Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Pickup

1997 Pickup

Hi- Great forum !!!!

I've just bought a Caddy pickup 1998 (not 1997 as the header says) on impulse without looking at it (something I don't normally do)

I live in North Devon , are there any MK2 forum members from the area who like to tinker and know enough about caddys to advise/work on it ?

It's 1998, came with a truckman top, has around 100k on the clock and some rust around wheel arches and a few other places that I imagine is being hidden by the plastics.

My intentions are :
    -Service the engine - (inc cambelt/waterpump)
    -tighten the gear box up
    -Lower it
    -have it re-sprayed
    - replace the wheels
    - refurb the interior

No immediate rush although I'd like to get the cambelt done asap

I will be a regular on here though that's for sure

Cheers
    J
    Last edited by Yidarmy; 23-12-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Welcome !

Always good to see another mk2 !! It looks pretty decent from that one pic too ... And is that a full size bedliner I see in the back there?

cheers bud, not sure what horrors are lurking underneath though

looks nice.

cambelt / waterpump aint too bad, just be aware the markings on the cogs are a tad vague, they are there though.

wheels look decent, steelies for the win!

remember from the B pillar forwards it is a skoda Felicia not a VW, that seriously limits what will fit into the interior without modding it. I do know Subaru seats fit with a mess but only Felicia seats will fit without modification.

Spurs fan by any chance? or have I read the username wrong?

thanks for that, cambelt/waterpump is a little beyond my capability to be honest , so will get someone to do it . I normally use a garage but for the Caddy I want to be there when it is done so that I can help a little and feel like I'm having a go.

That's good info on the skoda, hadn't seen that as yet so saves a lot of time - cheers

And yes my sin is Spurs, season ticket holder althouth the last few seasons have been exciting ;O) Loving the George Berry pic (if that is him)

Welcome here!
    Good luck with jobs, just done most of your list in past half year.
    I asked garage for cambelt and set the fuelpump, but did waterpump myself (its on alternator belt and easy acces from bottom. ).

The cambelt aint too bad, in fairness my father in law can fix anything so having him around really helps. you do need an engine mount off to do the cambelt though so if you decide to have a go bear that in mind.

have a look here for MK2 pickup stuff, I put it together a while ago but the info has been useful: http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...ickup-Research

My brother is a Spurs fan (for some reason) I always look out for the results. Yes it is George Berry, you have to love the 'Fro

thanks for the advice much appreciated guys

& at Georges 'fro - lol proper old skool

Hi, could do with some help please. Been up and down the forum looking at the numerous threads on lowering and although the Golf gti mk iv seems the preferred option , I am going to take the easy option and go for some of these off ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-VOLKSWA...AAAOSwOfxXBO3T

As an absolute novice when it comes to ride height I always gone for coilovers so that the ride can be adjusted to my liking, however with these springs I am unsure whether to go for the 30mm option ,the 45mm option or the 60mm option. None of these sound a lot as its just 30mm between them but I would welcome some advice please from you gurus.

Cheers

Wow !! That's the first time I've seen any sort of after market suspension for the mk2 pickup ! Maybe coilovers will be available soon ?

Depends how low you want to go ??

I say If it doesn't scrape the floor, it's not low enough... buy the -60mm ones and then cut them in half

WP_20131018_003.jpg
    1998_volkswagen_caddy-pic-3730854012190883801-2.jpg

Either of these would do me, don't want to go to too low as live in Devon and the roads are not kind - Best judgement , would you say these are on 35mm , 45mm or 60mm ?

Cheers

It's hard to say but I recon the blue one is down 60 and the green ones down 45 ...

I've just been looking back through some old pics and I don't really have any good ones...

But this is just after I lowered mine and my best guess would be this is about -70mm on the front and -60mm on the back:
    image.jpg

Personally, if I were you I'd go for the -60mm, You won't have any clearance issues at that height..., but I've never used lowering springs so I can't say what it'll drive like or how much suspension travel you'd be left with

thanks buddy , that helps me a lot

Was about to buy those lowering springs , thought I'd have one more quick search and found these- Coil overs to fit the mk 2 caddy pickup , surely not that lucky !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2519552288...3AIT#vi-ilComp , coil overs for the Pickup ,the description says they fit the chassis , hmmmm

They're coilovers for a Mk2 van

thought that it would be too good to be true

ford focus ones fit the front with a bit of a mess, something from a Kia fits as well but im not 100% sure what. the info is on the forum though...

thanks Whelp , been over the forum a thousand times, still not certain on what does and doesn't , whenever I get my head around it I read something else and lose it again. I have seen the ford focus coilovers with a bit of tweaking and also mk 3 golf gti springs but I just want the simplest method so I think those purpose built springs will be best .

which purpose built ones?

i thought m6m62 said they were for a van?