Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ABF Turbo?

ABF Turbo?

Hi all, so as the title suggests im toying with the idea of turbo-ing my ABF engine. Obviously ive lifted it out to strip,clean etc and to do my engine bay but while its out, been thinking fuck it why not!

Has anyone on here ever done it and could help me out on like what parts i will need, what power it can make on stock internals or what forged internals it will need? Obviously theres a classic ebay kit but if i do it, i dont want it to blow up! Ive seen that theres a fully forged turbo ABF for sale on ebay for £4000 but im sure i can build mine for less??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-2-0-16...-/253461146011

Any help is appreciated!

Wouldn’t bother with an eBay kit, not so much because they’re full of only cheap bits but you will end up not using most of the parts it comes with so you’d be better off buying the parts individually. Budget wise, totally depends on what you can actually afford as you could literally spend an unlimited amount of money. I don’t have any experience of the 16vt but I’m sure the standard internals would handle 300hp, that’s nothing to frown upon!

I dont wanna go mental power, 300bhp would be ample! and ah right, in that case i'll have to do some digging and find out what parts i need, i'd like to buy some quality stuff but obviously like you say you could just spend and spend! What would be a suitable size turbo you reckon?

i don't know about other brand turbos but with Garrett a GT28 or GT30 will be ideal for a 2L. parts wise, there will be loads of bits you need but the most expensive bits will be turbo, inlet/exhaust manifolds, injectors and engine management. you got any ideas what you think you might do about management? aftermarket ECUs are awesome, i have an Emerald K6 but alot like everything else...it's expensive. i think with the loom and sensors you're looking around £1100.

The important thing to appreciate is it's definitely going to cost more than 20VT conversion which would easily see you to 200 ponies

Im with Fuus on this one 20vt Will do the job and be much cheaper!
    Theres a mk2 van running 280hp in Kirkwall for £1600 Thats all the bits needed more or less and the shell with cupra front to flog on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    The important thing to appreciate is it's definitely going to cost more than 20VT conversion which would easily see you to 200 ponies
    I'm not saying "don't do it", as if that engine and the caddy's current setup is your passion then I implore you to stick a turbo on it.

Just think that in 12 months time you might look back and think to yourself "I wish I had just stuck a 20V in it"

I also agree with fuss and SCS, having done a turbo conversion myself I can tell you the price will escalate. If you just want your caddy to be “fast” then a 20vt is undoubtably the way to go for not much money. If you want it to look good and be relatively unique then turbo the 16v for sure!

Appreciate the replies guys! Yeah ive accepted that its going to cost, and cost especially more with the route i want to go. Youre 100% right fuus about the 1.8t swap but the more i go to shows the more i see them in mk1’s and mk2’s and its getting a bit boring, unless its running big power then a 1.8T doesnt interest me as its becoming so common and i wanna do something a bit mad and different! Havent looked into it much yet about management etc so im going to have to do my research but its not like its the first ever ABFT and im doing all the hours i can at work atm to build a good budget so id like to give it a punt, just need to get myself a bit more clued up

id' stay gt28rsr - any bigger will be shit and laggy

you could try something a bit newer tech wise

I can do you a broken down list of the parts I’ve used and what they cost to give you an idea if you like

Please mate that’d be a massive help! and yeah thats looking like the one to get 13, says between 250 and 360bhp so that would be spot on to run at my aim of around 300ish ponies

ill do my best! this should give you some idea, there will be bits i've missed and i guessed some prices as it was a while ago i bought them. also, some of these parts are only appropriate for my VR6 build but thought it's useful to know.
    Garrett GTX3582r Gen2 - £1800
    Emerald K6 ecu and loom - £1100
    injectors - £300
    Tial wastegate - £220
    ARP rod bolts -£100
    ARP head studs - £200
    inlet manifold - £380
    intercoller and piping - £150
    BOV - £60
    Wideband controller - £140
    AEM fuel pressure reg - £120
    AEROMOTIVE fuel rail - £50
    ACT 6 paddle clutch - £450
    MSD coil packs - £400
    federal 595 rsr tyres x2 - £160
    exhaust parts - £150
    head spacer - £40
    AN hose/fittings - god knows at least £500 (totally un needed)
    bosch 044 pump - £170
    mapping session -£300

the two most important parts on that list that you should do FIRST if you havent already is the clutch and tyres. all that power is useless without them. and of course if you can afford it, get an LSD... thats next on the list for me

god, i wish i hadn't just totalled that.... almost £7000...

You running stock rods and pistons then? Just with uprated bolts?

Yes mate, stock rods and pistons

Wow thats some list! yeah that opens my eyes on cost a bit more haha!! I guess some parts are more expensive for your setup as youre running more power than what id want but if im doing my build right it probably wont be a million miles off that. In regards to clutch i was going to do thr vr6 clutch and g60 flywheel combo anyway but do you think id need to go better still now i want to turbo? Also after a bit of looking online i get the impression theres not many bolt on parts for an ABF when you boost it, more of “use this and modify that” type of build which isnt a problem, but my engine knowledge is very limited so id need help on some things in regards to what to modify and how. Its also fucking shite that every build thread i look at for help/info has been ruined thanks to photofuckit

tell me about it, that PB thing has pissed me off so much. With regards to bits not being straight bolt up to the 16v it's the same with the VR6. i wouldn't let that bother you too much. things like turbo, ECU etc which will be the biggest expense are "universal" as such anyway s whatever you fit them too it will take some fucking about. same with boost pipes/ intercooler/ exhaust. there's no way you could buy those bits off the shelf (one piece all joins welded together)

Clutch wise, the standard VR6 clutch is good but mine did slip on boost and that was only 300hp. you definitely don't need to go for a 6 paddle clutch (they feel like shit to drive in the town) i went for it purely so i don't have to upgrade it again! so whilst it's all apart i'd consider an upgraded one.

Quote Originally Posted by worthingcaddy View Post
    ill do my best! this should give you some idea, there will be bits i've missed and i guessed some prices as it was a while ago i bought them. also, some of these parts are only appropriate for my VR6 build but thought it's useful to know.
    Garrett GTX3582r Gen2 - £1800
    Emerald K6 ecu and loom - £1100
    injectors - £300
    Tial wastegate - £220
    ARP rod bolts -£100
    ARP head studs - £200
    inlet manifold - £380
    intercoller and piping - £150
    BOV - £60
    Wideband controller - £140
    AEM fuel pressure reg - £120
    AEROMOTIVE fuel rail - £50
    ACT 6 paddle clutch - £450
    MSD coil packs - £400
    federal 595 rsr tyres x2 - £160
    exhaust parts - £150
    head spacer - £40
    AN hose/fittings - god knows at least £500 (totally un needed)
    bosch 044 pump - £170
    mapping session -£300

the two most important parts on that list that you should do FIRST if you havent already is the clutch and tyres. all that power is useless without them. and of course if you can afford it, get an LSD... thats next on the list for me
    I’m sure there’s loads more dollar you’ve spent, that you can’t remember too!

ah right i didnt know if there were more custom off the shelf parts for the VR as im starting to see it more often now which is awesome, but yeah it doesnt bother me too much, my job involves fucking about to make things fit nearly all the time so hopefully that will help me haha. And i see, i’ll look into a more suitable clutch then as id rather not fuck it after a couple hundred miles. Also with the ECU, do emerald personalise it to your setup then or are there just lots of preset configurations to choose from?