Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

Prismatic diffusers for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Prismatic diffusers for the win!
    Good call.

I may need a little guidance here chaps.
    As you can see I'm in outer sill/wheel arch territory.
    A wise man told me that front arches are the way to go when it comes to the issue in the photo.
    I guess I have 2 questions:
    1. Which side front arch would I need?
    2. Do I fit arch then sill or sill then arch?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

20180310_134205.jpg

you need the offside front arch. get a repro wing and cut the bit out that you need. which sills did you buy to replace the section between the front and rear wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by worthingcaddy View Post
    you need the offside front arch. get a repro wing and cut the bit out that you need. which sills did you buy to replace the section between the front and rear wheels?
    Thanks Ant. I went with 5 door sills as the arch seems fine. It's just the bottom bit of the rear arch that's hooped.

Have u got a joggler? Not sure if it is a method I like but it is a method

Never joggle or overlap panels as it promotes a cavity for rust!

Always butt weld the joints using intergrips (butt weld clamps) where you can

intergrip.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post

Always butt weld the joints using intergrips (butt weld clamps) where you can

intergrip.jpg
    Thanks Al.

I've got some of those things.
    I think I'll clamp the panels together and cut a line so they should marry nicely. (For me this is purely theory)

The cheapest wing I can see is going for nearly £60. It seems a lot to spend for 3 inches of wing. Am I mad for thinking of trying to make my own bit, considering my lack of skill?

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    The cheapest wing I can see is going for nearly £60. It seems a lot to spend for 3 inches of wing. Am I mad for thinking of trying to make my own bit, considering my lack of skill?
    Keep an eye on the Facebook groups, pattern wings are always up for sale, i got one for £20

Quote Originally Posted by blenki View Post
    Keep an eye on the Facebook groups, pattern wings are always up for sale, i got one for £20
    Thanks Dave, will do.

Hey Jango, once i get the shell out for the first time this year this is exactly the section im gonna be attacking! Nothing harming you having a go at making an arch from sheet metal and improving your skills in doing so, even if you end up using a repro panel you will have gained knowledge and skills in forming a fairly complex panel from nothing, personally id use a repro panel for the amount your putting back, i was fortunate enough to not have to loose so much of the arch profile so was able to fabricate the arch which left me with the sill to repair, look forward to see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack23 View Post
    Hey Jango, once i get the shell out for the first time this year this is exactly the section im gonna be attacking! Nothing harming you having a go at making an arch from sheet metal and improving your skills in doing so, even if you end up using a repro panel you will have gained knowledge and skills in forming a fairly complex panel from nothing, personally id use a repro panel for the amount your putting back, i was fortunate enough to not have to loose so much of the arch profile so was able to fabricate the arch which left me with the sill to repair, look forward to see how you get on.
    Thanks, I share your view. I plan to fit the rear outer sill then try to make my own arch section. And, as you said, if I cock it up (chances are I will) I will plump for a repro/ second hand wing and do it that way.

On this shell there are at least 3 layers of repairs built up over time so the true shape of things is a little uncertain.
    Good job there are plenty of other decent caddys on here.

This is an improvement for me. I'm quite pleased with my effort. I know it's not perfect but it's a whole heap better than it used to be.

20180318_102754.jpg

looking good Jango gotta be happy with that

Looks neat! Nice one

Well done Shaun, you’re deffo getting better.

that looks spot on mate. neat work! got to be chuffed with that

Thanks guys, that means a lot. I've been burning the living shit out of my truck for a year or so, so I'm glad I'm on an upwards curve.
    No doubt I will offer my fair share of howlers still. But today was a good day in the garage.

looks well Jango, stitches and plugs both look good, got to be pleased with that

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack23 View Post
    looks well Jango, stitches and plugs both look good, got to be pleased with that
    Yes, I watched this YouTube clip and it all became clear to me.
    But in all seriousness, I'm glad to be improving.