Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    So you’re my pit bitch?
    You had me at 'carrot'.

After a lot of kind words of support and great weekend at Action, I was ready to crack on with the caddy.
    As you can see, I've popped the tailgate on and the rest of the panels to make sure everything fits well enough. Then I stuck in some cross bracing with some very unique looking welds.
    Measured and recorded every dimension I could think of. Chopped the rotten cross members and exposed the chassis rails, which are so fucked I still can't believe how it didn't just fold in half.
    I'm going to do a lot of cleaning up as I can't make out many welds that I may need to cut through.

image.jpg

Thats not going anywhere Jango, braced beautifully, good work

Glad you decided to have a go! those braces aren't going anywhere!

Goodluck jango, you're already half way there!

I might be down that way on Sunday Shaun if you want me to have a gander

Thanks chaps. I really appreciate the support. It's definitely a journey into the unknown for me. I'm treading carefully. I have so many questions!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I might be down that way on Sunday Shaun if you want me to have a gander
    You'd be most welcome. Pop by by all means. I'll definitely have a question or 2000.

Well, I've been busy and had a visit from a wise and kind man who helped me get my game plan together.

The pics below are of my wagon slowly having the cross members and a chassis rail removed. I kept a turret on for ease of relocating the rail.
    I've a lit to di to the outer bed panel lips as most have, of course, fucking rotted away with every other part of this project!

I rested a new rail in place and clamped it. I found that moment extremely heartening. I feel like I'm getting somewhere again. I thought this was over but I'm still here, thanks to a bunch of really cool chaps on this forum who have gone out of their way to help.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Great work jango! this is the hardest part, everything else after this will feel like a piece of cake!

Thanks guys. I have a new sense of possibility and optimism. Let's hope the gradient slopes downwards from here. This project has been harder than quite a few other challenges I have undertaken.

can you make your pics bigger shaun, my old minces aint what they used to be

what he said

I hear you. These were taken with an iPad and uploaded from it. My phone has a better camera and uploads bigger, clearer pics but I have forgotten my password to my forum account so I can't log my phone on. I'll get it sorted for the next thrilling instalment of this build.n

So, I've roughly fitted my rails and rear panel.
    The rails look a little long but that might be more to do with my fitting.
    I've cut some repairs from my arches. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I cut through over 5 layers of repairs and one layer was 5mm.
    Below are a bunch of pics in no particular order.
    20180912_175516.jpg
    20180912_175859.jpg

20180912_183108.jpg
    I popped the rails in to make myself feel better. They will all be out as i need to address the repairs to the inner panels that meet the chassis.

Also, even when roughly fitted the rails are nearly exactly parallel and level. That's very reassuring.

great work jango that is looking lovely!

when you put the rear leaf spring mounts in, i put them in place fiirst, held them in place with the rear panel, take it all out, and weld the mounts onto the back panel first, so you got perfect position and you'll beable to weld most of it up instead of welding upside down!

i'd also recommend putting some panels to seal up the chassis rail from the bottom, will add strength and stop crap getting in there and rotting.

Keep up the good work.

Just read your whole thread! Great work!

get all those layers cur off mate, that's horrendous lol

Quote Originally Posted by andydlc View Post
    Just read your whole thread! Great work!
    Thanks, it's been an emotional roller coaster. Still tonnes to do and loads to learn.