Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: Itís only supposed to be a parts van for the project van

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    Just thought I’d stick these up, I only got a couple of photos. I’ve patched up a few more holes and had to re do some previous repairs as they were really bad.
    The rear subframe mount captive nut had been covered over and the end of the subframe cut off. I’ve welded a new captive nut in and welded a new end onto the subframe.





    I’ve still a small hole to do on the drivers side then tackle the passenger side.

    I met Al on Thursday to do some dodgy car park dealings. I’d contacted him before Christmas about some new coilovers but I didn’t want them to get caught up in Christmas post. I was down his way visiting family so we met up and I came away with a set of these



    It will be interesting to see the difference in ride quality and how low they go compared to the JOM’s that are on at the minute.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    628
    Welded in captive nut sounds easier than my 2 person way.....
    Or one hand on a spanner and the other working the impact

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    Captive nut was the only way for me.

    Well Rob and I had a road trip last night and picked up a replacement pair of wings, bonnet, bonnet catch, drivers glove box and the interior rubber covers for the rear lights for the van. Annoyingly the bonnet has had one corner bent over slightly so I’m going to have to tweak that back in line and maybe a skim of filler on it.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    I have done a little bit of work on the van recently but not as much as I’d like. It’s been stood at work for a couple of months and the passenger rear wheel locked on. I’d hoped driving it up the lane would free it off but it didn’t so I got it in the workshop and took the rear drum off. The slave cylinder was knackered and I’d already bought new ones when I got the van so I set about changing it. In typical fashion the brake pipe wouldn’t undo and just spun round until it snapped so I had to get a new one made. I got 2 so I’ll get the drivers side done hopefully next week. I’m also aiming to finish the welding underneath next week and make a start on the bodywork. I picked the paint up for it last week. I’m waiting on a 6” backing pad for my da, it was supposed to arrive yesterday but still nothing!




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    628
    With these vans i carry a couple of pipe clamps and usually a spare wheel cylinder.
    Im going discs....

    I kinda need to do the welding as well been running without a rear shock for a bit too long ....shh

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in wiffy viral quarantine
    Posts
    15,659
    which colour are you going

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    which colour are you going
    Keeping it the same colour

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in wiffy viral quarantine
    Posts
    15,659
    Just reading though this thread again - hehe excellent stuff

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Just reading though this thread again - hehe excellent stuff
    I’ve just gone back through it and I forgot that I’d got a shallow sump for it

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    Last week I started on the body work. I had 3 days crouched underneath the bloody thing in the pit. I was a right bloody state. I’ve welded new metal in, treated it all with built hamber hydrate 80, left that for 24 hours. Then epoxy primer it, seam sealed it then stone chipped.





































    A little while back Rob and I went to pick up a few parts from a caddy that was being broken. I got a pair of wings and a bonnet but it turns out the drivers wing is full of rust, the passengers wing had been bent when removed and the bonnet had one corner bent over. So I set about straightening the passenger wing, I’ve hammered the lips flat to give me clearance on the tyre, this was treated with hydrate 80, epoxy and seam sealer then the whole inside of the wing stone chipped. It’s had a few skims of filler over it. I can still feel some imperfections in it but I’ve had to realise my abilities are far less than my standards and it’s going to be a daily driver not a show vehicle.





    I’ve got the drivers wing flatted, and treated but I need some more seam sealer for it which I can’t afford to buy as yesterday I picked up another set of wheels.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    628
    Lot of work for a parts van!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotClayShooter View Post
    Lot of work for a parts van!
    Hmmmm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •