Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Mk2 Caddy VR5 Build

Excellent. One thing I will say is its not always a good idea to say no rush!

Quote Originally Posted by DMF666 View Post
    Excellent. One thing I will say is its not always a good idea to say no rush!
    Thankfully he has quite small premises so I know he’ll want my old heap out of the way as quick as possible

Another little update. Due to the awful weather we’ve had over the last few months I haven’t been near the van! However today it was sunny outside. Unfortunately we’ve got the family coming round later which has stopped me being able to do anything really.

Anyway, I was putting some stuff in the shed and spotted my accelerator pedal box sitting on the side. A while ago I’d sprayed it in black Hammerite and then left it there.

Apparently I didn’t take a picture of it sprayed. So heres one in bare metal.

While I was in the shed I figured I’d spend a couple of minutes just bolting the pedal to the box. They were both sat there so why not.

Once I’d finished that I thought to myself “well the van is just there on the driveway. I might as well fit the pedal!” So I did

I’m happy to say that my CAD (cardboard aided design) designed pedal box fits perfectly and the pedal is in exactly the right position! I even got the angle right!!!

That’s it for today. Hopefully it will stop all this winter nonsense soon and I can start getting back out there

Quote Originally Posted by mitty85 View Post
    Much left to do before it runs?
    Loads. I need to compile a list so I can start crossing things off.

At about 3am this morning I woke up feeling rather unwell and then proceeded to spend the next five hours being sick! I rang in sick at about 6am and stayed in bed / continued running to the bathroom for a couple more hours. Thankfully I stopped being sick and got a few hours sleep, eventually waking up at about 1pm.

After having some dry toast (possibly the most boring piece of food in the world!) I decided to get on with extending the small piece of loom for the DBW throttle pedal. Due to the size of the plugs on each end of this loom I had to cut it, solder on an extension, feed the extension through the hole in the bulkhead and then solder the other plug back on!

Anyway, I got stuck straight in, chopped the loom and started getting it ready to extend. I forgot to take a picture of the loom beforehand. This was it after being cut and clamped ready to extend.

My soldering has improved massively over the years. This could actually be considered tidy now

Six wires and some heat shrink later and we had this.

With the extension wiring attached it was time to head outside and find a hole to feed it through. I found this one which I think is for the bonnet release cable. It was in the perfect position so it’s been hijacked for this instead. I’ll find another way of routing the bonnet release.

I fed the cable through from inside.

With the bare wires now in the engine bay it was time to crack out my gas powered soldering iron. It’s a handy little thing but takes an age to heat up!

It was really cold outside so I didn’t waste any time and just got on with it as quick as possible!

All done and heat shrinked

All that was left to do was to wrap the loom in loom tape and then get back indoors and defrost!

Only a small step again but at least it’s another thing I can cross off the list

Small steps but like you say it’s another thing off the list.