Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: R32 pipe dreams

Dumb question - watched the video, how is he changing gear?

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Dumb question - watched the video, how is he changing gear?
    A DSG will change gear up and down automatically at a pre determined factory set rev limit to give the best acceleration possible, the limits are obviously altered on this beast to the best for his setup. So its basically floor it and let the computers do the rest.

The third pedal (its actually a DBW acc pedal) is an electronic clutch so he can build the revs for launch control.

It will be at Action again this year so go and have a chat with Thorsten, he is very approachable
    Last edited by Al; 04-08-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Id love the gimmick of the flappy paddles.
    The biggest offput for me is the wiring. Sure isnt it an extra loom and ecu for the dsg alone?
    The less wiring the better because I want little or no visible wires in my bay.
    Google doesnt really provide much answers to the questions about a dsg conversion and if it does all you get to see is a fucking photobucket icon.

If I was to try get a picture of the transfer box on the tt, would you be able to tell if the 2wd blank plate would fit? More so out of curiosity than anything.
    I cant see me being able to get an engine bay this neat with dsg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sent one of the lads a message last night, turns out theres a 4motion golf breaking only a few mile over the road from me.
    Anyone know a ball part price of an 02m box just so the lad selling it doesnt try to rip me off?
    Is there any need for me to buy it with the transfer box?

£250 or less would be nice, get the cable ends as well if he has them.

you dont need the transfer box at all

The DRP coded gearbox from the mk4 golf 4 motions is the strongest one, I wouldn't pay more than £200 for a box

Thanks lads
    I'll check it out next week

Can the twin pot calipers from the tt be made to fit my van?
    They probably wouldnt fit behind my 16s though
    I think the discs on the car are 324mm. I have a set of cupra r 305mm discs that were never used or would they be too small for the caliper

Anyone know if this manifold will work on my van?
    It says R32/R36 conversion manifold for mk2/3 golf, corrado etc...
    Seems reasonably well priced too
    http://www.dubpower.co.uk/Exhaust%20manifolds.HTM

Think Im going to scrap the idea of an 02m
    Seems like too much hastle and I cant find one for the right money.
    If I was to somehow come across a v6 02j bellhousing, would I be able to swap it onto my tdi 02j box? Are the ratios different compairing to a petrol gearbox?
    Also, Ive been offered a set off driveshafts from a V5 bora. Will they fit my van or are they different?

Im in the process of labelling everything on my loom before I pull the engine out of the tt.
    Can someone tell me what these few things are. Im sure someone who is more familiar with vr6s than me will know

Number 1.
    2 sensors on the side of the head

20180224_165555.jpg

Number 2
    This banjo shaped thing bolted to the front of the block

20180224_164443.jpg

Number 3
    What looks like some sort of pump/ motorised valve. Located under a/c pump. Pipes attached to it leading to the cooler on the dsg box

20180224_163938.jpg20180224_163947.jpg

Also, the sensor that is on the oil cooler housing, is that an oil pressure sensor?

you need all those wired up! The ones on the engine are the camshaft variator's, the second is the knock sensor and oil pressure (you will need to change the oil pressure switch to your original one), third is the aux water pump, and the canister under the ac/oil cooler area will be the SIA. The SIA can be ditched as can the second lambda, but they will both need coding out

Thanks Al
    What does the knock sensor do?
    Why do I need to swap oil pressure switches?
    Can the aux water pump be deleted? Want to get rid of as much as possible.

Is this the SIA?
    20180226_172415.jpg

Also, what is this canister and can it be deleted?
    20180226_172423.jpg

yeah scrap the carbon and sai and get it coded out.

You will want to keep the aux water pump as it WILL run hot without it! This takes its signal from the fan controller. If you ditch the fan controller, you can wire it up to an ignition live or to a time switch/ turbo timer

The knock sensor detects detonation and pulls the ignition if it does, all Bosch management systems use it including your ME7.2 it will be needed

Thanks again Al
    I suppose the aux pump is well hidden as it is so it shouldnt take away from the empty look i want to achieve

i have a 12v VR6 and ditched the aux water pump and it doesn't run hot even with a turbo. but i don't know anything about 24v so can only tell you that from my 12v experience. you going to be running the original engine management?

Ive been doing a bit of browsing through the internet machine, lots of people seem to have done away with it or bypassed it and havent had issues.....
    Ill be running a custom alu rad with twin fans, would that help keep it cool any better?
    Havent thought as far as management yet but yes i intend to use the tt ecu

ah ok, i just wondered with regards to the wiring if you want it super clean and hidden, a standalone ECU makes things much neater. i'm sure a big alloy rad and twin fans it would be fine. like i say, mines got a turbo too and doesn't ever overheat. i'm using a corrado radiator and one 12" fan and one 8" fan.

Where can I find more info on these stand alone ecu's? Pic build threads etc. The finished product needs to look like the golf at the top of this page