Thread: Vdo gauge query

Vdo gauge query

Got this vdo gauge is it possible to use it as a oil temp gauge or is it purely a engine temp gauge . Fitting to a g60 in mk1
    Attached Images Attached Images

wouldn't have thought it would matter, just need a sensor that corresposns with the max and min degrees on the gauge. engine temp is measured via the coolant anyway so pretty sure it would work the same.

Okie dokie. I'll have a check on the sensor and see what it's capable of. Thank you

The vdo sender should have its scale stamped on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by richiebear View Post
    Got this vdo gauge is it possible to use it as a oil temp gauge or is it purely a engine temp gauge . Fitting to a g60 in mk1
    That IS an oil temp gauge isn't it? Wrong temp range for coolant?

I would have said so, just assumed he would be telling us correctly. you would nt really want your water temp sitting at 110 in the middle

(richie coolant temp gauges usually raneg between 70-110, with most normal running temps being 80-90)

Oil temps tend to be 90-110, though i don't think 120 is abnormal on a hot day, (my 6 month old tiguan was sitting 116-119 on the motorway in france).

The audi 80 gauge in my mk1 read up to 180 degrees for oil!! )

I see. I just assumed it was a coolant but if you reckon it's a oil temp one that's even better just need to pull the sender see what's stamped on it then. Only wanted one to see how hot it was getting. Had the caddy running at the weekend and after 15min of running once it was hot started to go bit lumpy. Dad says wonder if your oil is getting to hot for some reason so thought I'll stick a gauge on see what's what. Cheers guys another step forward so happy days

the engine would have to get hot for the oil to get hot, if that makes sense. is coolant returning to your header tank? are both pipes that lead to the radiator warm once the engine gets hot?

Yes to both above pipes get all of them water flows back to tank .I've got a low temp thermostat fitted aswell as a low temp switch on rad so it kicks in a lot earlier. If this helps. I felt all the pipes and rad which where very hot ..... Yes it