Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Work so far

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    From my recollection, a vr has masses of room behind it and not so little at the front.

After this Saturdays jaunt at Santa pod with a pair of nigh on deflated wide slick, I wish I had power steering.
    Ha i bet! Will have to get down to pod and see that thing rip when your next there

Just about finalized the air tank bracket and had the lower section 3D printed to check fitment

IMG-20180611-WA0004.jpg

whats your trade LJ? loving the 3d printer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.F View Post
    Yep, 2nd that

By trade im a carpenter, wish id trained as a welder would have come in handy, 3d printing is impressive, should have had it filmed and timelapsed, that small section was 5 hours of printing

The name gave it away lol but with the work you’ve been doing thought I’d ask lol. it’s impressive. is it you 3d printer or a company your using?
    it’s good to see different thought processes on the air suspension as well as when you read magazine articles etc people talk about it but never show the goods if you know what i mean.

The name gave it away lol but with the work you’ve been doing thought I’d ask lol. it’s impressive. is it you 3d printer or a company your using?
    it’s good to see different thought processes on the air suspension as well as when you read magazine articles etc people talk about it but never show the goods if you know what i mean.
    The printer belongs to a friend of mine, i used to do alot of work on his toyota gt86 he uses for drifting so called in a favour, printers are very accesible to the consumer market now retailing from £100 and upwards, the only real limiting factor is the print bed size and knowledge of CAD software to actually design the thing, i think that printer was around £300 and has a bed size 200mm × 200mm and prints upwards of 200mm, the bracket was too tall to fit so cut the digital image short to get the lower section that i need. I know what you mean, theres always a finished product but you dont get to see the process and its always the bits you want to know that you dont get to see

dropped the VW off the rotisserie to mock up the engine, most of the bodywork barring the engine bay is done barring clean up, the 3D printed bracket for the air tank worked well although made some adjustments and started using a different software that's much more capable to produce the part.

20180630_141236.jpg

20180630_142611.jpg

20180630_141253.jpg

Are you rolling your arches?
    Pretty sure i will be, the porsche wheels sit further out than the steels do

Thats a sick project dude! You make the rear axle setup yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by ryso08 View Post
    Thats a sick project dude! You make the rear axle setup yourself?
    Thanks dude, The rear axle was bought as a kit barring the end plates that hold the stub axles as i redesigned those

Aw sweet dude. I was looking at the TA Technix set up for mine but not seen anyone using them. Is that the Eurowise kit?

Aw sweet dude. I was looking at the TA Technix set up for mine but not seen anyone using them. Is that the Eurowise kit?
    Its produced by seen_it, found him on instagram, autofinesse use the same sytem on thier caddy, great bit of kit, as you have seen its triangulated so no use of a panhard bar whereas eurowise use a panhard bar to keep the rear shifting side to side, nothing wrong with either setup, both do the same job, there is a small amount of side shift on a panhard bar as ride hieght changes but still a great system.

nice work lumberjack! looks very low, might suggest doing what i did, cut the inner arches out and put in metal thats higher up for more clearance, was easy to do and i have a lot more room now!

arches 1.jpg
    arches 2.jpg

instead of the arch coming down to meet with the outer arch, i welded it higher up, my arches are ontop of originals, so i have to cut them off, but i got a ton more room now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    nice work lumberjack! looks very low, might suggest doing what i did, cut the inner arches out and put in metal thats higher up for more clearance, was easy to do and i have a lot more room now!

arches 1.jpg
    arches 2.jpg

instead of the arch coming down to meet with the outer arch, i welded it higher up, my arches are ontop of originals, so i have to cut them off, but i got a ton more room now.
    Looks good, the wheels are gonna change so once i get the new wheels on ill check all clearances and cut out as needed, gonna fit bump stops as it doesnt have any which should get rid of any contact should a bag fail.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack23 View Post
    Its produced by seen_it, found him on instagram, autofinesse use the same sytem on thier caddy, great bit of kit, as you have seen its triangulated so no use of a panhard bar whereas eurowise use a panhard bar to keep the rear shifting side to side, nothing wrong with either setup, both do the same job, there is a small amount of side shift on a panhard bar as ride hieght changes but still a great system.
    Yeah seen his page before and noticed he had them but they were for the US style towers. I see you have brackets made to fit on the EURO style ones. Did they come with the kit or you make them yourself? Cant get over how clean the welding is dude and everything in general! Will be keeping an eye on this one cant wait to see it done.

sounds good, just a idea to put into your head i don't think im going to use bumpstops, if it hits then itll bounce the rear end which will be bad, i'll probably put some small rubber there or something, but nothing crazy like the original bumpstops. your setup is completely different though, i doubt you'll be running soft suspension like me.

Yeah seen his page before and noticed he had them but they were for the US style towers. I see you have brackets made to fit on the EURO style ones. Did they come with the kit or you make them yourself? Cant get over how clean the welding is dude and everything in general! Will be keeping an eye on this one cant wait to see it done.
    The brackets that wrap around the towers came with the kit but were different to those on seen it's page but it wasnt direct from seen it, he had a uk distributor i bought from but he has since stopped producing them in the uk.

dropped the vr6 into the mk1 today, was surprised to see more room in the bay than anticipated.

20180707_145113_HDR rotate (2).jpg