Thread: Bought my first Caddy need help

Bought my first Caddy need help

I went and bought a 1982 Caddy today... but its got some issues.
    First its a 1982 caddy 1.6 with a/c non turbo
    *first issue is that it gets hot... when getting hot steam pores into the cab and hot steaming coolant pours onto the floorboards. also when topping coolant off it leaks onto the ground (water pump?)
    *Secondly the radio (Aftermarket) doesn't come on but flicked on only a couple times and then shut right back off.
    *along with that the climate control doesn't work and the slider from hot to cold wont slide right to the cold side.
    *other than that so far seems like a solid truck. Thanks for any help.
    Also where are good places to buy parts and tools for this truck?

Also forgot to add the glow plug light came on earlier tonight but now will only come on right when i switch the key on but then immediately turns off.

First issue sounds like a problem with your heater matrix, probably need a new one

Second issue check the wiring, obviously stereos are supposed to be supplied by ignition, a permanent 12v and earth as a minimum.

Third issue sounds like the cable might have not quite adjusted correctly. Can you slide it 90% of the way there? It might be the hot water valve has fully closed

Fourth issue that sounds like normal glow plug operation?

Thanks for the reply where would be a good place to get a heater matrix? Is there any write up on the install?
    On the hot to cold slide it goes about 1/2 way and get so hard that i feel if i push it harder it would break.
    on the glow plugs should the light not stay on while the key is in accessory mode for more than a second