Thread: Expedition Build

Expedition Build

Hey Everyone!

Iíve come across a friend here in Germany that has a few scrapped Caddyís sitting in his garage from a delivery business he used to run. All told, more than enough leftovers for me to bulid something this spring and summer. As a T25/T3 owner, Iím all about diesel and have a 1.9 SDI swapped into my Doka and can appreciate something that just plain works. My plans have me tinkering away to put together a car that I can use instead of my truck for Banger Rallies and solo stealth camping adventures. Since Iím going to have this pile of Caddy parts, a Caddy it will be.

My first priority is in getting leads on build parts. Iíve already got good info for some things but Iím looking first at the suspension and tire configuration. My hope is to be able do mild rough roads and very light off-road trails. Iíve looked around and havenít seen much for that here in the forums. Any ideas or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

You could start by raising the front slightly for the trails, B1GVR did his Caddy just by spacing the suspension top mount where it meets the chassis

Some BFG A/T tyres would give you a good on and off road solution.

And I will have sump guards available soon which will help with some underside protection.

It also may be worth while running the fuel lines through the cab instead of under the floor, just in case you bottom out or have rocks hitting the underside.

Also some kind of snorkel and sealed airbox would help, even if it is just for deeper puddles

Sounds interesting

interesting concept, looking forward to this!

I'm thinking this is going to be a mk2 van build
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post

He said “Caddy”
    Not plumbers van.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    ... and solo stealth camping adventures...
    So are you an assassin ? Or a spy ? Or a cat burglar ?

Or just avoiding the wife ?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikedave View Post
    He said “Caddy”
    Not plumbers van.
    As he has posted this in the mk2 caddy van section I'm confidant!

I was too busy not reading shit so I’ll let you off.

Mk2 van it is. My buddy has 5 of them in various stages of stripped disrepair which his wife wants gone.

maybe go lean on build parts and invest in fridge: 100 watt solar panel, 100 amp hour battery and dometic cfx-50 fridge made my van life better than any of the mods I did.

Thankfully I‘ve got some extra bits left over from my Doka expedition buildout, battery kit and 2 x 50w flex. Solar panels among them.

I‘ve got good leads on deadbolts, suspension spacers and a skidplate set. For right now, it’s a matter of seats and tires. As my buddy is on vacation for the next month, I‘ve got no access to his garage to measure things out. Can anyone tell me the seat set up? Specifically, are the seatbelts frame mounted or seat integrated? Are the seat runners the same used in earlier VAG models used on the T25/T3? As space is at a premium, I‘m thinking ‘Stow N’Go’ (Town & Country or Grand Voyager) seats might be an option for seat replacements. As they fold flat they would give me some extra space for legroom in the back. This is a hack that I did already for my truck. I’m thinking that the those seats minus the captain chair armrests might work.

As far as tires, I’m looking to map out what rim and tire sizes are workable for limited off-road capability and crap road conditions. I’d love to go with a 215/75/R15 BFG A/T on Mefro steel rims as a setup as I’m already running that on my Doka already but I’m thinking that’s probably too much tire for such a small ride. Thoughts?
    Last edited by The_Raven; 22-11-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: No reason

I had 195/60/15s fitted for a while and they were quite close to the back of the sill.
    65s would have been really close.

Are you planning a suspension lift?? No need to bother with melfro wheels most Renault use 6.5 16 steels as a spare! Much better quality than the aftermarket stuff. Mk3 golf/Ibiza seats are a direct fit.
    T3 are in my blood too here is my old multivan
    20140703_181622.jpg