Thread: Alh starting issue

Alh starting issue

For a while I've had a starting issue with my van. It's always been a bit lazy starting since I bought it.

Fitted some bigger injectors and ever since its been taking longer and longer to start. It's had a new battery, starter motor and glowplugs. To rule out these new injectors I fitted the old ones and the van wouldn't even start. Had the wife towing me for a mile or so to bump start but nothing. Soon as I fitted the new injectors back in it bump straight away.

When we had a couple of mornings of minus temps in the morning last week it wouldn't start at all. I get plenty of white smoke out the exhaust whilst it's turning over.
    I adjusted the timing last week just to see if it helped and if I advance it slightly it will start within about 10 secs. If I adjust it back to where it was it either won't start if cold or if its mild can take upto a minute of cranking.
    Only issue I have with advancing it is I have lost a fair chunk of power and the revs feel really lazy.

I've loaded vcds lite onto a laptop and taken some readings but can't get a timing graph as it says I need to be registered even though on ross tech site it said tdi timing graph included in software.

Anyway, anybody got any ideas on where I can go next? What to check/adjust/change.

Mine used to fire within half a turn. Since my remaps it has always fired after a couple of turns even at -8 (the brand new car parked next to me at work after a night shift showed this) im in Wales its colder here than most places. Is it chuffing smoke/losing coolant
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

It doesn't lose coolant. Just chugs white smoke until it's started which I believe is the unburnt fuel from it not firing.

Mmmm pump or injectors??? maybe injectors did you get the nozzles fitted professionally??
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

The new injectors were 110 bhp mk4 golf with .216s already fitted. I had a new set of nozzles that I already bought so I chucked them on as didn't think any adjustments were needed for swapping same sizes.
    It seems strange that it wouldn't fire or bump with the old injectors.
    I did think I could fit the old ones and send the new ones off to check them but that plan didn't work.

Progress has finally happened tonight I think, started with compression check all between 420-450 psi. Checked timing which was at 1.5 degree btdc adjusted to 3 degrees still the same. Then checked glowplug loom to make sure I was actually getting power. Found online that disconnecting coolant temp sensor tricked glowplugs into staying on, they all had 12v. Thought while it's disconnected to try and start. Boom within about 1/2 a turn it fired up. Connected again and wouldn't start very well. Left it disconnected and seems so far to be starting very quickly.

What I need to find now is where to set timing at in degrees. Chatting to a bloke in the unit up from us and he thought it should be about 10-12 degrees btdc antone know if this is correct?

Did you get to bottom of this

Nope back to square 1 again with it but now can't even get it to start.

they as bad as alfas when gd its gd but otherwise nightmare

Tell me about it. I've changed pump, injectors again, various sensors, fuel lines from tank aswell as various other shit.
    Every now and again when i change something it'll start on the button for a few days so think Ive sorted it, but then back to same old cranking for a few minutes.
    Neighbours love it at 6.45 as I've no silencers either. Some have mentioned I'm there alarm clock.

I have fitted a tell tale led to my glow plug harness, Handy for checking they are working .
    Maybe you have air getting in somewhere.....
    The tanks seem to vent with a little pressure... So when the fuel is hot and cools it contracts and may cause a partial vaccum in the tank which will allow atmospheric pressure to push in some air...
    I guess you have changed the leak off pipes, I think weve been over this already ...
    Maybe try slackening the fuel filler top overnight.
    I will send you a pic of my bulb pump, You can try turning on the ignition and pumping the system up with the pump to rule that out.

My first tdi had a motorbike starter solenoid wired so the glow harness would activate it or an overide switch in the dash,