Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Thinking of a new work van, can we discuss.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,820

    Thinking of a new work van, can we discuss.

    My old faithful 06 plate Vw t5 1.9tdi has seen better days, it’s at 200k and there’s rust patches appearing..along with lots of damage from tosser drivers. I’m open to options of various makes and models, the new Vw t5 is mega money and Im sure there are better bang for your buck.

    What do you lot suggest?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,711
    Buy Al's T5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post
    Buy Al's T5
    Lol, I think it’ll have to be a full panel van. I don’t fancy renewing windows from flying bits of pipe

  4. #4
    The new Transit is supposed to be very good, but have no personal experience with them.

    T5's are stupidly expensive, but the residual values are so much better than anything else. And the 2010 on models are quite a bit better, but there are still a few quirks I dont like about T5s

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    The new Transit is supposed to be very good, but have no personal experience with them.

    T5's are stupidly expensive, but the residual values are so much better than anything else. And the 2010 on models are quite a bit better, but there are still a few quirks I dont like about T5s
    Have ford overcome this security issue of theft within seconds via laptop or whatever gadget the thieving twats use

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    lewes east sussex
    Posts
    1,675
    Have heard and then saw that the transits can suffer from a battery drain issue. The aga installer was only on site for two hours or so. Dead battery....he said it keeps going back to ford keeps doing it.. Good looking van though with some good features. I use a vivaro . Cheaper than most quick good load size. Don't bother owning them 3 year swapshop...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF666 View Post
    Have heard and then saw that the transits can suffer from a battery drain issue. The aga installer was only on site for two hours or so. Dead battery....he said it keeps going back to ford keeps doing it.. Good looking van though with some good features. I use a vivaro . Cheaper than most quick good load size. Don't bother owning them 3 year swapshop...
    That’s good to know,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    1,555
    My mate has always been a ford man but swapped to vivaro/traffic a few years back. Only issue he has has was his latest developed gearbox noise. They repaired it under warranty it took them a while though. Think that was more dealer issues
    Life is just a game we play!!

    My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    My mate has always been a ford man but swapped to vivaro/traffic a few years back. Only issue he has has was his latest developed gearbox noise. They repaired it under warranty it took them a while though. Think that was more dealer issues
    Ahhhh! The infamous gearbox/clutch issue of the vivaro/ traffic, has this problem been sorted on the new generation of vans, I do like them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    lewes east sussex
    Posts
    1,675
    Yes that has always been known. Last we had did 140k before issue. They are Renault based but are pretty good really. Vws are expensive and weak for the money. Do you need that size?

  11. #11
    You will find fault in anything you buy tbh. Anything new has a 3 year warranty which leads me onto leasing;

    I dont know if you are vat reg'd, but have you thought about leasing at all? No capital layout (depending on what you choose), servicing all paid for, road tax paid for and courtesy vans etc etc... I used to sell a lot of it when I worked for Fiat as they used to do some unbelievable deals, to the point that it made no sense in buying.

    So if you lease or buy new it doesnt matter about "problems" as you covered, so just choose the vehicle you want based on costs and what you fancy!

    You dont necessarily need to go through a main dealer neither, leasing companies can normally offer better deals direct as they get massive discounts (more than the dealers) from the manufacturers
    Last edited by Al; 10-01-2018 at 08:55 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    You will find fault in anything you buy tbh. Anything new has a 3 year warranty which leads me onto leasing;

    I dont know if you are vat reg'd, but have you thought about leasing at all? No capital layout (depending on what you choose), servicing all paid for, road tax paid for and courtesy vans etc etc... I used to sell a lot of it when I worked for Fiat as they used to do some unbelievable deals, to the point that it made no sense in buying.

    So if you lease or buy new it doesnt matter about "problems" as you covered, so just choose the vehicle you want based on costs and what you fancy!

    You dont necessarily need to go through a main dealer neither, leasing companies can normally offer better deals direct as they get massive discounts (more than the dealers) from the manufacturers
    Mmmm, food for thought. Problem is my van gets some serious abuse, so damage will occur... either from me from loading / unloading or working on sites. How is damage seen in the eyes of the leasing company? Do they turn a blind eye to so much or do they want their pound of flesh?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Mmmm, food for thought. Problem is my van gets some serious abuse, so damage will occur... either from me from loading / unloading or working on sites. How is damage seen in the eyes of the leasing company? Do they turn a blind eye to so much or do they want their pound of flesh?
    They wont accept abuse, but wear and tear is fine as its a van after all, so scuffs on the bumper from loading etc wont be a problem, body damage could be a bit different, but insure it fully comp with protected no claims and get any work done before you return it Different schemes offer different benefits.

    If you went for something like a Fiat or Peugeot van there would be no initial outlay, but when you get into T6 territory they will want a lump up front or higher repayments

  14. #14
    Just had a quick look at vw leasing, they do a basic t6 for around £235 +vat a month with no upfront costs

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Doncaster! As requested by pingu!
    Posts
    2,936
    If you are self employed / limited company just buy a van and loan it to your company..

    The new transits are a dream to drive.. I have a 15 connect and recently a 67 transit custom crew cab.. lovely vans but apparently what you said about the few second theft / entry mallarkey still stands... as with more and more cars..

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    465
    Our plumbers on site here lease transits. They are happy with them, but one of the vans got nicked and it was full of his tools.
    My mate has a new connect. It seems that the battery dies if he pops out to get something from the van and doesn't lock it after.
    Based on that, I'd avoid fords, whatever the deal is.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stanley Durham
    Posts
    3,657
    My mate has a t5 import and is over the moon about it

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    204
    my 2p worth Cx
    Most things can go missing via OBD interference but an Autowatch Ghost would see to that. Unfortunately that's how it is now

    Any van is a target but the New Ford Security Physical locks doors ect is a joke they are terrible.
    Easier than a mk3 Escort to open
    It's a shame because they drive alright and look great.
    I would strongly advise anyone with ANY ford van to get aftermarket Security on locks and a standalone immobilizer.

    Vw want 35K for anything big enough. Just nope. Why be on the hook for 35-40K quid!

    if I was buying/Leasing a new Van there's only one option really and I really dislike French vehicles
    Trafic/Primastar/Vivaro
    Or Master if you need bigger

    As such We have use of a 2016 Euro 6 Trafic Sport. Business spec
    It'sa 1600 Bi port Turbo or something pretty damn good sits at 70/80mph no trouble with power to pass things easily
    Clears 100 in Germany and I've just run up to Manc land from Heathrow and back on £50 with a heavy foot but light load

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •