Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Itís only supposed to be a parts van for the project van

Itís only supposed to be a parts van for the project van

I thought I might as well start a build thread for the spare parts van Iíve just bought. As I say itís only supposed to be a spares van for my long term project van but when you have a pile of spare parts already and a mate like Rob encouraging me you know itís going to get out of hand.
    After picking it up the drive home felt so weird. Itís the first time Iíve properly driven a caddy van since mine came off the road in 2013. I took it steady as the clutch is slipping a bit but I did hit 90mph and thatís when the front indicator decided to give me a little wave as it popped out

So the new van is a 2002 tdi, manual windows no central locking, 173,000 miler. The body work isnít the best really, both rear arches are crusty, the passenger front arch is the same. Itís got a couple of holes in the passenger side sill and some scabs on the roof. Itís sign written for the previous owners business low life chop shop. Heís not one for a shiny van so washed it with a scowering pad.

The paint is one of the first areas Iím trying to sort. So far I have tackled the bonnet, front bumper, grill, drivers wing, drivers door and the roof hump bit. Iíve wetsanded it with 2000 grit then mopped and polished it. It has brought the paint back up with a lovely shine but itís still full of scratches.

This was the state of the drivers wing. As you can see itís scratched to hell and very faded.

This was after a wet flat and polish.

Bit of a 50/50 on the bonnet

This is after Iíd finished but you can still see the scratches around the washer jets.

One cool thing about it is the working truck horns on the roof operated by a pull chain

As well as the paint work Iíve also glued the grill back together after it had been broken at some point and Iíve cleaned the air box out and replaced the filter with a cone one I had spare. It doesnít look like the filter had been done in a very long time.

A while back I was given a sub box with 2x 10Ē subs in it and an amp so I fitted them and I also fitted some small component speakers in the dash.

Iím planning on camping at the skegvegas vw show in August so ive got a list of things I want to do to it before then.
    Fit a new clutch
    Cut the brake compensator bracket down on the rear axle and fit my koni reds.
    Fit my 30mm lowering blocks
    Swap the mk3 coilovers it came on for my JOM ones
    Fit my tie rod flip kit and ball joint extenders
    Possibly fit my 280mm brake kit
    Hockey puck the engine
    Fit seat splitter
    Re furb and fit my Pontiac wheels
    Source, paint and fit new front wing (I was let down today after a guy said I could have one from a caddy he was breaking. Went to collect it yesterday and he hadnít removed it. Arranged for him to remove it and drop it at mine today which didnít happen so arranged for me to go and help him remove it tonight to then get a text to say the van had been collected for scrap already )
    Sort holes in the sill and rear arch

I think that was it. There is a chance Iíll fit the front air ride Iíve got for the other van and maybe my .240 injectors as Iíve done a deal on a set of .280ís for my mtdi build.

None of This is a surprise or shock lol

Ive been led to the lowering thing as well.... But the front coils will be to the top and the rear set to make it level...
    Cupra arb. Few other choice bits

I think fitting the front air is a good way to go, At least you have the ability to protect the sump when needed

I think fitting the front air is a good way to go, At least you have the ability to protect the sump when needed[/QUOTE]

I caught the sump tonight on a back road.

The passenger rear inner arch has a big hole in it and the tyres keep catching the top because the rear shocks are so shit so when I repair the tub I might cut them out and lift them up a bit to give some more clearance.
    I had hoped to cut the compensator bracket down tonight after work but I didn’t get time.

I fitted g60 discs with 288mm calipers and carriers< replaced everything in the rear brakes apart from the backing plates. and then found out it was the compensator not allowing fluid through to the driver side .... Binned it with no issues ive thrown it into roundabouts in the wet and stamped on the pedal and not been able to lock it up...

Shallow sump already?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotClayShooter View Post
    I fitted g60 discs with 288mm calipers and carriers< replaced everything in the rear brakes apart from the backing plates. and then found out it was the compensator not allowing fluid through to the driver side .... Binned it with no issues ive thrown it into roundabouts in the wet and stamped on the pedal and not been able to lock it up...

