Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mk1 Caddy - AHU Build

Mk1 Caddy - AHU Build

Hi all,

I've back in the caddy game...

It's a pretty honest truck, it's had mods as you can see but the body work is original, it's pretty solid and it hasn't been messed about with much.

It will be a pretty slow project, but the general plans are:

• Keep the paintwork original, I'm not fussed by the knocks and dings as it's all original. The rear bulkhead needs a repair and maybe carry out some work to get the rear bed in better condition and to prevent the bodywork deteriorating.
    • I have a lockable chest and rear bed cover which lifts on hinges to fit from one of my old trucks. But I'll have a think about what's possible to modify it as I'd like it to be easier to carry 6" x 4" boards in the back.
    • Interior needs some work as the original items were taken out and replaced with mk3 seats, part finished door cards and a sporty steering wheel. Generally back to a nicer version of the original and maybe a bench seat. I can't remember if I have some original door cards already.
    • Place an original / chrome front bumper back on it
    • I'm going to replace the 1.6 petrol with an AHU 1.9 TDi out of a mk3 golf estate I have. It's an emotional thing, the estate has been an absolute beast after purchasing it as a shed to keep car parts dry it then got put through an MOT when I was renovating our house and has been on the road flying through MOT's since...

2018.04.29 - Purchase Pics 01.jpg
    2018.04.29 - Purchase Pics 02.jpg
    2018.04.29 - Purchase Pics 03.jpg
    2018.04.29 - Purchase Pics 04.jpg
    2018.04.29 - Purchase Pics 05.jpg

I'm busy doing research on the engine conversion but it's pretty hard to find all the info in one place so I'll reserve the next couple of posts for a parts list and what to take from the donor car which may help others in the future...

Good to back as a caddy owner!

AHU Conversion Parts

I'm planning on using the mk3 02A gearbox with hydraulic clutch and cable change shifter.

Work in progress as research is ongoing...

CLUTCH
    Hydraulic clutch conversion
    http://www.retrofication.co.uk/MK1DIYHydro.html

COOLING
    1.6D Mk1 caddy radiator as a bigger core
    Pipes from mk1 or mk3?

DRIVETRAIN
    100mm Cabrio driveshafts
    Do the chassis legs need to be notched?

ENGINE & GEARBOX MOUNTS
    http://www.retrofication.co.uk/351and308.html

Speedo cable
    http://www.retrofication.co.uk/speedocable.html

Throttle position sensor and pedal from donor

DBW conversion
    Conversion plate to fix mk4 pedal
    https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/ew1120.htm

Mk4 accelerator pedal.
    Websites seem to show using the mk4 pedal rather than a mk3? Anyone know why?

Imobiliser delete

Cable change gear linkage - cut out from mk3 and weld in

Pump?

Intercooler / pipes

FILTERS
    Diesel filter from 1.6D mk1 caddy, or the mk3 golf?

OTHER
    Power steering delete - need to work out any different tensioners / shorter belts

Golf Mk3 Donor

Parts to take from the mk3 golf that are compatible for mk1 engine conversion...
    - Engine etc
    - Larger servo and MC?
    - Diesel filter?
    - loom and ECU

Parts Wanted

Mk4 accelerator pedal
    Caddy Sport Rear Bumper
    Front bumper in good condition

I'm sure i recognise that caddy, did u buy it from Devon? Definitely seen it before somewhere.

I have a sports tow bar...

Not sure if that pedal bracket for the accelerator pedal will work, given your caddy is right hand drive and not left

Al's getting some stainless front and rear bumpers made, keep an eye out in the shop

I have a AHU. No need to do immobilizer deleat as it's just a ring on a wire that goes over the ignition barel. Mine still uses mk3 key.
    It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits!

nice clean caddy! i have a front bumper in decent condition with indicators + wiring, numberplate mount and a duckbill spoiler but it looks like its been cut down the middle, can glue some plastic in middle or get new one, they're pretty cheap. will bolt right onto your caddy, heres some pics, send me a message, you're only an hourish away!
    caddy bumper.jpg
    caddy bumper 2.jpg

Ive fitted the same engine as you. I used everything from the mk3 that I could, to make life easier down the line, including the entire loom. The loom took a lot of headscratching and adjusting of cable lengths.

For the pedal I used the electrical gubbins from the mk3 and mounted the potentiometer above the pedal with an exhaust clamp, and just reworked the mk1 pedal with some steel bar welded to it to hook up to the dbw. Was easy really. I could make it more aesthetically pleasing, but it works, and no one will ever see it.

I used the mk3 servo, just modified the end in the usual manner, again easy.

The biggest ball ache is definitely the wiring, if you have the budget for it, I definitely recommend paying someone to hook it up to the original loom for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF666 View Post
    I have a sports tow bar...
    I tried to message you but your inbox is full. If you could PM me details I'd be interested

Quote Originally Posted by andyscaddy View Post
    I'm sure i recognise that caddy, did u buy it from Devon? Definitely seen it before somewhere.
    No it wasn't from Devon. It probably looks like have the caddy's out there lowered on BBS's

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    Not sure if that pedal bracket for the accelerator pedal will work, given your caddy is right hand drive and not left
    I'm glad you said that... I messaged them and they confirmed it's for LHD cars only! Thanks for saving me some money!

Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post
    Al's getting some stainless front and rear bumpers made, keep an eye out in the shop
    Sounds good... is that rear Mk1 caddy bumpers too?

No sign yet... hopefully will be up for sale soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    nice clean caddy! i have a front bumper in decent condition with indicators + wiring, numberplate mount and a duckbill spoiler but it looks like its been cut down the middle, can glue some plastic in middle or get new one, they're pretty cheap. will bolt right onto your caddy, heres some pics, send me a message, you're only an hourish away!
    Thanks - I have a lower spoiler already. I'll hold on for tidy unmodified original, or small bumper ideally.
    If you'd sell the indicators & wiring separately then I'd be interested in those.

Quote Originally Posted by sallyandsean View Post
    I have a AHU. No need to do immobilizer deleat as it's just a ring on a wire that goes over the ignition barel. Mine still uses mk3 key.
    My friends garage can arrange for the immobilizer delete and can re-programme the ecu for a bit extra power so figured that route would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    Ive fitted the same engine as you. I used everything from the mk3 that I could, to make life easier down the line, including the entire loom. The loom took a lot of headscratching and adjusting of cable lengths.

For the pedal I used the electrical gubbins from the mk3 and mounted the potentiometer above the pedal with an exhaust clamp, and just reworked the mk1 pedal with some steel bar welded to it to hook up to the dbw. Was easy really. I could make it more aesthetically pleasing, but it works, and no one will ever see it.

I used the mk3 servo, just modified the end in the usual manner, again easy.

The biggest ball ache is definitely the wiring, if you have the budget for it, I definitely recommend paying someone to hook it up to the original loom for you.
    I'm dreading the wiring a little - torn between putting the whole CE2 fusebox in and splicing in the dash and lighting, or hooking it up to the original loom as you say. Did you find any good guides out there when you did yours? Does anyone know anybody that creates looms for this?

Quote Originally Posted by hgiblin View Post
    I tried to message you but your inbox is full. If you could PM me details I'd be interested
    Am a bit pushed for time at the moment. Box is empty....

I have a mk3 golf o2o td box with 60k on if your interested will save you going hydro clutch
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy