Thread: Glow Plugs

Glow Plugs

Can anyone advice me what size spanner is needed to remove glow plugs from a 1.9 diesel MK2 caddy with the basic 1y non turbo engine ?

Van became hard to start in last month since weather turned cold
    Last night I sprayed 4D40 allover the the glow plugs in the hope of freeing up both the engine threads and the tiny electrical tip threads
    Van wouldn't fire at all this morning even, not even once, althought it kept turning over, I even tried to jump start it, no look.
    Could the WD40 have stopped it from starting or did the final glowplug just ?
    give up?

Im not an expert on the 1Y but i would check the plugs are getting power first.

another common issue is the leak off pipes letting in air. They are worth replacing at around £3
    The fuel gets hot with use then cools overnight the tank then sucks in a bit as its not open to the atmosphere the leak off pipes seem to be the weak link.
    Many of the lads have sorted cold start issues by swapping them.

Iv'e fitted a tell tale light to my glow plug harness on my 53 plate tdi and it seems the air temp needs to be below around 4C before the plugs activate before starting.
    So on a slightly milder day it should start regardless.

I took wire from positive battery terminal to beginning of glow plug chain when I had issues with relay. Started right up.

Now I'm putting push monetary switch and Ford starter silinoid to power glow plugs.

heat makes holes bigger? So get engine warm.

My previous van had a motorbike solenoid connected to the glow plugs with a push button, I connected it to the relay output so it could work from the ecu output.
    I guess they did this to save changing the ignition switch.......It had a button also....

Hi Thanks ScotClayShooter, I changed the 4 glow plugs today, two of the old ones were measuring open circuit (dead), the other were measuring fine, (but I am wondering could they have been intermittent)
    After I put back on the injector pipes,and bled it for about 20 seconds, it started up fine. I was puzzled as to why it did not start the other morning if two of the glow plugs were still working, (thats if they were working).
    It got me thinking that the morning it failed it was a wet morning abiut +10 deg C, although it prob was about +4 during the night before morning.
    Note, the orange dash 'coil light' always comes on for about 10 seconds summer or winter, so maybe the 1y engine needs the glow plugs to glow all year round on a cold engine.
    Great idea of yours about fitting an indication bulb or led to indicate that the plugs are getting power, I am going to do that next weekend.
    I might also copy your other idea and fitting a solenoid.
    Many thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply and advice BPCaddy, my use your solenoid idea as a backup, see my reply to ScotClayShooter.