Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: V5/vr5 aqn into mk1 engine conversion

Oh yeah, you're right Ant. I automatically assumed it'd be the same as a VR6

Thanks gents!

I thought this may be the case, it’s obviously not essential as I’ll just use my ear holes and common sense when driving it. I could also just use a Bluetooth obd2 device and my phone in the dash holder if I get desperate, I have been told by a local engine conversion chap that it will work but it will just be slightly out, don’t know how true this is

What tacho if any did you run in the vr5 caddy Al?

It would however be nice to have it all working (ideal world and all that) Had a couple of ideas that might work though if anyone wants to chime in on them?? Could I use a signal converter AND possibly an old 5cyl tacho retro fitted into the Mk1 clocks? The idea being that the signal coming from the converter will be slightly out and then the 5cyl tacho might rectify the problem it’s self, they are slightly adjustable aswell and from what if found out they also work via -ve pulse? Problems I can see is availability of said tacho and price and it might just be a dumb idea

Next up
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-TAC...-/141931549970 says it will work... not too much of a loss if it doesn’t

Then and I’m thinking if it would be possible to use an alternator signal to power the tacho as per diesel swaps??

Any ideas at all would be fantastic even if you just call me names hahaha

I asked the seller in my post if his module/adapter would work here’s the reply

“I think you'll need both this unit and a model BTAC booster. I assume by ve- you mean coil negative. If so then you'll need this BTA to convert 5:6 from the ECU, then the BTAC coil simulator to bump the square wave from the BTA to a voltage the tacho can see. We always bundle shipping, just pay full price at checkout and we refund any excess postage. Thanks for your interest!”

This sounds quite promising coming in at £60 plus shipping etc, but the baker electronix box might be the ticket! I shall contact them and report back what they say!

Thanks

I went through the same search when I did mine. Now this type of electronics is not my strong point, but this it what you need to know:

The Motronic ECU gives out a 3 or 5v digital signal, and the Caddy Clocks are expecting to see a 12-14v Analogue High Tension signal.

As far as im aware VW digital clocks are "dumb" so they can except a 4, 5 or 6 cylinder signal without any calibration!

So because the MK1 tacho is not dumb it requires a 4 cylinder signal, so whatever gizmo is used it must be able to boost voltage from 3-14 volts and be able to split it from 5 - 4 cylinders in an analogue form!

Monkey & Reg fucked about with some components which I tried on mine, but it didnt work! Also I tried a regular tacho converter as used on the 1.8T etc and that didnt work either.

TBH. I didnt get that deep into it as I ended up selling the Caddy, but there was only one out there that I found that looked like it may do the job, but the name of the company in the States has escaped me for the minute. but that seller seems to know what he is talking about so may well be worth a punt!
    Last edited by Al; 28-02-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Cheers Al helpful as ever! yeah might be the one I go for tbh, only person that’s responded aswell! Failing that does anyone see any problems with the Wsignal alternator mod?!

Was it this one that you saw per chance?

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm

Just found it this morning and it looks the dogs!

From that dakotadigital page

"Product not compatible with most '86 to current European or '96 to current Jeep tachometers."

That being said the VW Mk1 Tach was designed in the early 70's so there is some hope.

Ok so I’ve contacted nearly every tach adapter supplier and they have all said it will not work, others have said I need 2 adapters etc but, s&p automotive in the us are currently designing one that will work but won’t be ready to prototype until the end of the month so I’ve said once possible, I’ll preorder one if I don’t find a solution in the mean time so that’s sorted

I’m currently waiting on my mounts, bushings, pedal and loom to arrive So I can get started, I’m just about to bolt in the 100mm CV cup on the v5 box and gave ordered a shifter, I’m going to try a Polo 9N setup as I’ve read it’s a good fit and cable are good length for a Mk1

I’m about to pull the trigger on a vr6 rado radiator and fan setup aswell so will be thinking about rad hoses next if anyone has advice on them I’d be massively appreciative!