Thread: 1.9 diesel, replacing the water pump?

1.9 diesel, replacing the water pump?

Do some mechanicing and have in the past. At times I let full time pros do the job. But, water pump on the 1.9 diesel that replaced my 1.6 in the 82 pickup.

Shop told me it would be "at least $500 labor". That is way over what I am comfortable with.
    What do I need to watch for in changing it myself. Main worry is that I don't screw up timing.

Can I do it and not have to touch any timing problems at all?

Have a look on here...

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?opt...d=24&Itemid=28

I'd never done a cambelt before but followed this guide and it was pain free.

I think you'll definitely be able to get it running again without messing with the pump timing but ideally to get it bang on you will need a dti gauge - but the money you saved from not going to the garage you could buy yourself a dti.
    Fun Size... I dont get it. What's so funny about half a mars bar?

Er.... Doesn't the auxiliary belt run the water pump on a mechanical 1.9? IIRC you need to take off the alternator, then alternator bracket, then it's under thar

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Er.... Doesn't the auxiliary belt run the water pump on a mechanical 1.9? IIRC you need to take off the alternator, then alternator bracket, then it's under thar
    alh/ayq is driven by the cambelt

Depends what engine you have fitted, I'll bet it's an early one and no need to touch the cambelt.

Got a pic deardoff?

Will get some photos tomorrow. Have been gone for a bit.
    On the head, from the front of the vehicle on the passenger side is the number 028 103 37814

On the drivers side it has H and then what looks like 6 with WWO under that.

On the block below the WWO it has 08 Q93.

I can't see any other numbers or letters. Can't see the backside of the block or head from the top and right now am not laying in the snow to check under it.

I do like having more power with the engine but never thought it would be so difficult to find out information on the engine.

Was told it came from an 87 Jetta in Germany. Might have been an 89 as the writing I have is not easy to decipher.

Timing belt, tensioner and water pump for the 1.9 in my 81 caddy cost me $275 in labor at long time reputable shop in near San Francisco 2 years ago.

Good luck finding information on what 1.9 you have. I tried and tried but was never certain.

Friend visited and went out after dark with a good LED flashlight and spent a good amount of time looking where the numbers/ID code should be.

Success - faint but stamped: 1Y engine code. What appears to be 303 336 after the 1Y.

So, which water pump and how much do I need to do the timing belt to take it off? Am guessing I need the camshaft holder and the injection pump holder pieces from Parts Place(or similar) so I don't get in trouble with screwing up the timing?

If it is 1y then you don't touch the cambelt but there are some stealth bolts to find.
    A Caddy is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by RNRHALL View Post
    If it is 1y then you don't touch the cambelt but there are some stealth bolts to find.
    What do I need to remove to get it changed? Does the injection pump have to come off?

With the normal 1.5 and 1.6 diesels I have had in the past it was pretty simple. This seem unreasonably complicated - probably magnified by my getting old and covered in lichens as I gradually fossilize.

Will this water pump fit?

http://www.mk1autohaus.com/Water-Pum...s-_p_8561.html

Would rather get a brand new one and factory quality works for me, if it is the right pump.

I did solve my overheating problem with a new radiator. Other one would flow water just fine - and then somehow something would apparently slow it and the engine would get hot. With the new radiator it runs cool. Below the middle area. Since I have a cooler thermostat in it I think I'll put a normal one in with the new water pump.

Appears as if I just need to remove the Alternator and mount to get to the Water Pump with this engine. Just like the others I have done.

Someone correct me if I am off on this one.
    Last edited by Deardorff; 22-05-2018 at 05:36 PM.