Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Swainys Mk2 caddy van no2

Finally might be getting somewhere with the starting issue. Bought the full version of vagcom to access the tdi timing graphs.
    Plugged it all in and it came up with fuel temp too low. So swapped the sensor over from my other pump.
    After waiting for half an hour for the coolant temp to get high enough it came up with "engine too retarded"
    Got hold of the correct timing tools so hopefully on Saturday it might finally start properly. Going to change out the crank sensor and the coolant temp sensor too.

Also finally managed to get a reply from bartek after trying to get a reply for ages, he's writing some chips for me for my ecu so hopefully it should have a bit more poke.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So Saturday had another day trying to sort the van, still doesn't start on the button but is a hell of a lot better.
    Adjusted the pump timing on vagcom, changed the crank sensor and tried to check the cam timing but couldn't as we didn't have the correct cam lock tool, it looked near as dammit but have ordered the tools to make sure it's spot on.
    Chips turned up for the ecu so I'm now running a lot better, although keep popping boost pipes off as it boosts to 25 psi, the cheap clamps that come with the intercooler kits cant cope. next step is to find a dyno and see what power its actually producing.

IMG-20181020-WA0002.jpgIMG-20181019-WA0005.jpg

Made a start on a new inlet manifold. It's a standard alh with the restrictive top cut off, will then remake the top section so it flows more.
    Have started to port match to the gasket and open up the throats which will then get polished. Hopefully polish it enough so the soot can't stick to it and clog it up.
    My dremel keeps overheating so have ordered some parts for the die grinder.
    I think a port and polished head may well help but that can be done at a later date.

20181024_194120.jpg20181024_194319.jpg

Been working away on the inlet. Few sanding and polishing parts turned up end of last week. Have got all ports matched to the gasket and have started polishing. Got the 1st one finished tonight. 3 more to do then can start working building the top section.

20181030_192715.jpg20181030_192722.jpg20181030_193607.jpg

Nice stuff!

Thanks snuffegull.

More shenanigans on the inlet. Was showing my boss my plans earlier and he said I'd need to bolt it to something solid to stop it warping whilst welding. He asked if I had an old head, I said no but you have from your caddy you blew up, I'll chop that up. .
    Set about chopping the backend of the head out to get the tig torch in and got the first bit of tube tacked it place.
    I'll get the side plates cut and tacked in one night this week.

One of the lads at work Also asked why I'd ported and polished the inlet, he reckoned that a inlet is better with a rough texture inside.

20181106_174359.jpg20181106_180620.jpg
    Last edited by swainy; 06-11-2018 at 09:12 PM.

In days of old with Carbs a rough inlet was a great idea fuel that dropped out would be able to vaporise again.
    With direct injection derv the fuel dosnt need to be carried in. the shape inside the port will be more important to get swirl past the valve.
    Polishing will help stop anything sticking and building up

surfing the forum when I should be writing reports..... (Aylesbury or Lincoln)
    You could try PPT in Louth for a razz on their Mahl rolling road.
    I officially owe Mk2 Pickup a pint!

Check out my van tread: http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=54410