Thread: New Control Arms - best quality?

New Control Arms - best quality?

Will be putting on new Control Arms, bushings, ball joints on the 82 diesel pickup.

Will use the robber bushings, not the poly models.

Any particular brand of Control arm actually better than another?

If you are wanting to update these parts then why do you not want poly bushes to be used?

Per two friends who put them on as well as some I know who work on them - not as road friendly on our gravel/dirt and farm to market roads.
    Mainly wondering if any particular make of the control arms are any better than another, or some in particular to stay away from.

Standard Vw rubber stiffness is around 80 shore.
    Just look up the details for polybushes and try and get the same.
    Did your friends lower their cars too?

No lowering. That would end up with major problems on the unpaved mountain roads in Idaho and Nevada where we lived at the time. Wanted more ground clearance, not less.

On Control arms, any brand to stay away from? A lot of suppliers and a few makers. Want good quality and even better than stock if it is possible. Ratty roads, farm fields do take a toll on things. Add in winters going 40 below and summers 100 above and we have some varied conditions to drive in. Studded snow tires sure are nice with the front wheel drive. Nokian Haaka's with studs are much better than any other winter tire I have tried.

With the age of the truck I'm going through things that need attention. Ball joints wearing so will replace with the control arms. Put in new rear springs last year and they are nice. New front Spring/Strut unit and new wheel bearing unit, Parts Place. Makes it nice as they are mainly bolt off/bolt on.

Replacing the carpeting, roof liner and various interior stuff. Want a nicer ride and I'll get if I do it.

I got some brand that started with an L and was made in Italy. Very nice.

From this guy. Bushings were febi and and another German brand.

http://r.ebay.com/Kh5x6Q

Anyone know if it actually makes a difference if one uses Febi, Lemforder, Dorman or Moog?
    If one is actually better in use somehow I would rather go with it.

While we are at it, do Ball Joints with zerk fittings for re-greasing make sense these days for this vehicle? I see some are available though most no longer have them.
    Last edited by Deardorff; 09-09-2018 at 07:27 PM.

I have always been a fan of FEBI bits since Al introduced me