Thread: o2o gearbox woes

Angry o2o gearbox woes

Straight to the point.

I topped up my gearbox oil and now my clutch isn't working

And no I didn't put the oil in the inspection hole. I topped it up through the speedo hole.

I can select all gears fine with the engine off, but with it running and the clutch pressed fully to the floor they only just about crunch in. Once they are in with my foot fully to the floor the truck starts creeping as if the clutch isn't fully disengaged.

I don't understand as the only thing I've done was put in a bit of gearbox oil, everything worked fine yesterday.

I've already adjusted the clutch cable and now it's on full adjustment and it's still the same.

To make things even more confusing I thought I may have overfilled the box and that somehow this was causing my problem. I took the drain plug out from the bottom of the box and nothing came out. Even after a poke around with a screwdriver.

I'm not to fussed as ideally I'd like to go o2a with a hydro clutch but I'd still like to be able to use the truck as I've just taxed insured and mot'd it for 12 months.

Any help is much appreciated as always.
    Fun Size... I dont get it. What's so funny about half a mars bar?

Did you put oil in until it came out of level plug?
    A Caddy is for life not just for Christmas

Yeah it's at the right level.

After nothing came out from the drain plug I took plug out from the side of the box and had about 50ml-100ml of oil trickle out.

I just don't understand how everything worked fine on Saturday then all I did was put some oil in the box and somehoe that seems to have affected the clutch.

Has oil gone from gearbox to bellhouse and on to clutch?

Haven't really had a look. I would guess not for 2 reasons.

1, I don't think I have the shit plate on the bottom of the bell housing so wouldn't I see a puddle of gearbox oil under the truck?

2, Wouldn't oil on the clutch give me the opposite symptoms I.e. a slipping clutch and not one that's engaged with the pedal pressed.

Has the cable pulled through the bulkhead? Its a weak point there. There's threads on it and repair pieces. Just a thought bud.

Ebay item number. Just to clarify what I mean

Nice try but the bulkhead has already been plated and it is fine.

I even took the clutch cable off and packed the adjuster out by an extra inch, with a load of washers, to make sure it isn't just a stretched cable.

I'm beginning to think my clutch is just fucked and it's just a coincidence that I topped the box up with oil just seems strange how it had been working absolutely fine the few weeks previous.

I think the gearbox and engine really need to get divorced so you can see what's going on!

Yeah I think your right

If the gearbox comes off it won't be going back on. As mentioned above it shall just be replaced with an o2a/o2J just a little earlier than anticipated thats all.

With the truck being off the road for a couple of years Ive just been driving 'normal' cars that have had hydraulic clutches, and as the truck was my first car I didn't really realise what I was missing.

could be a broken release bearing or finger have heard of them cracking, I have had the release bearing slide out and get jammed when I replaced a clutch cable and let the arm fall right down as was missing the plastic stopper, easy to check and replace by removing the green end cap

i always thought to do the oil you top up to the level plug then put another 500ml in

Quote Originally Posted by sport trucker View Post
    could be a broken release bearing or finger have heard of them cracking, I have had the release bearing slide out and get jammed when I replaced a clutch cable and let the arm fall right down as was missing the plastic stopper, easy to check and replace by removing the green end cap
    Good call. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a check when I get 5 min

As for topping up the oil it depends when the box was made. http://www.brokevw.com/020oil.html