Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 401

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

  1. #381
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    I found with epoxy mastic, I needed to over thin it to get it to flow nicely, but I used a probably inappropriate topcoat gun!
    Luckily for me I have another week or 2 finishing off the welding, so I can begin to make sense of the products, which ones to buy and how to apply them.

    But I've done some, not too shit, welding. I'm quietly chuffed!

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    I felt I had gotten my welding up to standard. So I've started stitching the cross members, rails and mounts.

    20181026_142601.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jango; 27-10-2018 at 11:26 PM.

  3. #383
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    cornwall
    Posts
    1,854
    Looking good

  4. #384
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Looking good
    Thanks, it won't be a patch on your fine wagon, but I'll be equally as proud when it's finished.

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Here's a question which may result in me being exposed as the retard that I am.
    I'm trying to stitch weld my chassis rails to the inner panel which is forward of the spring turrets. Normally it would be spot welded but this isn't possible.
    What happens is that I get rained on with huge blobs, one landed on my airline and caused me to nearly prolapse as the line burst next to me.
    My question is: can I leave it, get everything else done, pop it back on the rotisserie and weld it when it's upside down?

  6. #386
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Here's a question which may result in me being exposed as the retard that I am.
    I'm trying to stitch weld my chassis rails to the inner panel which is forward of the spring turrets. Normally it would be spot welded but this isn't possible.
    What happens is that I get rained on with huge blobs, one landed on my airline and caused me to nearly prolapse as the line burst next to me.
    My question is: can I leave it, get everything else done, pop it back on the rotisserie and weld it when it's upside down?
    i had to do this with the rear panel and leaf spring mounts, i stitch welded a few spots then put it on the rotisserie but my chassis rails were already attached of course.
    as long as it's solid it should be ok, but other thing is, try turning the amps up and wire speed up, and doing quick tacks, will penetrate metal faster and hopefully and not rain down on you! ( you can always do a few big ugly welds and grind them down once on rotisserie and then just go over them again once it's all solid)

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    i had to do this with the rear panel and leaf spring mounts, i stitch welded a few spots then put it on the rotisserie but my chassis rails were already attached of course.
    as long as it's solid it should be ok, but other thing is, try turning the amps up and wire speed up, and doing quick tacks, will penetrate metal faster and hopefully and not rain down on you! ( you can always do a few big ugly welds and grind them down once on rotisserie and then just go over them again once it's all solid)
    Now that makes sense to me. Thanks. I'll be giving that a go.

  8. #388
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    149
    nice progress!

  9. #389
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Despite my lack of update I am still beavering away, albeit slowly. I have fitted all 4 bed corners but one is really shot to bits and will have to be replaced with a piece of flat sheet metal
    However, I am nearly ready to mount it back onto the rotisserie, which will be a moment of success for me.
    I'm going to replace the dodgy bed corner and fit an outer valance before the rotisserie otherwise I fear there will be trouble due to having fuck all strength in the rear corner.
    I'd better get shopping at my favourite caddy stockist then!!!!

  10. #390
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    20181115_175319.jpg
    A photo for a mate.

  11. #391
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Some progress. I've pinged off the cross beams, valance fitted and I've had to remove the knackered bed corner and had to replace it with sheet metal sadly. I might be able to pop her back onto the rotisserie tomorrow, fingers crossed.

    20181201_172401.jpg

    20181201_172410.jpg

  12. #392
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    187
    wow! amazing work! just uhh, make sure those side pieces are strong, i tacked mine in place and accidently stood on it, whoops... had to grind it all back and reweld after i finished making it look flush with bodyfiller

  13. #393
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Yes. I'll be needing to improve some aesthetics with a little filler and raptor. It's all new to me still.

  14. #394
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Arundel
    Posts
    607
    Looking good Jango. keep up the good work

  15. #395
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Cheers dude. Let's hope it all sta4ts getting easier from now on.

  16. #396
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in wiffy viral quarantine
    Posts
    15,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Yes. I'll be needing to improve some aesthetics with a little filler and raptor. It's all new to me still.

    no its noooot

    your on year 3 now!

  17. #397
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    no its noooot

    your on year 3 now!
    There is a strange irony in that I tend to be able to acquire skills and understanding fairly easily, however my progress on all fronts with this project feels like it's triggered my retard gene.
    But I really do enjoy it very much. I'd rather be happy and limited than shit-hot and miserable.

  18. #398
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    leeds
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    There is a strange irony in that I tend to be able to acquire skills and understanding fairly easily, however my progress on all fronts with this project feels like it's triggered my retard gene.
    But I really do enjoy it very much. I'd rather be happy and limited than shit-hot and miserable.
    just remember nowt is done over night
    left mine for about 18 months untouched then a mate who knew a little about cars wanted to learn more n offered to help now getting cracked on again even tho slowly lol
    i do have other interests tho since buying it 4 years or so ago in mean time i have a mk1 golf done loads of body work on n had painted (even tho crap lol) bought a mk2 golf track car (with said mate) n stripped a audi TT for the bam engine which is just about in and last month bought a mk2 jetta £600 which passed test with just a couple of small jobs on it (adjust rear bearings n brakes couple of bulbs)

    keep at it pal be worth it in the end and loads of new skills developed
    my mate never ever touched a welder or grinder but he is fine now and removed engine out of track car on his own while i was laid on a beach in florida lol

  19. #399
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by marc7 View Post
    just remember nowt is done over night
    left mine for about 18 months untouched then a mate who knew a little about cars wanted to learn more n offered to help now getting cracked on again even tho slowly lol
    i do have other interests tho since buying it 4 years or so ago in mean time i have a mk1 golf done loads of body work on n had painted (even tho crap lol) bought a mk2 golf track car (with said mate) n stripped a audi TT for the bam engine which is just about in and last month bought a mk2 jetta £600 which passed test with just a couple of small jobs on it (adjust rear bearings n brakes couple of bulbs)

    keep at it pal be worth it in the end and loads of new skills developed
    my mate never ever touched a welder or grinder but he is fine now and removed engine out of track car on his own while i was laid on a beach in florida lol
    You've certainly got your hands full dude. I'm happily spending weekends toiling away. Now my caddy is back on the rotisserie I can begin to unfuck some of my fuck ups. i.e. remove all the weld through primer I covered it with (literally everywhere) and apply better products, the correct way.

  20. #400
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    leeds
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    You've certainly got your hands full dude. I'm happily spending weekends toiling away. Now my caddy is back on the rotisserie I can begin to unfuck some of my fuck ups. i.e. remove all the weld through primer I covered it with (literally everywhere) and apply better products, the correct way.
    its all learning and practice pal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •