Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jango's 2nd attempt......

Jango's 2nd attempt......

So, I raised the white flag on my last project after a few visits from a few folk who knew me, my abilities and the extent of the rot in the shell I bought. It was clearly Blind Faith.

So, as luck would have it a nice caddy came up for grabs only 5 miles down the road. 1 owner from new, 180k engine swapped from a petrol to a diesel when it was 4 years old due to rediculous fuel consumption. The engine was rebuilt 75k ago. Only minor rust as it has been keenly kept in order by the engine machinist who owned it and the mechanic that has looked after it since new. It's had loads of new bits whenever needed but it was a work truck for carrying around engine blocks and heads. Needless to say, the bed has been patched many times over the years and this may be the best place for me to start.
    It drives great and has just passed its mot.
    Behold!!! ( sorry about the upside down issue, I'm almost positive that the world was the right way up when I took the photos)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Not sure where to start but I think the bed needs investigating as it has 26 years of repair panels to remove....
    Last edited by Jango; 24-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.

nice mate, how much come on

nice one!

that looks a million times better than the first one. good job! 100% the right choice to start again. that one looks just like mine when i got it. get that bulkhead out and a new bed, be sweet then!

Quote Originally Posted by skip0pot2mus View Post
    nice mate, how much come on
    I paid 2k....

Quote Originally Posted by worthingcaddy View Post
    that looks a million times better than the first one. good job! 100% the right choice to start again. that one looks just like mine when i got it. get that bulkhead out and a new bed, be sweet then!
    Indeed! I thought of your motor when I saw this one. I already have a bed, crossmembers and the surrounding panels for the bed.
    So I will be breaking out the heat gun and scraper to get a good look at what really lies beneath....

Are you going to keep it as a rolling resto??
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

How much better is that

Set of coilovers on the front, flipped axle with some adjuster plates and it's sorted, not to low you can't drive it!

Def keep it as rolling resto don't go to deep

Bargain at 2k I reckon

sorted mate least u had a go on the other

Didn't see the first 1 ,,but the 2 nd one looks great ,well if I was standing on my head lol ,,

Thats better for you mate, you now have a rolling project and can enjoy modding rather than restoring what you had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Indeed! I thought of your motor when I saw this one. I already have a bed, crossmembers and the surrounding panels for the bed.
    So I will be breaking out the heat gun and scraper to get a good look at what really lies beneath....
    that's perfect then! as notenoughtime has said, set of coilovers and flipped axle. you're sorted! you can do the nice stuff once the bed is done like mess about choosing which seats and wheels you like. not too much of those horrible repairs! 2k is a steal from the pics too

It all looks possible, which is a nice change. I'm building it for my Dad as a belated retirement present. He's not sure how low he wants it as the driveway at his is bumper scrapingly steep . He does want it rust free and painted the colour my mum tells him he wants! And a tidy interior. But it will be a rolling project while I get on with it.
    I'm in the process of removing the black later from the bed area. It looks quite dented, but what shoul I expect from 26 years of driving about with heads and blocks in the back.

I've had a look at the electrics today. The rad fan is on a switch on the dash. There are some repairs that seem to have intentionally avoided the fuse box and have a fuse fitted in line. I'm wondering if it's worth getting an engine loom made or try and refix the repairs back through the fuse box.....

just sort it out back through the fuse box where it should be. won't be difficult!

Cool. There's no relay for the rad fan is there? I'd better track down a wiring diagram or at least something that lets me know which fuse is for which...

there's got to be i'd have thought. i haven't had mk1 wiring for about 7 years so can't help too much. it's not in the engine bay like a mk3?

The fan switch doesnt go through the fusebox, it just has a permanent live & earth off of the battery on its own little loom.

Its common for them to corrode around the connector behind the front panel. just replace and solder in new wires

search on google for mk1 fuse digram. and if you give me a sec i will see if i can find something very helpful