Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best gearbox for 16v turbo ?

Best gearbox for 16v turbo ?

As title ?

Thanks in advance

say what! you mean? surely not! i hope so

Phwoar, I hope so to

Ok maybe the thanks in advance was a bit presumptuous ,can anybody give me a clue to what would be a good gearbox for a 16v turbo ?

O2A/O2J with a LSD installed i'm going to say.....

Presuming its for your Caddy then I Agree with Boycey, but I may have another opinion if I know the vehicle its going to be fitted in, and the torque its going to produce!

Ok Al,will be the caddy or possibly the Mk1 so little difference there,will be mapping it to around 250hp,will get some torque figures tomorrow ,and yes looking at fitting LSD !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Ok Al,will be the caddy or possibly the Mk1 so little difference there,will be mapping it to around 250hp,will get some torque figures tomorrow ,and yes looking at fitting LSD !
    Then any of the 02A and 02J boxes will be suitable. 02J's are newer so chances of finding a lower miles or better condition box is increased. There is a multitude of gear & final drive ratios so just choose a code that suits. Generally 02A boxes have better suited final drives for 15" wheels with low profile tyres, but you can also find them in 02J's! Even the TDi's!

I explained some about ratios in Elroys build thread, but you can choose to whats suits your own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boycey View Post
    O2A/O2J with a LSD installed i'm going to say.....
    Thanks for the reply Boycey,thought it might be the case,after I polished a 020 box up,oh well put it up for sale and start looking for a suitable cable change one.

Ok Al thanks,sorry I did search but I can never remember where Ive seen things ? Will be looking for a good pull through the range rather than just bottom end !

I think the o2j shift feels much nicer than o2a, but you could put the o2j mech into 02a

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    I think the o2j shift feels much nicer than o2a, but you could put the o2j mech into 02a

Do you still want that dwiesel final drive 15???
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

That is internet bullshit, dont get drawn into that sheepish myth!

My 02A cable change, shifts as good or better than an 02J. Its like anything, its down to mileage & maintenance. 02J's got a good reputation because they were relatively new compared to most 02A's that were old & tired!

But there are more important points to choosing a gearbox. In general 02A's have much better final drive ratio's more suited to 15" wheels with low profile tyres, But the 02J's in general have shorter gears so are better for acceleration, and the shift boxes are less obtrusive in a MK1 shell. But you can find 02J's with more suitable final drives. ie. one fitted to TDi's for example

This is why, 2 days before we left for Worthersee I swapped the V5 gearbox that was designed for 16" wheels with balloon tyres for a VR6 box that was designed with 15" wheels in mind (see my thread for a ratio comparison). Not only was the engine revving to high in 5th, but because of the higher final drive ratio the gear ratios were stacked to close together making normal driving a PITA. perfect for a sprint car, but horrible to live with in the real world!

As with all car modifying, it doesnt just stop with an engine swap, you will want to tailor it to suit your own driving style/conditions. By knowing the rolling diameter of your tyres and the rev limit of the engine, you can calculated speeds in every gear on various gearboxes and choose a gear set that suits.

You can also change 5th gear in 02A/J's without dismantling the gearbox, so that gives you even more options, although I wouldnt have to big a jump between 4th & 5th, but if you choose the correct box to begin with then you wont need to get involved in a 5th swap. Unless, like i said above you want 4 gears of sprinting and a 5th as an overdrive.

Dave, if you are now confused, start by looking at the SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.8T gearbox, as these had 15" wheels with 195/50 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post

My 02A cable change, shifts as good or better than an 02J. Its like anything, its down to mileage & maintenance. 02J's got a good reputation because they were relatively new compared to most 02A's that were old & tired!

But there are more important points to choosing a gearbox. In general 02A's have much better final drive ratio's more suited to 15" wheels with low profile tyres, But the 02J's in general have shorter gears so are better for acceleration, and the shift boxes are less obtrusive in a MK1 shell. But you can find 02J's with more suitable final drives. ie. one fitted to TDi's for example

This is why, 2 days before we left for Worthersee I swapped the V5 gearbox that was designed for 16" wheels with balloon tyres for a VR6 box that was designed with 15" wheels in mind (see my thread for a ratio comparison). Not only was the engine revving to high in 5th, but because of the higher final drive ratio the gear ratios were stacked to close together making normal driving a PITA. perfect for a sprint car, but horrible to live with in the real world!

As with all car modifying, it doesnt just stop with an engine swap, you will want to tailor it to suit your own driving style/conditions. By knowing the rolling diameter of your tyres and the rev limit of the engine, you can calculated speeds in every gear on various gearboxes and choose a gear set that suits.

You can also change 5th gear in 02A/J's without dismantling the gearbox, so that gives you even more options, although I wouldnt have to big a jump between 4th & 5th, but if you choose the correct box to begin with then you wont need to get involved in a 5th swap. Unless, like i said above you want 4 gears of sprinting and a 5th as an overdrive.

Dave, if you are now confused, start by looking at the SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.8T gearbox, as these had 15" wheels with 195/50 tyres
    Good informative post alan, you in a better mood today love?

That's where mine is at now. With the lightened flywheel and diesel 5th.

The lightened flyhweel makes 1st a joke, it's way too easy to spin the wheels even with 16s.
    The diesel 5th means I have to get up to speed in 4th and then change gear. It will accelerate in 5th but it feels gutless. However it's much nicer to cruise in at motorway speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by DubMonkey View Post
    Do you still want that dwiesel final drive 15???
    Yes

That answer was based purely on my experience mk4 golf vs corrado. Golf felt much nicer, corrado may have been tired.

That answer was based purely on my experience mk4 golf vs corrado. Golf felt much nicer, corrado may have been tired.
    There's lots of bushings in the shift mechanism that can be improved by replacing plastic with bronze. Hotgolf does it for people I believe

Yes
    We'll talk

Quote Originally Posted by DubMonkey View Post
    That's where mine is at now. With the lightened flywheel and diesel 5th.

The diesel 5th means I have to get up to speed in 4th and then change gear. It will accelerate in 5th but it feels gutless.
    The torque that a turbo provides would help overcome that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    you in a better mood today love?
    I dont understand the question!