Thread: Shorter drive shafts mk1 with mk3 subframe HELP ME PLEASE

Shorter drive shafts mk1 with mk3 subframe HELP ME PLEASE

Hi guru's I am at witts end with me Caddy.

So its running Mk3 VR6 and I was advised to narrow the track using mk3 TDI wishbones, drive shafts etc.

All was going well until I chassis notched and extended the balljoints.
    IMG_20170531_203436.jpg
    This solved bump steer and gets me really low but stopped me adjusting the camber on the strut and top mount, seemed drive shafts were too long. I need a bit of camber to tuck the wheels under arches

So in my wisdom I re ordered the original VR6 wishbones
    IMG_20170606_175846.jpg
    This allowed me to get camber and tuck the wheel. It's way too excessive and I really need another option. Shorter driveshafts with the TDI wishbones?
    IMG_20170606_191106.jpg

So is there another set of drive shafts I can use or will I need to have them cut down?

Desperate now as missing all the shows and hot days I should be enjoying my caddy, Spent so long trying to get these wheels to fit under the arches, So far I have widened the arches, extended and widened turrets, Airbagged the struts, Changed running gear (twice)
    Chassis notched, raised ball joints, Flipped tierods and more.

Any expert advice greatly appreciated

Any ideas anyone?

The problem is, is that you have shortened the distance between the gearbox and the hub due to your setup.

Your going to need to try and find a short shaft or cut n shut one. But before you do that I would put the tdi wishbones back on as the VR wide track looks ridiculous on a MK1

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    The problem is, is that you have shortened the distance between the gearbox and the hub due to your setup.

Your going to need to try and find a short shaft or cut n shut one. But before you do that I would put the tdi wishbones back on as the VR wide track looks ridiculous on a MK1
    Yeah I agree it looks terrible. The TDI ones are going back on.
    All this headache for those wheels and I am starting to go off them.

I read somewhere that a circlip can be removed on the shaft and this allows to be shortened but I have not idea.

If anyone can recommend a set of shorter shafts from another VAG car then that would be great otherwise it's a case of cutting them down, using a lathe, welding and sleeving.

Not much room for 8's using this setup. What did you do Al?

I have a G60 setup on the front of mine which is essentially the same as the TDI setup, and I have only used 6" rims on the front.

Your problem is compounded by how low you want to run as you are moving away from manufacturer specs.

You going to have to have a measure up and research shaft lengths from other models like polos etc to see if you can find something similar

Yeah that 2" makes a massive difference with the wheels.
    I've been trying to find lengths of various shafts so will probably take these off and then cut them down the same size as the difference between TDI and VR6 wishbones.
    This should allow slight camber adjustment.
    What a headache!

Thanks for input