Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Swainys Mk2 caddy van no2

Swainys Mk2 caddy van no2

So had my old caddy sdi on here which I regretted selling straight after selling it.
    About a year passed with a couple of cheap shifty runaround then I found this van 10 mins up the road. It wasn't actally for sale but the chap was out one day and lost all brakes.
    Quick look around and it was the exhaust on the brake pipe after the axle had been Flipped. Agreed a price and brought it home.
    It had some 16" rover wheels with massive tyres the hit the arches and kept pulling the front bumper off so searched ebay for some replacements. Settled on some alfa romeo teledial with some adapters.

The van had apparantly been mapped which it does go very well so couldnt argue with that and also has 280mm brakes. Which I have some 312mm to go on.
    Bought some .216 nozzles along with some mk4 golf 110 bhp injector bodies and fitted them. Couldn't tell much of a difference at first but the range rover sport I sailed past told a different story. 😀

A mate is stripping a e39 bmw so had the leathers out of that. Was a bit of a headache getting them to fit but a few hours fabricating and there in.

Rear arches were very crusty. Gave them a good going over to derust. Planning on paint in the not to distant future so see how it holds over winter.

Finishing insulating out the rear
    Making a stainless manifold for a bigger turbo. Still yet to decide on what turbo thinking a gt2052 or similar.

Nice van. I would go .260 nozzles and 1749vb. For best daily usability with a 10mm pump. I fancy going to an 11mm pump and gt2056next .
    Last edited by tontoe; 10-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Is that the pd150 turbo?
    Been thinking about getting a spare alh pump and fitting a 11mm pump head ready for larger turbo.

Yeah modified arl150 turbo
    Last edited by tontoe; 10-11-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Looks in better knick than mine

Course it is mines driveable.

True that

Fitted another set of wheels to try and help with traction. The skinny 165s weren't doing to well on the old wheels.
    Not 100% sure on these but they'll do until I find something else.

Last edited by swainy; 13-11-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Looks alright mate

Bought a set of rear lights few weeks ago. Finally got round to fitting them. The old ones had been sprat tinted and looked shit.

Much better I think.

Might look better if the van didn't look like it had been dragged out of a pond

Quote Originally Posted by swainy View Post
    Bought a set of rear lights few weeks ago. Finally got round to fitting them. The old ones had been sprat tinted and looked shit.

Much better I think.
    Lights look good.
    Not blowing much smoke then!!!

It does smoke a bit. Since I put the .216s in it takes a while to start and think it's blown one of the manifold gaskets as there's a ticking noise and smoke in and around the engine bay. Need to get it lifted up to have an investigation.
    Also I chopped the back box off a while ago so the exhaust finishes in front of the axle which is coated in soot.

A bit looks like its "rolling coal" my mates golf does and he loves it! Where did you buy your euro light from??

To be honest it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home so don't really know how much it smokes.
    I went to pick up a pair of solid rear doors from a chap near Norwich. He looked at my lights and said think you need some new ones I've got these if you want. He said they were rare euro spec but after a look about I don't think there actually that rare at all.
    Also ended up with a cupra front after rummaging through his shelving. Gave 280 for the doors cupra front rear lights and some standard front foglights that I now don't need.

Thats a result!

Had a fairly productive day on the van. Started to get the rear end sorted.
    When i bought the van it had some ply panels on the sides which were a pretty good fit so decided to use them. Bought some sticky back closed cell foam a while ago which i covered the roof and sides in. Covered the ply panels in some charcoal van lining carpet which have been sat in the garage for a while. also covered the rear end round the door, tucked this under the door seal and behind the ply panels.

Also made a subbox when i first got the van, this also got some carpet.

Saw a post on facebook where someone made a cubby hole just behind the cab on the roof, i copied this as thought it will give me somewhere to mount the ply on the roof and the sidepanels to join the roof to the sides.
    It took alot a measuring and cutting but finally got something that looked a decent fit. Used an old 288mm brake disc for the shape of the roof which was about the right radius.

Trimmed it to height and cut out the hole, used the router to round the edge off.

Thats all for the day, run out of glue and staples, also need some 6mm ply to get the roof parts done.

nice, looking very good!

Looking good swainy! You given the outside a wash???

Cheers. StIill undecided what to do over the arch tubs though.

No didn't have time to wash it. It'd only be the same again in a few days with the roads round my house.