Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    great work jango that is looking lovely!

when you put the rear leaf spring mounts in, i put them in place fiirst, held them in place with the rear panel, take it all out, and weld the mounts onto the back panel first, so you got perfect position and you'll beable to weld most of it up instead of welding upside down!

i'd also recommend putting some panels to seal up the chassis rail from the bottom, will add strength and stop crap getting in there and rotting.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, I'll see that it gets done that way. It makes good sense to me. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    get all those layers cur off mate, that's horrendous lol
    I thought this shell was a lot heavier than my last. Now I know why!! I'll get chopping again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Ahh this is excellent! freesh metal work makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Ahh this is excellent! freesh metal work makes me happy
    I was also rather delighted. Sadly it all has been removed so that I can build the panels around the rails.

Here is my dilemma of the day. Below is a pic of my arch with the shite cut out. Upon scanning my photos of how it should look I realised that I have no point of reference as it was all wonky with repairs before I began chopping.
    Anyone got a pic of what I should aspire to?
    20180913_200147.jpg

alright, things have gotten a bit more difficult! you might not like this, but it honestly might be easier to cut the whole thing out, and get some arches off a scrap car that look similar. It won't be original, but it'll definitely be unique.

if you're taking the whole bed out, maybe put some ratchet strap hook mounts on the bed connecting to the chassis rail with thick metal, if you ever want to carry something they're there

I'm liking the regular updates, few hours a day and you'll be there in no time, keep it up jango.

just worry about the flat bits for now, you can fill the other bits in after

IMG_1278.jpg

The above is in my loft, but it cost me €299 plus the UK VAT
    Last edited by Al; 13-09-2018 at 07:56 PM.

IMG_1278.jpg

does anyone actually need that, apart from the flat bits, they don't really rust do they? just get dented and crap, must be a pig to replace!

IMG_1278.jpg

That's very snazzy. Do you have the other side?

Ok. I'm going to try and get all the flat bits right then put in the rails etc.
    My next concern is how the inner panels and the bed seams fit.
    Do they meet and butt up against each other as roughly indicated in my pic (below) or overlap each other. I think the former but I don't know for sure.
    And I'm really sure how to weld the rails to this. Do I drill the rails and plug weld to the panels? Both panels? I'll go back to scratching my chin again.

20180913_204143.jpg
    Last edited by Jango; 13-09-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Ok. I'm going to try and get all the flat bits right then put in the rails etc.
    My next concern is how the inner panels and the bed seams fit.
    Do they meet and butt up against each other as roughly indicated in my pic (below) or overlap each other. I think the former but I don't know for sure.

20180913_204143.jpg
    is this what you mean?

bed 1.jpg

Not quite. In my pic there are 2 panels that butt up against each other. One is a piece of salvaged bed (small row of holes) that needs fitting and below that is the inner sill (pairs ol old spot weld marks) that sticks up and meets it. Do these butt up against each other or overlap?

Hah thanks, I really appreciate your pains in adding clarity to my understanding. I've communicated this poorly.
    I understand all I have seen but the bit I don't understand will come out in the wash I'm sure.

I'm glad al knows what you mean because i have no clue, sorry

ah man, sucks you're having to sort so much of it. you're going to be a pro by the tie it's finished though

Quote Originally Posted by worthingcaddy View Post
    ah man, sucks you're having to sort so much of it. you're going to be a pro by the tie it's finished though
    I'll more likely be a pensioner before I become a pro!

This woke me in the night.
    Once the side parts of the bed are installed/ repaired and all is fixed up well enough to install my chassis rails properly, how do I attach the rail to the panels? They were spot welded, so does that mean I have to drill my rails to plug weld them to the panels as I can't access them from the other side?

20180913_204143.jpg

No, because you wont be able to get to all the parts that need welding. You can do that in the wheel arch area, but the rest you can seam (stitch) weld and grind down. Seam welding is also stronger than spot/plug welds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    does anyone actually need that, apart from the flat bits, they don't really rust do they? just get dented and crap, must be a pig to replace!
    Not unless a caddy gets accident damaged! But I got it to see if there were any parts I could re-make from it, and was hoping the inner arch was part of it

That's very snazzy. Do you have the other side?
    No VW Germany only had the left hand side