Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V5/vr5 aqn into mk1 engine conversion

V5/vr5 aqn into mk1 engine conversion

Right folks looking at possible engine conversions, was thinking about going 1.8t but prefer the drive characteristics of NA, quite fancy the AQN V5 engine, asked on the mk1 owners club with little feedback on the swap, mainly I would like to know about the sump as I've heard it's extremely low when in the mk1 (Run fairly low but on air) or is this people trying to put me off

Next is gearbox, which gearboxes are suitable, are there any 6 speed options? If so hat do I do about keeping standard speedo etc

As far as fitting goes I think I've got my list pretty much complete as follows

Gti lifter and fuel pump
    Engine mount kit from retrofication/just caddys
    Corrado VR6 rad
    100mm shafts
    DBW pedal conversion
    Hydro clutch conversion from retrofication/just caddys
    Mk4 shifter etc
    1.3 speedo cable (Presuming I use an early 02J)
    280mm brake adapters and rado discs/calipers etc
    OEM ecu with immo defeat and loom spliced into the CE1 loom
    Corrado/Mk2 gti downpipe flange (probably get a stainless one machined)
    Mk1 gti downpipe or stainless version off it!

Is that pretty much it? I'd like to have everything I could possibly need and get the job done well physically in and then I can work on thenloom in my own time!

Awesome build answers a lot of my questions! Sounds like the ccm box is a winner too! still no one answering the sump clearance question! Any info would be great!

Anyone on here do the necessary ecu immo and sensor deletes?

The sump was never an issue for me, but its all relative to how low you go! Even std 1.6's smash their sumps when they are to low!

Thanks Al makes me feel a bit better, ironically I've just smashed the sump on my1.5 running too low and dampers too so ft (old age I think haha) so rather than pulling the engine to fix the multitude of things wrong with the engine, carb, clutch etc I've decided to just do the conversion, I'm 99% set on the v5, I've located a v5 20v that comes with full loom, pedal and ecu with bushings and mounts! Comes with keys and clocks too but planning on immo defeat and using the original clocks anyway,

Need to clarify a few things first then I can start ordering parts

I'm looking for a CCM vr6 gearbox and would like to know what colour speedo drive I'd need, also can I use my current 1.5 cable or does it need to be for a 1.3?

What's the best shifter to use with the vr6 box to be mounted under the car? (don't fancy chopping all my interior up) I assume Mk3 shifter is easiest but any slimmer ones that will work?

Will the vr6 box fit on the v5s dual mass fly and clutch setup or do I need to go vr6/g60 fly and clutch?

I'll start a thread when it's underway!

Think I would have gone vr5 had a cheap 1.8 not come along

Polo shifter perhaps?

Will look into polo shifter, have been told Lupo gti shifter works but it's a 6spd shifter don't know if that will change anything!

Righty O! Looks like this thing is all coming together in the next few weeks sources another engine etc, want to get it done as quick as possible so I have a few more questions, first off aux belt, I’m obviously going to bin off the PAS pump and air con compressor, does any one (Al) know the length of the belt needed after these are deleted? Looks like I’ll be going down the v5 gearbox route for now as it’s coming with the engine, what do I use for the speedo? Also pipes, I’m ordering a corrado radiator next week but wondered what have people done about pipe work between the rad and engine any clever solutions here?

Cheers

Serpentine belt is easy to work out. The std part numbers are set out as below

Example: 6PK890

The first number 6 is how many ribs 6PK890

The second an third letters "PK" are always the same 6PK890

The last 3 or 4 letters are the length 6PK890 890cm

I cannot remember what length I used, but measure your length and work out which belt you need using the formula above.

i.e if its 5 ribs and 850 long then the part number will be 5PK850

Chuck the number in ebay and your done https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...PK850&_sacat=0

Some good info there, yeah I was hoping someone would spoon feed me the measurement so I could get it ordered before the engine even arrives for speed etc, suppose it won’t matter too much if it takes it a day or so to arrive I can always be doing something else, what did you use for radiator pipes Al?

Thanks

The aux belt will be the least of your worries and more than likely you'll be able to collect one on the day from a motor factors. Although it's nice to try and get all the bits together before you start there will always be parts you need to order afterwards to get it finished. What's your plan for the exhaust downpipe?

You think it will be a nightmare? Well engine and box turned up today with an immo off ecu, so If my recent internet purchases go to plan, I will only require a pair of 100mm driveshaft cups to get the engine in! Then it’s the fun stuff! The downpipe on it is stainless steel so it will weld to my stainless down pipe fine

No I'm sure it will be fine just wondered if you had anything fancy lined up! Sounds like you've got it sorted! Get some pics up!

Ahh yeah I see, just thought you might have had a nugget of info I’ve not yet considered since you’ve done a similar swap, what colour speedo drive did you use btw? Thanks

downpipe is pretty straight forward, just obviously isn't a bolt on item. reg speedo drive, i've never taken my drive out so i'm just using whatever comes standard in a vr6. i'm using the VR6 clocks too if that helps

Ok I’m going to use the oe Mk1 clocks, just trying to suss the tachometer signal out and wether it being 5cyl will work with any of the usual tach converters, then that’s that task boxed off!

Already removed the PAS and AC pumps in the snow haha

The tach will not work with any of the converters that are available. There is one a company sells in the States that looks like it would work, but its a lot of dollar to take a chance!

This claims it'll do the job I think
    http://s-pautomotive.com/product/dig...nverter-combo/

Doesn’t say anything about working on the v5