Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Shaun, I have a pretty quite day tomorrow, if you text to remind me I will measure what you need
    Thanks Al. I'll drop you a line tomorrow. That's a very kind offer.

I've now attached most of the bits under the bed...

20181226_110539.jpg

It was so nice welding new metal to new metal. Some of the welds looked like some that you guys produce.

But does anyone know exactly where this little fella goes?...

20181226_110641.jpg

that little fella goes right at the back on the last crossmember with a plate below it, heres a picture, very bottom left corner u can just about see it.

for jango.jpg

Great work jango this is turning it really well, welding new metal to new is a great feeling, isnt it.

Bingo! Thanks Nick Nack. And yes, new metal feels sublime. Although I've just found more rot inside the other sill (repaired badly and rotten again). It was well disguised. And I think I might have to replace most of the drivers floor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Bingo! Thanks Nick Nack. And yes, new metal feels sublime. Although I've just found more rot inside the other sill (repaired badly and rotten again). It was well disguised. And I think I might have to replace most of the drivers floor too.
    if you're gonna do it, may aswell do it properly! i regret not putting new floor pans in, my reason was because they were already new, but i should've just done it for peace of mind.

Yours will be nice and rot free for years to come! just make sure to epoxy the whole thing!

Today has been enjoyable. I've chopped out more rust and prepared some new bits to go in.
    Here's an aerial view of my efforts. I'm looking forward to welding in my new panels tomorrow.
    I've had to cover my new inner panels with weld through primer as it's all I have and I thought it better than bare metal. Once it's all built I will give it all a high colonic with that waxy stuff I've seen a few of you pros use.
    20181227_182723.jpg

I suspect after all this..... you will be considerably more "pro" and caddy knowledgeable with actual experience than most of us

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    I suspect after all this..... you will be considerably more "pro" and caddy knowledgeable with actual experience than most of us
    No chance. I will always be a novice. I'm middle aged and fanny about on the weekends. Many if the good folk on here have been playing with this sort of stuff for decades and some professionally, so I know my place for sure.
    I very happy occupying the bottom rung, all visitors welcome.

I finished the 'innards ' and I'm going to run a new outer sill down the side as the old one has holes.

20181228_173420.jpg

20181228_173441.jpg

As you can see, I haven't welded the part near the inner arch. I figured the inner was coming out so I'd wait and weld it to the new bit once I get to it.
    Last edited by Jango; 28-12-2018 at 05:25 PM.

After a planned break from caddy land I've already gotten confused. Here's what I've done, followed by images of what I don't know....
    20190308_164002.jpg
    I've begun to put both sill sections in. It all marries up with the swage line.

The image below shows one dilemma. Does the arch go on top, under or does it butt up against the sill?
    20190308_164042.jpg

This image below shows a potential nightmare. Everything lines up and I've screwed it in place before I weld it, but look at the bottom edge!!!! Its landing unspeakably high. Do any of you chaps know where I've gone wrong as I have lined up the swage line but it still falls short.
    20190308_164253.jpg
    Last edited by Jango; 08-03-2019 at 05:28 PM.

You don’t want to overlap your joints at all, especially on the wheel arch. Also, you don’t need to replace all tht are around the arch so cut away some of the excess and only replace what you need to. Looks real close to the filler cap too and there’s no point fucking about going that far out. Regarding the bit at the bottom, again don’t overlap, just but the pieces up together and then pull them apart just a smidge so there’s room for the weld to get right in there

looking at your previous pics it looks like the inner part was deeper than needed.

Compare to the opposite side

Again, thanks Al. All duly noted. I've taken on board what you have suggested. Below is my interpretation of your wisdom.

20190310_125738.jpg

20190310_164750.jpg

As you can see, it's all screwed in place and awaiting to be welded in.

Quote Originally Posted by worthingcaddy View Post
    You don’t want to overlap your joints at all, especially on the wheel arch. Also, you don’t need to replace all tht are around the arch so cut away some of the excess and only replace what you need to. Looks real close to the filler cap too and there’s no point fucking about going that far out. Regarding the bit at the bottom, again don’t overlap, just but the pieces up together and then pull them apart just a smidge so there’s room for the weld to get right in there
    Cheers Ant. Most of its cut and secured. I've just to butt up the sill part and weld it all in.

So, this is what my best effort looks like. Perfection is far from here but it feels ok. Any tips are always welcome.

20190313_193612.jpg

Yes, try grinding those welds down

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Yes, try grinding those welds down
    Will do. I was afraid of taking too much off. Cheers dude.

I've been plodding along over the weekend. Popped the other arch in. For some reason my welding really suffered as I just couldn't get the settings right. It's all penetrated well, it just took me a long and frustrating time.
    At some point it must have had a knock as the arch and forward of it got to an inch deep of filler, I'm not exaggerating! So a larger area got replaced.

20190401_193947.jpg

I'm really uncertain about the inner arches. Everything is super fucked. I need to replace every bit, it's all either bent, rotten or bent and rotten.

20190401_194248.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Everything is super fucked.

Nice technical description there

I've been tinkering. My arches were done for so I tried to make new ones. I watched some dude make lovely curved shapes with an English wheel and an array of hammers etc. He also used a few decades of experience which I couldn't buy. So here is my version using fuck all experience, no practice and much swearing. However, it was enjoyable, I did it myself and I know that I won't be producing work that many of you would be happy with...

20190410_180325.jpg

20190413_113356.jpg

Then I chopped out the old part and welded,this in. I felt that the settings were better on my welder and it felt good, for the first time in a while. I think my welding is improving, marginally.

20190422_175556.jpg
    Last edited by Jango; 22-04-2019 at 05:38 PM.