Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Itís only supposed to be a parts van for the project van

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    614
    Ive got 3.5 vans here as well.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    614
    If Robs Back doors are Minging after 13 miles ... I suspect Green doors might be the same at 1.3 miles

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffegull View Post
    Not bad for a parts car!
    Thanks mate

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotClayShooter View Post
    If Robs Back doors are Minging after 13 miles ... I suspect Green doors might be the same at 1.3 miles
    At least robs is only the back doors. Green doors will be the whole passenger side of the van.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    Notched the O/S chassis leg today. I’ve still got to lift the rear engine mount.
    I’ve been in talks with a parts company about rear arch repair panels, I’ve managed to get them to give me a decent discount so I’ll be ordering 2 sets, one for me and one for Rob’s van. I’ve also just been talking to a guy about helping me with the body prep for this one. It’s going to end up getting a full blow over later in the year. This does mean I’ll end up loosing the sign writing on the doors which I’m a little sad about but I might redo them with a different logo.

    For the notch I used a 68mm hole cutter and a bit of 4mm wall tubing. I epoxy primed it then stone chipped.







  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    Rob stopped by last night and I made a start on raising the rear engine mount. We got it all done but I didn’t have a bolt long enough. Now the bolt that is used has a thread on the head of it for a bracket to bolt to. The bracket looks to hold a breather hose of some sort.

    You can kind of make out the bracket in this photo.



    Rob said he just removed his bracket but I didn’t want to do that so tonight after work I bored and threaded (m6) a hole in the head of a new longer m10 bolt. I locktited a m6 thread in it so once I had the bolt back in the engine mount I could re fit the bracket with a new m6 mudguard washer and locknut.





    I refitted all the pipework I’d removed to get access to the mount then sat it on the floor to see the ground clearance. The sump is now sitting just above the subframe. It’s got roughly 57mm of clearance.
    Next is to get a new oil filter and swap the sump for the shallow one.

    I’ve also removed the front wheels and adapters. I’m taking the adapters to work to get them milled down. I’m going to go from 18-15mm on the front.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    I did a bit more to the paint work this morning, I’ve only got the passenger door and wing left. I was going to finish them but the da fell over and the pad spun into the grass/dirt.
    It’s made the paint shine a bit but it’s still a mess really. It’s full of scratches still from the previous owner washing it with a scouring pad.



    I’ve got some spigot rings on the way and some rear camber shims. Hopefully I can get them all fitted and the adapters milled down ready for skegvegas next Friday.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    So it’s skegvegas tomorrow and I’ve still not got the van ready. I got my dad to mill the front adapters down from 18mm to 15mm yesterday. Unfortunately it took most of the head off the 4 Allen bolts that hold the slug in so tonight after work I had to weld some m8 nuts to them to get them out. I ordered some new shallow head bolts this morning from BAPP and the rep dropped them off on his way home tonight. I still had to put each one in the lathe and skim a bit off each one.
    I’ve also had to skim a bit off the head of the 3 big Allen bolts so that they sit flush in the adapter.







    My spigot rings came at some point I don’t know when but they have been on the kitchen side all week and the Mrs didn’t tell me.

    So tomorrow morning I need to try and roll the arches, fit the front adapters and the wheels back on. Remove the rear wheels and fit the camber shims that I picked up today. I might as well replace the rear wheel cylinders whilst I do the shims. I’ve still got the passenger door and wing to mop and polish. I tried a paint sealer on some parts that I’d done at the weekend and it’s worked pretty well. It’s some stuff ford use to protect new vehicles.




  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    woodhall spa
    Posts
    3,806
    Just got back from Viva Skegvegas, great weekend.
    Friday morning I was busy fitting the front adapters and the Pontiac wheels back on. I’d wanted to fit the rear camber shims but I didn’t have a socket big enough for the rear hub nut so I’ll have to do them in the week.
    I also mopped and polished the passenger door and wing and gave it a wash and paint sealant in the areas I’d not done in the week.
    The drive to Robs was alright but I’ve got some rubbing issues. The front tyres are rubbing the arch liners and the rear arches are touching the tyres on bumps. The rear should be ok once the shims are fitted and I’m going to try my adjustable top mounts on the front.

    This thing decks out on the road quite a bit, loads more than my other van used to and the other van was much lower.



    Scraped quite a lot getting on the drive.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •