too sensitive

Shortly after getting my MK1 back on the road the MC started leaking internally.
    so I was looking for a replacement and got one of the stubby seat ones, I think they are 23mm. Anyway ever since I fitted that the brakes were super sensitive you only had to breath on the pedal and you were through the windscreen.
    Did a bit of digging round and turns out your meant grind down the removable bit of the rod inside the servo by 3mm from what I can remember?

Refitted it again and it was a bit better but they are still too sensitive, really have to concentrate when coming to a stop so you don't slam on.

If I fit a 22mm MC would that give me more pedal resistance and less pedal travel? because thats what I'm after.

Probably should add it's running 9" servo, 280mm fronts and rear disk conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdpete View Post

If I fit a 22mm MC would that give me more pedal resistance and less pedal travel? because thats what I'm after.
    So, do you have a long pedal now?

Sounds like the linkage bar needs adjusting to me, no matter how much you back off at the servo end it will be bulked up at the pedal end

Yeah quite a long pedal but it's really light , till It gets close to the floor where it's quite firm , weird thing is when I've been towed back the brakes are really crap no matter how hard I press them, don't know if that's related or not but when I had drum brakes I could use my brakes without servo no problems, I'll check the bar for adjustment tommorow , would I be needing to shorten or lengthen it?

If the two 90 degree pivots are not correct it can really effect the feel of the brakes. when the pedal is not depressed the pivots should parallel to the bar/bulkhead. From your description it sounds like the adjustment is out. Without seeing it, its difficult to say, but getting the best out of a shit design takes a bit off fettling

I have carried out the stubby seat/ Ford Focus master cylinder conversion and I had to take about 5mm off the nipple in the end.

Had a look and the swivel on the driver's side is in an arrow pointing outwards ,not 90 degrees at all if that's how it's meant to be.

Elroy tbh I can't remember how much I took off , just that I was googling and googling it and saw someone took X amount of and it worked for them so I did that.
    I'll have a go at adjusting the bars and see what that does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The nipple thing out of the servo I must of took down to 5mm , does that seem right?
    Last edited by Tdpete; 17-09-2018 at 08:03 AM.

The word says to remove 3mm material off the nipple, but I had to take off another 2mm, to stop my brakes binding.

Ah right I'll try that first and see where I'm at then.

Took another 2mm off and went for a drive and it feels much better, gonna leave it like this for a week so I can get used to it . I think it'll probably be okay now