Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 9K 1.9 TDi daily project of sorts

The caddy has been taken off the road now, currently have it at work, but will move it to my dads place soon, before they start complaining at work at least haha. Hope to be able to start working on it for real soon.

Washed her a bit on thursday
    IMG_0895.jpg

And looked over my new daily beater i just bought, 99 ibiza 1.6, fresh tax and MOT, will use it untill the spring, then break it and use all useful bits for the caddy
    IMG_0894.jpg

Some stuff came in, think these will go well with the color im going for
    IMG_0909.jpg

Nice, I just changed to clear indicators and smoked side repeaters .looks quite fresh with the Ibiza GTi headlights

Nice! I'm going for Mexican Derby headlights if i can get ahold of a set at all haha

TT filler cap conversion in the works, no turning back now :P
    the hole has been cut up and mock up has started
    IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG
    VAG inox rustprotection paint applied
    IMG_0931.JPG
    Had to cut out a little bit of the flange on the bucket so it could be shaped after the body properly
    IMG_0932.JPG

Its welded in now, but i forgot to take any pictures of that. I have a lot of warped metal to sort out now, wich will be "fun" :P

The fliller cap will be painted black metallic, with gold plated bolts. so it matches my BBS RM wheels i'm putting on the car. They have black metallic centers, gold plated bolts, and gold plated conical centercap "nuts"
    Will get red/gold BBS emblems for them aswell

The wheels when they were freshly restored a few years back, they are still in pretty good condition as i havent driven much on them. But they could do with a nice clean and polish.
    reenact 142.jpg
    Getting this type of emblems for them
    s-l1600.jpg

TT cap conversion halfway there, need to grind all the welds, straighten out all the warping as good as i can, and then its time for a coat of epoxy, the filler work will be "fun".. :P
    IMG_0938.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by snuffegull View Post
    TT cap conversion halfway there, need to grind all the welds, straighten out all the warping as good as i can, and then its time for a coat of epoxy, the filler work will be "fun".. :P
    IMG_0938.JPG
    Not a simple job is it. It didn’t help when I did mine I found that the rear quarter was full of filler already.

I bet that sucked. I have done it once before on a mk2 golf, that was easier than this however.

Todays progress
    IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    Started taking the left rear door apart, found some nasty rust in the bottom seam, might have to write this one off.
    Its nice overall though, Will have a look if i can find a fresh one.
    IMG_0984.jpg
    Minor rust around the plate lights, but an easy fix
    IMG_0985.jpg
    This however isnt too fun, nothing has gone trough to the outside though, so could maybe be worth a try to save it
    IMG_0986.jpg

These 9K's do like to rust in the rear end!

Excellent work so far

That sure seems to be the case :P

Thank you

For todays sesh i could not get the van into the shop as it was blocked in by a 2k with smashed up suspension, that the towing guys had dropped off with zero fucks given as usual..
    So i decided take the right side rear door off and work on that.

First i stripped the door down completely, then i started dealing with the very minor rust it had, went at it with just about every tool we have in the arsenal to really get every single pore of it out, including a spot sandblaster and a really agressive rotary steel brush made specifically for rust and seam sealer removal
    IMG_0992.jpg

Then i i went at it with 180 grit paper and sanded it down to bare metal, and then i straightened out a couple of small dents, then i went over the whole thing again, this time with 240 grit paper.
    IMG_0993.jpg

Epoxy time in the small paint booth
    IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Still need to sort out the inside, and redo a bit of the seam sealer in the hinge cutout areas, some body filler work, and more primer.
    Next thursday i hope the van wont be blocked by some busted up car so i can get it in :P

We get off work at 14.30 on fridays, but the shop closes later, so decided to stay for an hour and fiddle with the door some more.
    Sanded down with 240 grit, and a thin coat of 3M fine bodyfiller applied where needed
    IMG_0997.jpg

Filler sanded with 180 and then 240 grit, most of it is more or less good now. Next step is a skim coat of Upol Dolphin glaze over much of the door
    IMG_0999.jpg

Nice work!

Nice work as always.

Thanks guys
    Next week i hope to get some decent progress done for the right side of the body. Since i have the door off anyways, and the majority of the work on this side is done.
    Still some welding to do in the door sill area, a little bit under the rocker, and in the upper door hinge area. Also need to weld up some holes in the wheel housing from a previous shelf installation, and i need to fab up a new filler neck bracket as that thing is toast. Also want to take the front fender off soon so i can strip the whole rocker down to bare metal.
    I might finally have found a guy willing to get me some mexican headlights also, so thats exiting

Cool Caddy =) Good job

Thank you

Yesterdays progress

Tore her down a bit more
    IMG_1014.jpg

Cut out some rust
    IMG_1011.jpg

Started to dig into some stuff in the pinch, and i'm actually concidering to change this sill now. They are cheap enough, and it will save me time, and the quality of the repair would be better. Would cut down a Ibiza/cordoba/polo classic 4 door sill and join it in the factory seam probably, and cannibalize the left over rear peice to patch up the rust further back.
    IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Some more work done to the rear door
    IMG_1023.jpg

Really need to clean and polish my wheels
    IMG_1024.jpg

How she currently sits untill next sesh
    IMG_1028.jpg