Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Caddy VR5 Build

Another small update.

I got out there this morning and got the front subframe off so I can get the ARB off. I've got some Powerflex ARB bushes on order so when they arrive I can get it all back on again. I've been lucky so far in that everything has come undone easily

I also managed to buy a black dash from a Seat Cordoba this week. I'll still have to dye my grey glovebox lid and do something with the grey door cards but this dash is in much better condition than the grey one

This morning we took the boys Karting (in the rain) and then went for lunch. This afternoon was earmarked for van work. However, in typical bank holiday fashion it continued to piss it down for the rest of the day!

Not wanting to waste an entire free afternoon I decided to try and get the knackered old bushes out of the wishbones. That meant a trip to Wickes for some M8 threaded rod, big washers and some nuts. 15% off today so that was good

I got home, selected some suitable sized sockets and set to work. My effort lasted at least 20 minutes before the thread stripped on the threaded rod :furious: So off I went to Wickes again and picked up some M10 threaded rod, thicker washers and more nuts. Round two was more successful and I got one of the bushes out in about twenty minutes. Enthused by my progress I got straight on with the other arm and promptly stripped the thread on the rod! The bush was about half way out at this point but wasn't budging any further. By this point I'd lost my patience and got the blow torch out. It took about 10 minutes of intense burning for the metal sleeve to drop out and then I was able to push the burnt bit of rubber out.

With the two trips to Wickes that was my entire afternoon used up! Better than sitting around the house I guess.

In my frustration I forgot to take any more pictures so here's the only one I took.

I got home early from work this evening so thought I'd have another look at how to fit the Mk4 Golf accelerator pedal. I think I've figured out a position for it to sit in but I need to get a small box fabricated to bolt it to. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fabricate anything so this is going to be an interesting part of the build! This is the space I have to make something up. I'll be utilising the 3 studs sticking out of the bulkhead to bolt the box down. I'm going to start off with some card to get the shape right and then I'll have to ask someone really nicely to make it out of metal for me.

Last edited by Sammo; 03-04-2018 at 08:27 PM.

i promise you sammo you are not talking to yourself! i have been reading!

Interesting and unusual engine choice! Theres been a few guys fitting the Pd engine with the dbw pedal I will see if Erkan minds if i share his pic....

Someone will be along with the info soon but i seem to remember reading that the mk3 vr6 engine mount fits the v5
    Last edited by ScotClayShooter; 03-04-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Cant say I know of any v5 mk2 caddys.
    Good job for doing one

Oh, I might of forgotten to mention that I need to have this finished before the weekend of the 19th-20th May. That weekend is the Retro Rides Weekender which I have camping tickets for and also a slot of track time as well. I got the track time email this morning which set off a bit of panic haha!

Nothing like setting yourself a deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by swainy View Post
    Nothing like setting yourself a deadline.
    Yeh, its a little unrealistic but I'll see what I can do haha!

Nice, I would say it was a good read but there was so much to read I just skimmed through it .
    Setting a deadline is something I need to do with my build.

Love a good build thread like this mate. Keep us updated with plenty of pics lol

I had confirmation today that the Loom has arrived with the guy that's splicing it for me and the ECU has arrived with the other guy that's taking out everything that isn't needed They're both aware of the timeframe I'm working to so are setting to work ASAP to try and help me get the van finished.

Annoyingly I'm still waiting for my Powerflex ARB bushes to arrive. I was hoping to get the subframe back on this weekend so I could prepare to drop the van back on its wheels, but without the bushes that's not happening!
    Last edited by Sammo; 06-04-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty85 View Post
    Nice, I would say it was a good read but there was so much to read I just skimmed through it .
    Setting a deadline is something I need to do with my build.
    Definitely!!!!!!
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Sammo what shafts are you using ???

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    Sammo what shafts are you using ???
    I have no idea haha. I've got a pair of shafts with 100mm joints in the back of the van which I bought about 10 years ago. I'm going to see what state they're in and then figure it out from there.

Just been looking on the Retrofication website and they've sold out of the 02a clutch cable actuators. That's kind of stumped me now. I was fully intending on running a cable clutch but without one of these that idea goes out of the window.

messeage Al, he maybe able to get you one still

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.F View Post
    messeage Al, he maybe able to get you one still
    Tdi pedal box?

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    Tdi pedal box?
    Ideally that's what I'd go for but it requires welding in a strengthening plate for the master cylinder and I can't weld!