Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Smooth bay stress

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newark
    Posts
    145

    Smooth bay stress

    Smooth bay people i need some help..

    Ive been filling holes i wont need and im almost at the stage now where im ready to add some filler and then prime it. Circled in blue is where i was planning on running the engine loom out as opposed to the factory holes a bit further up to the right. Cant see any problem with this as im going to run the headlight loom inside the wing. One of my questions though is where should i mount the ignition coil?

    IMG_0733.jpg

    Another question is all these little holes where the rad sits, i want to fill but whats the best way to do it?

    IMG_0728.jpg

    Sorry for second pic bein upside down i cant seem to get it to stay the right way. But yes any help is appreciated

  2. #2
    You can mount the coil anywhere you like so long as the HT lead reaches. You can even mount it on the engine of gearbox if you prefer

    For the smaller holes, just build up some weld around the edges and work your way in, the larger ones can be plated. The only thing you will want to do it make sure the underside is rust proofed & wax oiled after otherwise it will be a mess in no time at all. I use a shultz gun with a tube on the end so I can get in everywhere, first with epoxy then some kind of wax oil

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    208
    that's a lovely bare metal bay, if you're going for the show car finish, stitch weld it, be different. every show car is the same, you won't see one thats been stitch welded, not even mine, i covered them in seam sealer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newark
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    You can mount the coil anywhere you like so long as the HT lead reaches. You can even mount it on the engine of gearbox if you prefer

    For the smaller holes, just build up some weld around the edges and work your way in, the larger ones can be plated. The only thing you will want to do it make sure the underside is rust proofed & wax oiled after otherwise it will be a mess in no time at all. I use a shultz gun with a tube on the end so I can get in everywhere, first with epoxy then some kind of wax oil
    Ah sweet okay i can worry about the coil later then. Im trying to make sure all the holes etc i need are drilled before its painted. And as for the “underside” do you mean underneath all the places ive been filling and plating (eg where the rads gonna go? And spot on cos Ive bought a few pots of epoxy so i’ll get ahold of a gun too, thanks for the help Al ����

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newark
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    that's a lovely bare metal bay, if you're going for the show car finish, stitch weld it, be different. every show car is the same, you won't see one thats been stitch welded, not even mine, i covered them in seam sealer
    Thankyou mate been a fair while gettung it all stripped back as you can imagine. And thats a nice idea, if i was using an older engine with less ancilleries then id probably go for that! plus the fact i hate welding thin metal haha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Petr0lHed View Post
    Thankyou mate been a fair while gettung it all stripped back as you can imagine. And thats a nice idea, if i was using an older engine with less ancilleries then id probably go for that! plus the fact i hate welding thin metal haha
    haha, actually behind the original seam sealer, its usually rot free, i even welded on higher temps, the metal is pretty much 2mm thick as it's layered ontop of eachother, so it's pretty difficult to blow through the metal

    will handle a lot better, considering theres no subframe in these things!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Petr0lHed View Post
    Ah sweet okay i can worry about the coil later then. Im trying to make sure all the holes etc i need are drilled before its painted. And as for the “underside” do you mean underneath all the places ive been filling and plating (eg where the rads gonna go? And spot on cos Ive bought a few pots of epoxy so i’ll get ahold of a gun too, thanks for the help Al ����
    Yes, get it in every cavity welded or not.

    post 748 onwards

    http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...-game!)/page19

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newark
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Yes, get it in every cavity welded or not.

    post 748 onwards

    http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...-game!)/page19
    Im with you, brilliant okay, i'll definitely be using your thread for more help

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •