Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 8V MK1 Caddy Quick build (hopefully)

2L 8V MK1 Caddy Quick build (hopefully)

Have owned the caddy for 2 years, stripped the engine in the first few months, then just left it, finally got the motivation after a year and a half to build it up. Using a 2.0 8V engine from a mk1 golf gti, should have all the parts i need, anything i need i'll just steal from my brothers gti (don't tell him) The caddy has been off the road for 12 years, probably longer, last owner apparently paid £1k for the welding, which is awful. With that in mind, i'm not building a clean caddy, it's going to look rough, but not ratty, There's not too much rust to deal with thankfully so should not take too long. Here are the pics.

This is how it looked when i got it.
    Caddy untouched.jpg
    Removing the engine (sorry for the pictures being sideways, too lazy to fix)
    removing engine.jpgremoving engine pt2.jpg
    engine removed.jpgengine on floor.jpg
    Cleaned up the engine bay(1 and a half years later) it came up really nice! wasn't expecting it to be so clean
    Sadly a big tree branch fell on the windscreen and smashed it, have a replacement though!
    Cleaned engine bay.jpg
    assessing the damage
    tackling the shit.jpgtackiling the shit 2.jpg
    tackling the shit pt3.jpgassessing the crap 3.jpg
    assessing the crap 2.jpgassessing the crap.jpg
    assessing the crap 4.jpg
    finding the rust
    rust 1.jpgrust 2.jpg
    rust 3.jpgrust 4.jpg
    rust 5.jpgrust 6.jpg
    rust 7.jpg
    previous owner paid for this.. apparently
    shit welds.jpgshit welds 2.jpg
    Welding up the rust, forgot to take pictures..
    weld 1.jpgweld 2.jpg
    taking it down to bare metal, took 6 hours, 1 hour a day after work
    bare metal 1.jpgbare metal 2.jpg
    Making plug holes
    plugging holes.jpg
    plugging holes, preparing for welding, whenever i get gas
    plugging holes 2.jpgplugging holes 3.jpg
    plugging holes 4.jpgplugging holes 5.jpg
    plugging holes 6.jpg
    Coated in red oxide primer, only 1 coat for now still need to weld up the holes and small bits of rust i duct taped over for now
    red oxide 1.jpgred oxide 2.jpg

Thats all for now, next task is to remove more underseal from the rear arches, sand down the primer thats rusted on the bodywork then weld it all up!

Also like to add, i know nothing about cars, i'm learning, i have help, but if anyone has pointers or criticism i'd be happy to hear!
    Last edited by Nick-Nack; 03-04-2018 at 09:36 PM.

For someone who knows nothing about cars, it looks great. I'm in the same boat as you although.my work is nowhere near as good as yours.

Quick project.....

Project length sweepstake guys?

Oh an Great stuff so far!

Thanks jango, appreciate that!
    Last edited by Nick-Nack; 16-03-2018 at 09:02 PM.

So It's been almost a month, snow kept me from working on it for a while, so i made a quick shelter so i can at least work on the inside floor, jig should be coming in a few days so i can start on the underneath.

Shelter 1.jpgshelter 2.jpg

Removing the rust on the floor, not happy with the paint, going to grind some areas down and redo them.
    floor raw 1.jpgfloor raw 2.jpg
    painted floor 1.jpgpainted floor 2.jpg

Left the rust holes for now, floor isnt perfect, even though it was brand new, previous owner didnt put red oxide or etched primer down so it just rusted.
    Theres some pitting and extensive surface rust in some areas, i cleaned up most of it, i plan on rebuilding it next winter, and i'm not happy with the floors anyways, so ill replace them before they start rusting anyways.

Been Cleaning up parts in the meantime, once the jigs here, should make life a lot easier too!

Bit More progress, Got the caddy on the jig, was really sketchy to lift it up so high

sketchy jig 1.jpg
    on the jig.jpg

Then Started poking around, assessing the damage, worst of it is the leaf spring turrets

caddy under 9 bad.jpg
    caddy under 8.jpg
    caddy under 5.jpg
    caddy under 4.jpg
    caddy under 3.jpg
    caddy under 2.jpg
    caddy under 1.jpg
    caddy under 10.jpg
    caddy under 7.jpg

are these holes meant to be here?

caddy under 6.jpg

Decided to see what's under all this body filler..

caddy under 12.jpg
    body filler weld 1.jpg
    body filler weld 2.jpg
    body filler weld 3.jpg

Is this ok? to me it looks like previous owner just plated over the original metal, they like doing that..

started to tackle the floor, done half of it.

bare metal floor 1.jpg
    bare metal floor 2.jpg

Rust holes by jacking points, should be fairly ok to fix

rust on floor.jpg

Some dents that need fixing..

dent 1.jpg
    dent 2.jpg

Jig was heavy to turn, needed some weight saving

door on.jpg
    door off.jpg

Next was to get the real axle and leaf springs off, the bolts were seized, and the rubbers were all perished, so we cut them off, took 2 hours..

grinding bolt 1.jpg
    grinding bolt 2.jpg

Axle out, forgot to take pic of the underneath after it was out.

axle out.jpg

Not sure what to do with the sills, they welded all across them, but its awful welding, might have to grind it all back.