Shallow sump already?
    I’ll raise the engine first and go from there. I didn’t need a shallow sump on the other van.

Now this didn't take long did it.

That Rob is a bad influence! Between him and Tontoe ive now purchased coilovers, rear shocks and poly suspension bits among other bits like a Cupra arb ....
    A month ago i had no intention of lowering the bloody thing!

Quote Originally Posted by swainy View Post
    Now this didn't take long did it.
    I held off doing it for a couple of days

Tommy you obviously know deep down it's the right thing to do.
    There's a caddy down in Portland (where I am at the mo for work) with a half decent set of wheels that needs the lowering treatment, didn't get chance to speak to the owner to convince him.

Quote Originally Posted by swainy View Post
    Tommy you obviously know deep down it's the right thing to do.
    There's a caddy down in Portland (where I am at the mo for work) with a half decent set of wheels that needs the lowering treatment, didn't get chance to speak to the owner to convince him.
    I just hope my spine and teeth can cope lol
    What Jesus handles fit the van to help me get out?

Due to work commitments, family and racing I didn’t get anything done to the van last weekend so I stayed late after work tonight and after replacing the front wheel bearings in my bike I got the van over the pit and chopped the brake compensator spring bracket down. I’ve no idea why the previous owner didn’t do this when he flipped the axle. It’s made the brake pedal a lot firmer.
    After chatting with Rob earlier I’ve ordered a new pair of rear wheel cylinders, I’m going to re furb the rear brakes. I also want to check figment of my wheels over the 280mm setup on the other van. If they clear I’ll fit them on the front and flush the brake system.
    Since owning the van I’ve noticed the ride is really bouncy and the rear crashes a bit so tonight at 10pm I decided to swap the rear shocks for my koni reds. I’ll see what improvement they have made tomorrow.

I should have cleaned them before fitting really.

Pic of me on Sunday

Had a trial fit of the pontiacs on old green doors tonight. Fronts look to poke a little more than I’d hoped but they might be ok when tyres are fitted. Unfortunately the tyres I have are knackered so I’m going to have to get some more. It’s an expense I could do without.

I found replacing the plastic pads that the shoes sit against on the backing plate helped the rear brakes .
    Ive got everything new in the rear and in 11 years of mk2 ownership its the first time ive had decent rear brakes.

I found replacing the plastic pads that the shoes sit against on the backing plate helped the rear brakes .
    Ive got everything new in the rear and in 11 years of mk2 ownership its the first time ive had decent rear brakes.
    11 years and you haven’t lowered it yet?

2 of them were sdi and gave me no inclination to do anything lol
    Spax top adjustables and gaz gold rears sitting in the back of the van just now!
    just need top mount bearings , adjustable shackles and spring mounts ... But slammed isnt on the cards lol
    The coils will be wound to the top! then the rear made level...

Gave the van a wash today. Cleaned the washer jets out so now they work.

Had a few minutes after work tonight so knocked up an engine raiser for the gearbox mount. I’ve got a couple of pucks coming for the front and rear mounts.
    I had a spare bit of thick wall hydraulic tube so I turned it down to 25mm on the lathe. Then bored a 10.2mm hole through a piece of 25mm bright round bar. Cut two pieces off at 25mm then bolted them to a spare mount I had, I then welded them to the hydraulic tube. Gave them a quick prime and black top coat.

In other news. I found out tonight that the cup holders aren’t that great. I had a new can of red bull in one of them. Driving through town it fell out and hit something which split the can open and sprayed red bull all over the door card.

Is this something i need to do with my 35mm drop?

Is this something i need to do with my 35mm drop?
    Might be a tad over kill for that drop

Rob came to see me tonight at work with 4 lengths of 12mm stainless bar. I’m too tight to buy new extended U bolts so we made our own. I threaded each end in the lathe first then we tried heating one to bend it but it didn’t really work so we made a jig and pressed them.
    Looks like Rob didn’t get this one lined up too well one side is longer than the other but it will be ok.

All done

First photo of both of our vans together

I should have a delivery of new parts coming tomorrow as well as new tyres.