Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    Here you go https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F152781988341
    I rub them off a bit before use
    Bingo! Thanks amigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Quick update.
    Not done a huge amount. I've got all the left sill fitted. My welding is solid but ugly and I've yet to learn about grinding.
    What you will learn is.....

Make your welds flat, coz grinding is noisy, dirty, boring, fills your lungs, shed and white Up! Parked outside full of shitting rusty dust.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    What you will learn is.....

Make your welds flat, coz grinding is noisy, dirty, boring, fills your lungs, shed and white Up! Parked outside full of shitting rusty dust.
    Have you been spying on me?

So this is my first swing with these flappy discs. I can see the errors of my ways. So much more to learn. Big thanks to Elroy, tontoe and 13 for taking the time to try and teach this old dog new tricks.

20180217_123413.jpg

I usually use a grinding disc to loose the hump. Flap discs to pricey to use all the time

I usually use a grinding disc to loose the hump. Flap discs to pricey to use all the time
    Don't listen to tight arse!!! Always use flap discs!! I always rub the new ones down a bit on a bit of scrap steel.keep the really used ones for final finishing! Grinding discs are good for nothing! You only need stainless slitting discs and used flap discs !
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

The noise made from grinding discs is enough reason to use flaps.

Thanks for the clarification chaps. I'll strike a balance between my ears and my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    Don't listen to tight arse!!! Always use flap discs!! I always rub the new ones down a bit on a bit of scrap steel.keep the really used ones for final finishing! Grinding discs are good for nothing! You only need stainless slitting discs and used flap discs !
    If you were any good at welding, you wouldn't need them

If you were any good at welding, you wouldn't need them
    Nobody's welding is as bad as mine is right now.

Nobody's welding is as bad as mine is right now.
    i dunno, i bet i could give you a run for your money

Or monkey

I had a mate pop by last night who has done all this bodywork and welding malarkey his whole life. I got him to demo lots of different skills on my truck. It was only 45 mins but the little bits he showed me would have taken me weeks to do a shitter job of.
    What an eye opener.

Now I can't blame my tools any more

I had a mate pop by last night who has done all this bodywork and welding malarkey his whole life. I got him to demo lots of different skills on my truck. It was only 45 mins but the little bits he showed me would have taken me weeks to do a shitter job of.
    What an eye opener.

Now I can't blame my tools any more
    Can you not get him to come and do another demo next week and do abit more for you?

Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post
    Can you not get him to come and do another demo next week and do abit more for you?
    If only. He works or a posh car company and he's off to Singapore to do whatever it is he does.

However, I learned that my welding wire needs to be 0.8mm not 0.6mm, which may explain my burning through issues. He also cleaned up some of my welds which looked far better.

I'm really happy to go back over my old work and make it all better. And the lighter evenings will help also as my garage lighting is terrible.

Thats what i run 0.8 wire for 20 gauge (.81mm) sheet steel, anything body panel related, jacking points etc, thicker steel like the rear leaf spring turrets and such i put 1mm wire in but the majority of it needs 0.8 ��

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack23 View Post
    Thats what i run 0.8 wire for 20 gauge (.81mm) sheet steel, anything body panel related, jacking points etc, thicker steel like the rear leaf spring turrets and such i put 1mm wire in but the majority of it needs 0.8 ��
    That's great to hear. I'm on the right track and running out of excuses for producing such slow and poor work.

Have you tried a work light? I used to use those halogen ones on a pole but I bet a modern led one would be crackin

Have you tried a work light? I used to use those halogen ones on a pole but I bet a modern led one would be crackin
    I've not tried halogen lights, but I have a couple of high power LED lamps. They seem to cause more shadow and also dazzle from the freshly ground metal.

However, I am very fortunate as my employer, who have given me my workshop for free, have sent an electrician round yesterday and have agreed to fit some new lighting. The good news is that the electrician did the lights at a main dealers the other day and knows more about what I need than I do. I feel very lucky indeed!!!!

I fitted led batton type lighting above my work station and get so much glare down the back of my mask now, drives me crazy, gonna have to move it!