Thread: Does anyone know this Caddy?

Does anyone know this Caddy?

Does anyone know this Caddy?

Hi all Caddy experts I have been wanting a mk1 caddy for 20 years and finally have the opportunity to buy one, after looking at a load of rust buckets I thought I might try to buy one that is in good order or hopefully in good order to start. The one I am about to look at is meant to be a VW caddy sport but I was hoping to get some information to help prove this, I have a photo of the bulk head sticker and it has the right engine code and gear box code, I’ll try to attach this and I have the number plate J392 UTF

Does anyone know anything about this caddy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it a caddy sport with no bodykit?

i might have looked at buying it in 2008

Got pictures of it in fact from 2008

Its a sport and was in good nick

Is it for sale in Cranleigh? Mk4 golf seats? Owners called Mike?
    I've seen it in the flesh and its not all that great, the bulkhead needs replacing, its rusted and been covered in stone chip, and all the bodykits been covered in stone chip too

Al's seen it in the flesh

thumb_Caddy sport_1024.jpg
    Last edited by blenki; 24-01-2018 at 01:57 PM.

The engine and gearbox code doesn't prove its a Sport! You would need the PR codes for that, and it looks like they are missing or rubbed off that production sticker.

JH engines with the 4S gearbox were fitted to later std Caddy's as an option. These are thinner on the ground than sports!

I would need to see other tell tale signs to confirm if it was a Sport, but at the end of the day it doesnt really matter, a solid rust free Caddy is more desirable than any model

EDIT: Blenki posted that pic whilst I was on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post

Al's seen it in the flesh
    Have I

Seen so many its a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Have I

Seen so many its a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    At that little show at the polo club that Taggy came down for

Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post
    At that little show at the polo club that Taggy came down for
    Still not clicking with me lol. Probably didnt look that hard at it

Ratfink! I nearly went to look at it. Was around where blenks is saying. Seemed genuine then.....

Quote Originally Posted by DMF666 View Post
    Ratfink! I nearly went to look at it. Was around where blenks is saying. Seemed genuine then.....
    That's it

It's changed hands since and gone down hill, such a shame as it was a tidy caddy

Thanks for the info, yes you are right about the owner who’s called mike. If the extra info is missing of the bulkhead sticker then how else do you know if it a genuine sport?

This is the information so far from eBay but I haven’t seen it yet and not sure when the work was done.

For sale is my VW Caddy Mk1 Sport, I have stripped it back to a bare shell and restored extensively at a cost of over £15,000. Since this restoration it has covered 25,601 miles. It has been serviced every 5,000 miles. The car has been fully resprayed, fully rebuilt engine and gearbox, all new bearings and bushings throughout plus new interior including Recaro heated leather seats. I systematically worked through all the vehicle replacing almost everything.

I have just given the car a full service including air filter, oil+filter, fuel filter, distributor cap+rotor arm, plugs, gearbox oil change, brake fluid change, cambelt and auxiliary belt. I also put a full set of gloss Samco coolant and auxiliary hoses as one coolant hose had started to leak. I have no intention of selling something that will be unreliable, I want the new owner to enjoy it as much as much as I have.

The reason I am selling is my life plan has changed and I am travelling around Europe in my motorhome and have nowhere to store the vehicle.

I have all receipts in a folder with the original sales brochure to prove the work undertaken. My mission was to make it as reliable as a new car, which I achieved by using genuine or OEM quality parts. The restoration could have been completed for less money with cheaper parts but this would of sacrificed reliability and longevity. The car drives like a new vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ajo View Post
    Thanks for the info, yes you are right about the owner who’s called mike. If the extra info is missing of the bulkhead sticker then how else do you know if it a genuine sport?

its 100% an original sport

Ive known the caddy for the past 10 years from various owners

Just make sure you view it before you pay top money

Any top tips??

I'm waiting for the owner to get back into the country to view it and really appreciate any help!! Plus the help so far from all the reply's.

I have been looking into this Caddy a bit more and have found this information from VW, please see below as it may answer Al point about the PR code.
    Also I'm going to see it but am a bit concerned about the points about the bulk head and rust from blenki, any pointer her?

Thank you for speaking to me recently regarding your Volkswagen Caddy.

As discussed, you may find additional information from the Auto Museum website that I gave you the details from. Please find below the specification we have on your vehicle:

Brand: Volkswagen

Model year: 1990

Sales model: 148062

Engine code: JH

Gearbox code:

Vehicle ID no: WVWZZZ14ZLW005966

Description: CADDY PR/P+S/KA L 70 E 5G

Production date: 1990-05-21

Delivery date: 1992-04-30

Country code GBR

Dealer number 00330

I trust this information proves useful to you. Please feel free in contact me if you need any additional information.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Kind regards

Adrian Burns
    Customer Relations Advisor
    Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles