Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Work so far

Lol, it’s finally going up on the spit tomorrow afternoon. I’m just so busy with work or weathers been shit, to take the truck outside to whip the engine out. Tomorrow is gonna be a nice day and I’ve got the day off

I know the feeling, get after it, look forward to seeing your progress

Nipped down to the shed to see how the adaptors fit and all is not ideal, wheel needs to move out the thickness of the disc mating surface and its already sat on the arch so I think the axle is coming off and being cut down by about 20mm each side.
    IMG_20181028_135105.jpg
    IMG_20181028_135118.jpg
    Well happy though, if the wheel sits about where it is now with a disc installed I'll be happy, some work to do though

Brake discs arrived, 280mm upfront and 256mm at the back
    IMG_20181128_172501.jpg

4 and 5 stud set up?

Quote Originally Posted by DMF666 View Post
    4 and 5 stud set up?
    Yeah not what I originally planned but 4 stud Mk1 upfront, discs are from the g60 and 5 stud mk4 at the rear from the golf/bora then both will be adapted to 5x130 for the wheels

Ah i see! Good stuff.

Any updates LJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Any updates LJ?
    YES! One big update and a few smaller ones, not able to share all the updates yet but all in good time

Been collecting the parts I need to fire up the vr6, need to fabricate a fuel tank and buy a pump and it should be good to turn over. The bracket I was creating to hold the air tank I may have been a little nieve about, I went down the same route most do these days in thinking that if you can 3D print something you can machine it too (discounting metel 3D printing due to costs) so I had to redesign the bracket pretty much from scratch which now consists of 3 parts. Been making a video on it but just waiting for a price from a few machine shops to produce the bracket and once its here I can finish editing and post it up

Get some piccies up then

IMG_20190118_172958.jpg

All I have for now but, magnecore ignition leads cos like a lemon I didn't use a removal tool and destroyed the original ones, good enough excuse as any to make an upgrade.

hehe! thats how i roll too

Al does shortened Axels now if you still needed it shortened

Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post
    Al does shortened Axels now if you still needed it shortened
    Aye I saw those they look mint. Although don't quite meet my needs

pulled the caddy out from hibernation for the first time this year after a long time away from it. got stuck back into the gear lever after a lot of indecision on what to actually put in, originally I was going to use the mk3 level that came with the engine, then I moved onto the mk4 lever due to it being the more reliable of the two but then it came down to the sheer bulk of the units and I ended up (after much deliberation) with a mk2 Audi TT lever which is much shorter and carries less bulk, this swap requires me to change the tower and internals for the shift tower on the gearbox but much of this would have been needed for the mk4 lever swap anyway (im justifying this to myself) I had originally intended to use a CAE lever but i felt it was not only expensive but wasn't really the look i had intended for, so mk2 TT lever and mk1 lever surround it is then.

mk3 golf and mk2 tt levers
    IMG_20190406_192220_210.jpg

hole cut in the tunnel and steel plates welded in to the centre to put some structure back between the centre rail and the floor
    IMG_20190406_192225_545.jpg

should sit somewhere there with a plate welded over to bolt to when I get around to it
    IMG_20190406_192231_512.jpg

hopefully get around to doing some wiring soon.
    Last edited by lumberjack23; 16-04-2019 at 07:07 AM.

The machine shop got in touch with the freshly machined parts, I still find it nuts that an idea in my head is now a physical object and no longer just a drawing, took some doing but it's now real, I hugely underestimated how much was involved, learning CAD was tough in a 3D format which I assumed would be all I would need to know, I started using freecad but quickly realised its limitations so moved to Fusion 360 which was much better for my needs. Once I had what I wanted digitally I sent off the files to be looked at by a machine shop, who pretty much tore it apart, what I failed to consider was how the tool head would actually machine the part, I had only had experience with 3D printing where limitations where minimal. CNC machining has massive limitations in a sense of if the tool head can't get in then it can't be machined, back to the drawing board. I redesigned the entire part which broke down into 3 parts, a base plate, a hanger and a spacer, by doing this I was able to keep what I envisioned and ensure CNC tooling could make the passes it required. The design I first produced which was physically machinable was so expensive it wasn't an option, I then worked with the machinist to address areas he felt could be simplified to achieve lower costs, I amended my work and resubmitted it for evaluation, I managed to bring the costs down by making subtle changes to the design. The next issue I faced was the request for me to submit 2D drawings for the machinist to work from, this included all critical dimensions and tolerances, 2D was hard, not so much the physical drawing of it but the knowledge of knowing what the machinist needed to be able to machine the part, got there in the end submitted the drawings and a few days later the parts had been machined, over engineered and could have easily been replaced by flat bar but, in my opinion they look mint, downside is nobody will ever see them
    1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mitty85 View Post
    What are they for?
    Ow yeah, to hang the accuair endo compressor valve tank off

IMG_20190507_215215_573.jpg

The bracket is here, machined from 6061 aluminium and anodized black, I'm using it to mount the air tank to the underside of the bed, abit of an experiment and learning experience