That's all for now, starting to get dark later so can work longer into the night!

got the floors almost done, just need to put on some rust to metal stuff in some areas

bare metal floor 3.jpg

Then ofcourse, previous owner did his normal thing of hiding his shitty welds and rust with layers of body filler...

floor welds 1.jpg
    floor welds 2.jpg
    floor welds 3.jpg
    floor welds 4.jpg
    floor welds 5.jpg
    floor welds 6.jpg
    floor welds 7.jpg
    floor welds 8.jpg

This is the handbrake guide pipe, how do i get the remainder out?

handbrake cable guide pipe.jpg

Floors need quite a bit of work, im also pretty sure they put new sills over the old ones, so will have to cut them off without damaging them to reuse.
    Thinking of putting a metal bar all the way along the sills and welding to that, the floor sill is rotten, should add a lot of strength.
    Going to cut out all the crappy welds and try salvage what's left, need to figure out how to make new bracing for the floor as its rusted and dented.

Then its onto the dreaded rear bed... want a coilover setup, not sure how to go about it as of now.
    That's all!

Alot of work ahead of you, only advice i would give is try to tackle one part at a time, you have alot uncovered and can soon get overwhelming, personally ill clean up an area lets say the jacking point repair and paint it and move on, but eveyone is different and what works for me might not work for others

yeah, thats the plan, i'll soon get a welder, but for now, im relying on a friend to do it for me, as he's teaching me at the same time, i'm confident to do tiny repairs, but i've no idea how to tackle any of the floor for now, so im just uncovering as much as possible, to make his life easier.

Small update, put some hammerite kurust on the floors to get up any bits of rust left, taped over the welds as there's holes that still need to be welded up and ill grind it down together.

hammerite floors.jpg
    hammerite floors 2.jpg

No idea if the stuff works, but it seemed to do a good job, i also put a layer of etched primer on in the rain which turned out ok, but water ran down bits of it as my shelter has holes in it..

Grinded down my fuel tank to test a patch of it to see how well the hammerite works as its pitted pretty badly, poly disc does wonders getting things down to bare metal!

fuel tank 1.jpg
    fuel tank hammerite.jpg

Will take it down to bare metal again tomorrow to see how well it does, then ill do the whole thing.

Inside of the tank needs a good clean, if its not raining tomorrow ill jetwash it or just use a hose.

fuel tank inside.jpg
    fuel tank inside 2.jpg

I have the fuel fuel sensor, but the cover and seal are shot, maybe i can make something instead of using the original cap.

You certainly have it all to to. Just like me.
    My progress has been really slow as I have been learning as I go.
    As the guys have said, pick one small task and do it nice, then move on otherwise it can get overwhelming.

If my limited experience is of any use, I would think about removing the patches on your sills that are towards the rear as you may find the internal panels may need attention.
    This has been my experience but one of the big boys here may have a better perspective.
    Good luck dude

thanks for the pointers jango, i want to remove the patches, but ive no idea what im doing, so i was just trying to uncover as much as possible because otherwise i'd be twiddling my thumbs not knowing what to do.
    next week my friend is finally finished with his rally so we should beable to get a lot of welding and cutting done.
    all im really doing is trying to make his life as easy as possible so he can focus on the work that needs to be done and teach me at the same time.
    I'm really too scared to go ahead and cut out pieces because i've no idea what i'm doing, learning is failing, but i can just be patient and see how my friend does it and have a go myself when he's around.

Always appreciate the comments!

Bit Of an update, more work done to the inner arch still not finished though.

inner arch hole.jpg
    inner arch weld.jpg

Decided to cut out the plate that previous did, to find... well, rust, will do it on the other side aswell.

removed plate.jpg

had part of a mini chassis lying around, needed thick steel so cut some out of that.

mini plate.jpg

Welded plate in at top, didnt have a blow torch, need to heat it up very hot and hit it into place

plate welded in.jpg

Stitch Welded the inner arches

stitch weld 1.jpg
    stitch weld 2.jpg

Stitch welded some chassis points to stiffen everything up

stitch before 1.jpg
    stitch before 2.jpg
    stitch weld 3.jpg
    stitch weld 4.jpg
    stitch weld 5.jpg

Then moved onto cutting, cut out chassis rails, to find some surprises..

chasiss rails 1.jpg
    chassis rail removed 1.jpg
    chassis rail removed 2.jpg
    chassis rail removed 3.jpg

Removed the plate covering everything up...

chassis rail surprise 1.jpg
    chassis rail surprise 2.jpg
    chassis rail surprise 3.jpg

Cutting plate covering all the crap..

chassis rail cutting.jpg

Cut off/ used spot welder drill bit to get jacking points off

jacking point 1.jpg
    jacking point 2.jpg
    jacking point cut 1.jpg

Then my friend let me have a go at welding some easy bits, not too bad for a first attempt!

Stitch welded the floor to reinforce it

stitch weld floor 1.jpg
    stitch weld floor 2.jpg
    stitch weld floor 3.jpg
    stitch weld floor 4.jpg
    stitch weld floor 5.jpg

That's all for now, Getting some thick plated steel and some box sections to put in the chassis rails, and cut out all the rust.

Got some more work done, really getting into it now and the progress is great!

More stitch welding done, prepped most of the areas and welded up half of it.

stitch weld prep 2.jpg
    stitch weld prep 1.jpg
    stitch weld bay 1.jpg
    stitch weld bay 3.jpg

Then my friend let me have a go at welding, he tacked them for me, then off i went

plug hole weld 1.jpg
    plug hole weld 2.jpg

Not the best welding.. but im learning

plug hole weld 3.jpg
    plug hole weld 4.jpg

Then he let me loose to try on my own!

plug hole weld 5.jpg
    plug hole weld 6.jpg
    plug hole weld 7.jpg

Need to grind them back, but i think it's not too bad for a beginner

Next was to fix the huge rust hole previous owner covered up

chassis rail rust 2.jpg

Welding it up!

chassis rail weld 1.jpg
    chassis rail weld 2.jpg
    chassis rail weld 5.jpg

Red Oxide'd it for now

red oxide chassis rail 1.jpg

Time to make the chassis rails, took some box section and cut it in half

cutting box section.jpg

Making 4 strips go to beside the box section to weld to it, floor is too thin to weld to it.

strips.jpg
    strips 2.jpg
    strips 4.jpg

Didn't have thick enough plating to reinforce the wishbone mounts on the end of the chassis rails, so that will have to be welded in another day.

Some reason a few pictures didn't want to upload, tomorrow hoping to get a lot of work done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Progress is fast! Keep it up man it will be rot free in no time

Wow, you are certainly learning quickly. Your friend is a godsend. I must get a friend one day.

Thanks lumberjack! i know, the front is close to being done! then its just the rear, i know the welding isnt the best, its hard to fully clean some areas but i can just grind it back, but the welds are super strong.

haha, yes i am jango! yeah, he is great!

got some more work done today, all of the following work was done by myself, while my friend supervised me, kinda.. so brace yourselfs.

Cut out this lower inner arch bit that was rusted, put in 2mm thick sheet metal so super strong, then plated over that!

chassis rail strut cut 1.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 1.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 2.jpg

Forgot to take pic of it it welded up, but then i plated over that to make it all very strong and drilled holes then welded em up for even more strength.

chassis rail strut weld 3.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 4.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 5.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 6.jpg

Drilled holes and welded them up on the other piece too.

chassis rail strut weld 7.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 8.jpg
    chassis rail strut weld 9.jpg

Tidying up some welds on the inner arch, smoothing stuff up, plugging the last hole!

inner arch fishing up 1.jpg
    inner arch finishing up 2.jpg
    inner arch finishing up 3.jpg
    inner arch finishing up 4.jpg

Stitching up last bits of the inner arch

inner arch stitch 1.jpg
    inner arch stitch 2.jpg
    inner arch stitch 3.jpg
    inner arch stitch 4.jpg
    inner arch stitch 5.jpg
    inner arch stitch 6.jpg

Inner arch pretty much done!

inner arch finished 1.jpg
    inner arch finished 2.jpg

Just have the turret to fix up and it's done on the passenger side.
    Drivers side is worse as it has really bad patches and i think i'm going to leave those alone.
    Proud of the work i did for 3rd time welding, although i grind'd my welds down as they were... a bit proud

Hopefully get a lot of work done on the floor tomorrow and maybe even finish up on the front, but that's pushing it!