Thread: Polishing

Polishing

Can anyone tell me a sort of going rate for polishing parts? Im wanting my intake manifold doing and some other bits and the first quote ive had is £150 for the intake manifold, and £70 for the alternator. Does this sound reasonable to any of you? only asking as ive never sent anything away to be polished so just trying not to get ripped off!

Speak to a few other polishers and try and get a happy medium.

My lads Merc manifold I did
    IMG_1456.jpg

And alternator

IMG_1524.jpg

Not sure what polishers would charge though ? What manifold do you want doing ?

That manifold is superb Dave, do you use polishing balls in the nooks and crAnnies?

That's beaut Fisherman! And an ABF one so this

Intake Manifold.jpg

Or would i be better just getting it chromed?
    Last edited by Petr0lHed; 23-01-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Chrome painted maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikedave View Post
    Chrome painted maybe....
    Why, is chrome plating even more expensive?

You have to polish it first if you want to chrome it anyway, the quality of the chroming depends on how well its polished chrome doesn't fill any blemishes,simply gives it a shinier finish,the alternator I stripped down polished the parts and had chromed then rebuilt.This is the inlet manifold for the 16v I have just done just polished and the valve cover I polished and had chromed.
    Elroy I just have a bench polisher with a variety of mops and wheels,and a lot of different grades of wet & dry.

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    You have to polish it first if you want to chrome it anyway, the quality of the chroming depends on how well its polished
    Thats what i've heard yeah, is it more durable to the elements than just polishing too? That cam cover looks fantastic aswell

How many hours would a average cam cover take Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by Petr0lHed View Post
    Thats what i've heard yeah, is it more durable to the elements than just polishing too? That cam cover looks fantastic aswell
    Without doubt,a lot easier to maintain,alloy needs constantly repolishing,saying that when the chrome starts to go,its not so good. The cam cover I asked our local platers to do,they dont do alloy normally in the past I have sent alloy parts to Ashford chroming but they were quite expensive considering I did all the polishing beforehand,but with SMB I accepted responsibility if it didn't work,and it only cost me minimum charge,so well pleased with the outcome.....why dont you have a go yourself,start with 240 grit and work your way up through finer wet and dry its surprising the finish you will get,even if you can get to a 2000 finish and then Autosol it won't be a bad finish and if you know somebody with a polishing wheel that last quick polish really finishes it off !

Thats the gearbox I did just going at it with wet and dry,no final polishing wheel just a final finish with Autosol ,downside is it was an 020 and I have now got an 02a so I sold it and now Ive just started doing the new one

IMG_0884.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    How many hours would a average cam cover take Dave?
    Several,that took me ages,it would be easier if you took all the fins off but polishing in between because i wanted to keep the detail is endless ! Thats the second one Ive done I did one for Bens and he promptly sold it I was slightly pissed off to say the least. That one was just polished and not chromed

IMG_2230.jpg

Ah right i see! and yes i think i'll have a go and see how it turns out as i dont really wanna break the bank just for some shiny stuff. That gearbox looks sweet too, im sure whoever bought that is pleased! Gonna speak to my uncle to as hes big into his CBR and hes got loads of polished/chrome bits on that so i'll see what he recommends too

Have you a picture of your chosen drill attachments, or is it pure rubbing with your digits?

Have a word with Ian Cross from Cross customs. He is based in east Kirkby Lincolnshire. He does a lot of bike parts. Look up cross customs on fb and tell him Mitty recommended him.

Polishing is very time consuming, but can be fun to do yourself... I would give it a go if you've got some patience.

I've just got one of these little bench grinder kits and it does the job, and are pretty reasonable, there are loads the same type thing on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverlin...wAAOSwzppaJ9Am
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Craft...MAAOSwstxVISfq
    https://www.metalpolishingsupplies.c...ench-grinders/

You can even get kits that go on a normal drill for £20-30 but I'm not sure how good using a drill is.

As Fisherman says, I find it's all in the prep, start with a really coarse wet and dry and work your way up, then if you have one of the above polishing kits hit it with the compounds and final polish and you should see a good result.
    Last edited by craig...; 24-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Drills get tired quickly. You need a bench polisher or adapted grinder

I'll have a search for him Mitty yeah, and thanks for those links Craig! Like i say i'll have a crack at it and see what the results are like. After speaking to my uncle he's also recommended me a good polisher he's used in Nottingham so i'll speak to him too and see what he charges