Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 9K 1.9 TDi daily project of sorts

Yeah for sure!

Also i finally got ahold of a UK drivers side 6K2 mirror, it's on the way to a UK friend's house right now, he will ship it over once he gets it

I busted a swaybar link when i changed the balljoint, as i thought i would get more leverage of the control arm with it off, but of course it snapped... Luckily i had brand new ones laying around for my dead mk2 golf project. So a new one was installed the day after. It passed inspection now.

When looking for the links in the attic i found more stuff i will use on the Caddy
    Mk4 R32 rear control arm bushings, MK1 TT pedal covers, and a MK4 generation shiftknob

DSCN0799.jpg

Also cleaned her up a bit. And this damn winter weather making rust spots pop up all over under old touch ups... Cant wait for better weather so i can start sorting it out and get her ready for paint
    IMG_2491.jpg

Started sorting some dents out

IMG_2517.jpg

The rear part mostly straight now. Its rusty in the rocker seam, so need to repalce some metal there, and i weld in some fresh metal and shave the seam once i continue working on the rocker panel.
    Will remove all the chip guard and give it a fresh coat of OEM stuff later.
    IMG_2520.jpg

Sprayed some 2k epoxy to protect it for now.
    IMG_2521.jpg

Bought some more stuff
    DSCN0813.jpg

Still no sign of my UK spec 6k2 mirror my friend sent weeks ago, i fear that it got lost in transit...

Mirror turned up, it went back to my friend due to faulty adress.. At least its not gone. Was a pain in the ass to find hah.

Got some more bits and bobs for the car, and i have more on the way. Also seems like the spring is finally around the corner, so hope to start bodyworking for real soon.

I dont have permission to post in the thread about closing this forum, so i'll post here.
    I think that would be big shame, i love this place, full of great info and project threads, things like that does not work on fb.

I have been horrible at updating this, but i have been doing a lot of rust and dent repair recently, im staying over at work as often as i can, doing stuff.
    Some of the progress:

IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg

Pretty self explanatory i guess. I'm not doing any body filler work yet, i'll wait with that untill i have most welding done. It is epoxy primed for now. I want to avoid driving around with exposed filler.
    I took th rear bumper off to inspect for rust today, found a bit i need to deal with. I have two new rear arches on the way.

I also picked up a Kombi headliner, and a Audi S3 shiftknob among some other bits and bobs.

I'll try and update a bit more often, now that i'm actually doing something useful and all.

Might aswell post this too, test fit to see how bad my RM's will poke out in the front, and i must say with the Fender flares i picked up it's not too bad, i kinda like it, think it could be a nice fitment once she gets down to earth.
    IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg

Oh and i also ripped out the spare tire and its holder today, and it all went into the bin.
    And im looking at replacing the fixed tow hook i have with this nice westfalia removable one i got laying around. if i can get it to fit well and be fairly invisible with the hook removed, its a go.

Some of the recent part pickups, Audi S3 shiftknob, and a foglight harness.
    DSCN0878.jpg

There is a Caddy with the right type rear axle in a pull it yourself yard, that is fairly rust free, its the same car i took the Kombi headliner out of, i plan on going back there soon and buy that axle, so i can have a pre-flipped axle ready to go in when its time for that.
    They also have quite a few Ibizas and Cordobas i can take some black interior bits from.

Neat repairs !

Those repairs are Looking good. Where did you get the fog light harness
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Thank you! Comes with the trade i guess
    I got the harness from some German eBay dealer, i can look it up later for you

Also worth mentioning that the fender flares i picked up will be painted body color, and i dont like the way they end by the sills, so im getting side skirts to make it all blend in better, and look like it belongs there.
    But don't worry, i'm not getting tacky ricer skirts

Foglight harness
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/131792709488?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm on the fence about something, i have a Audi TT fuel flap partially installed on one of my mk2 golfs thats gettin scrapped, and i do like the look of these on the caddys, but quite a few has done it already, so i dont want to do something thats "played out" either. I'll have to think about it.
    Will probably have clearance issues with the fender flare too, and dealing with that could be more work than its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffegull View Post
    Foglight harness
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/131792709488?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm on the fence about something, i have a Audi TT fuel flap partially installed on one of my mk2 golfs thats gettin scrapped, and i do like the look of these on the caddys, but quite a few has done it already, so i dont want to do something thats "played out" either. I'll have to think about it.
    Will probably have clearance issues with the fender flare too, and dealing with that could be more work than its worth.
    Cheers will check it out. What Are the flares off
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Aftermarket flares for the Ibiza 6k. Rears will need extending done to meet up with the bumper, as the caddy bumper does not go up as much as the ibiza/cordoba, or that i get another set of front flares, as they fit damn close to perfect in the rear actually.

But will be more cost effective to extend the rears. I am a certified plastic repair tech after all haha

Got my rear arches, didnt expect much as usual with aftermarket metal bits, but quality was pretty bad. Poorly packed also, half the arches were hanging out of the parcel when i got it.. they are all warped and beat up...
    But i can make it work
    DSCN0879.jpg

I Started fixing rust behind one of the rear door hinges, and what a shit show it is turning into haha. Stripped the Torx Bolts, had to drill them out, and once i cut the outer layer of sheet metal i found more rust i need to deal with, so need to fab several new peices just for this corner.. I ran out of time today so i slapped the door back on again for now since this is my only car that drives.

Where did you get the rear arch repair panels from?

Some seller on german ebay.

Have started to dig deeper for rust, and as usual its never ending, i have the whole right side rear corner all cut up at the moment.. Parts that look fine on the outside are rusty in seams and under seam sealer. Forgot to take pics, but im doing more work on it tomorrow. no point half assing it, cut it all out and fab up new peices is the only way to go.
    Only pic i took
    IMG_2904.JPG

This corner is really turning into a headache.. And the other side looks to be about the same.. I'm really on the fence about this, trying to decide if i will fab these peices up myself or spend the dough for new original peices. All the ones i need are still available, i checked before i started cutting to be sure.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Started sanding in what looked like an old shitty crash repair, turned out to be bondo applied to cover this rust..
    3.jpg
    4.JPG

Weld trough primer applied
    5.jpg

Tacked in place
    6.jpg

Test fit
    7.jpg

Most of the welds and obligatory warped metal and stuff taken care of, also a dent further up on the panel pulled out
    8.jpg

Epoxy primed and ready to take me from A to B again untill the next sesh.
    DSCN0904.jpg

That's where I went wrong I didn't epoxy primer mine and now it's been sat all my repairs have gone rusty again

Yeah i saw that. It's very good as a barrier. Having free access to the primer is a plus too
    I will have everything in epoxy before i start with any bondo work, its good to have it as a base under to keep moisture away from the metal.
    We do this on most repairs