Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Swainys Mk2 caddy van no2

Cubby hole looks good mate, bring the van round next weekend and I'll wash it for you while you pull my loom out of my van?

Sounds a plan. Bekkis away for the weekend and I'm off over to work on saturday to investigate this ticking/smoke in engine bay issue so will come round after.
    You can take it for a spin too.

I have a decat stainless down pipe off my spare van for sale if you fancy it swainy
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Hmmm how much?
    Was going to make one.

Pm'd you mate

So got offered a decat from tontoe but cannot afford it at the minute with christmas shopping still to do and the 3 points and £100 fine i just got through from the work van.

In the meantime untill i decide on a turbo i want to run and make a downpipe i thought ill chop the cat and centre section out, had already lopped the backbox off which freed up acceleration alot, by the time i got it chopped off i couldnt be bothered to do anymore so packed up and came home, wish i hadnt, the noise was horrible, up until 3.5-4k it sounded horrendous and deafening, from 4-4.5k it quietened off a bit, tonight i thought ill fab up a quick stainless side exit, the noise is still as bad, i do have a slight blow where i clamped onto the downpipe so will weld this tomorrow night but wouldnt have thought it would make it as loud still.

Also since swapping the exhaust it goes into limp mode at about 100mph but it also doesnt accelerate aswell as it did before, got a code up of 17958.

Whilst it was up in the air i did investigate the ticking, smoky engine bay issue, looks like its blown a manifold gasket on cylinder 1 or 2 so that will be a turbo off job to replace.

So mitty washed my van for me whilst I took the engine loom out of his. Now it's clean makes me want to sort all the scabs etc.
    Finally sorted the horrific noise from the exhaust and it now sounds quite cool still not got to the bottom of the fault code, limp mode or shit starting issue though. . It took a good minute of turning over this morning to start with clouds of white smoke.

Looks loads better! Where did you get your rear light from? Im running the same as mitty atm reversing light each side, but fancy a change

It sounded ace when you left you can hear the turbo whistle.
    Sort the scabs and get it painted

Tontoe i got them from a chap in norfolk off facebook where i got my rear doors and front end from.
    Im sure i read somewhere after i bought them you can still order them from the dealer may well have been a old thread though.

Mitty, went to boston to do the food shop when i left yours, went down some built up streets with windows open and foot flat to the floor sounds even better.

Anyone know what the vac line simplification entails. The code 17958 says it could be the n75 valve which from what I've found is same as the egr valve. My egr is blocked off so can I remove all vac lines for it and use the egr solenoid as a n75?
    Last edited by swainy; 26-11-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Will give tps a shout Monday!

that starting issue sounds like glow plugs.

long time turning over followed by white smoke...

a set should be under £20 so if it isn't you haven't lost much.

Just ordered a set of new glowplugs.

No i thought that on the way home. youll have to remind me when i drop them flanges off in the week.

Mine is going into competition with you today rob. Went to collect our holiday home 200 miles left the caddy looking like this!!!!!! Holiday home attached 20161127_124228.jpg
    Last edited by tontoe; 27-11-2016 at 09:18 PM.

That looks cool. Needs lowering though.
    Bring the van to mitty he'll wash it for you. Be just as dirty again by time you got home though.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    Mine is going into competition with you today rob. Went to collect our holiday home 200 miles left the caddy looking like this!!!!!! Holiday home attached 20161127_124228.jpg
    I love that caravan, is it an eriba?

So new set of glowplugs turned up fitted them and no real difference in starting. Getting chugs of white smoke out the exhaust so happy there's fuel it's just not firing for 20 seconds or so. It's had 2 days sat at home as it wouldn't start in the -3 temp we've had.
    Not sure what to check next. Thinking maybe timing? The chap I bought it off said it had a new cambelt a few months before I got it and it's always turned over a few times before its fired.

On brighter news finally had my cupra front and solid rear doors painted.
    Need to find what other bits I need to get the front on, I'm aware of the headlight plugs but not sure on anything else.
    Can't wait to get them fitted and the rest of the van painted.

Liking the colour!