Thread: 10 years in a Caddy - a tribute

10 years in a Caddy - a tribute

Shortly before my retirement, I went looking for the ideal project for a retirement daily driver. Only one vehicle met my needs, a VW Rabbit Pickup. Since I had driven one new in 1980, and was smitten, I went looking for a good one. To my surprise, they were extremely rare here in Eastern Canada, as our salty air and heavy use of road salt had simply dissolved most of them. I looked for 4 years and found a pristine 1981 in a nearby town (isn't that always the way?). The floors were good, and it looked very nice. I drove it home, and the work of love began. It's been on the road now for 10 summers, and I still love the noisy, tiny and sometimes hot little ride. I've redone most of what the original owner did, as it was not to my liking. After all, you must make it yours. I've stripped it to bare metal and refinished it, redone all the wiring, replaced the engine with a HOT turbodiesel (AAZ), replaced the transmission a number of times looking for the ideal ratios, redone the interior, and driven it with great joy. It doesn't suit a lot of people....it's not slammed....it's not on bags.....it's not a 1.8T....It's not on some wheels like-everyone-elses (AKA _ BBS)........etc., etc., etc. But A day never goes by that I don't get a thumbs-up, a wave or an exclamation over this unique little truck. It is so much fun to drive....so much fun to paint a soot stripe on a ricer..... so much fun to surprise the big pickups on the hills.
    So, don't give up, keep working,. The end result will give you so much joy, as will the trip to that point.
    And don't let anyone anywhere dictate what your ride should look like. Be unique...be yourself....build what YOU want.

Here are a few pics of "Old Rattle & Haul" over the years.

As found...."She ain't pretty, she just looks that way"

The Journey

Now (From a recent Cars & Coffee in Halifax).

No trailer queen here.

Really nice to see it before. Looked pretty good as it was! That's a great relationship to have with a vehicle. My best mate over here has had his for twenty years! Mind you I think it's nearly all been replaced at some point! He works his.

Yes, it did look good initially, but there was body filler everywhere......for no discernible reason.

very nice.

i bet you can't see a lot in that mirror tho! you would have to have 2 in the UK. or a BMW as they don't work on a BMW.

Nice! I like the two tone

Can I ask what you've lined the bed with? looks thick and substantial! something i'd be after...

Quote Originally Posted by whelp View Post
    very nice.

i bet you can't see a lot in that mirror tho! you would have to have 2 in the UK. or a BMW as they don't work on a BMW.
    The mirror is actually much better than the stock flag mirror. it's convex.
    I tried to get away with no exterior mirror, but the DMV said I had to have at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by growen View Post
    Nice! I like the two tone

Can I ask what you've lined the bed with? looks thick and substantial! something i'd be after...
    The silver lining is color-matched truck bedliner while the black is a cow mattress (I live in farm country).

A good tale which almost exactly matches my own. I bought my Caddy from a local farm shop in 2004 - 3 years before I retired and have been fiddling with it ever since.
    Nice truck by the way

Lovely looking truck ! And great to see your not scared to still put it to use.

I love the little 'rabbit' GT badges on the back too

Great story, thanks for sharing. Love the bonnet

I've always thought that different was better----I've never been one of the herd who wants to meet a similar vehicle every day. So the fine line between freakish and different was a hard one to discern at times. This truck suits me, and reflects me, I think. That's all that can be asked of a vehicle.

Mmmmm, new exhaust added. 2.5" through a Magnaflow muffler and out to a large 3.5" tip.04.jpg
    DC Stewart
    Milford Station
    Nova Scotia, Canada

1981 Caddy AAZ - 'Ol Rattle & Haul