Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap tools are wank

Cheap tools are wank

I keep making the mistake of buying cheap tools, so this thread is inspiration for not buying them.... a cheap tool grave yard!

Don't buy cheap tools!

i hardly ever buy new tools, latest purchase, 1937 tin snips lol

I did go through a phase of that but then I felt like I was paying over the odds for knackered stuff

you sure your caliper isnt seized?

I agree cheap tools are shit, but the piston shouldnt need that much presure that it will snap that thickness of steel.

HOLD ON...

I was thinking HTF did you snap that bit???? You must have had the cross plate in the wrong position to snap that flanged part off. The bar should go in the slot not in front of it

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I was thinking HTF did you snap that bit???? You must have had the cross plate in the wrong position to snap that flanged part off. The bar should go in the slot not in front of it
    woah woah woah!!!!

IT WAS in the slot!!!

Dick!!

oh and the caliper was a bit seized, but the tool seems to be made from chocolate as most of the threads are coming off the screw as well!

I don't even think it is steel - just cast alloy of teacake wrapper and coke can

then how did the flange break? the force of pushing the caliper closed would put pressure on the nut side of the slot

It certainly does seem like an odd mode of failure????

Cheap tools are shit, but what is the option when your budget is somehwere between nowt and feck all.

Quote Originally Posted by mugglesquop View Post
    i hardly ever buy new tools, latest purchase, 1937 tin snips lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    I did go through a phase of that but then I felt like I was paying over the odds for knackered stuff
    Yep - modern quality tools are often so much better, metallurgy has come a long way but you do have to pay for it

I bought a couple of old cold chisels from a stall run by some old bloke selling old tools, they were 'reassuringly expensive' but unfortunately when I tried to use them, it turned out they were reassuringly chocolatey too.

Fed up of wearing out/breaking T30 bits on a monthly basis I bought three king dick bits (T20, T25, T30) that cost more than the box of 50 sealey bits they were replacing.

The T30 that gets the most abuse on a diesel pump stripdown lasted 12 months or more and never chewed up until it snapped cleanly a few weeks ago, I needed it desperate so raided my drawers for T30 bits and turned up three from cheapo sets that just chewed up like cheese - had to reach for the cold chisel in the end (and that needed a new edge grinding back into it!)

I've bought a Beta torx tool now, even with 50% off it was £11 - which seems a little pricey, lasting well though.

So aside from cheap tools - do you have any tools that you love.

My knipex pump grips get the vote - the serrated jaws stay sharp and the grip they offer is fantastic

Oh and my wooden handled ball pein hammer and £1 record vice.

Love my Knipex stuff and the proper Snap On bits that I have too. It does seem that snap on also buy a lot of cheap shit and re brand it as well though
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

you wanna go to steam rallys, most of my tools cost 50p admittedly special tools are hard to come by

Normally results in punching something rusty/oily very hard

Quote Originally Posted by mugglesquop View Post
    admittedly special tools are hard to come by
    This forum has an abundance lol

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    This forum has an abundance lol

Quote Originally Posted by m6m62 View Post

cheap tools are wank

Buy cheap - Buy twice!

No, looks like it broke at the right place to me? the plate goes inside the caliper and so as you turn the thread the silver housing is forced back onto the plate...

Love my Facom ratchet spanners and my Teng stuff - also have some old Britool stuff I'm fond of

learned my lesson several times haha never actually learn. i bought a cheap thread cutter set and it literally didn't work at all, complete waste of time. replaced it with a snap on set and i've done loads with it and never broken anything. works perfect every time. would bloody hope so though considering the price.

a cheap brake line flaring tool springs to mind as another piece of shit that i shouldn't have bought

I had a cheap crap tool set as an apprentice.... As an item broke it got replaced by either Snap-on, Mac, Teng or Beta.... Within 6 months the only original cheap bit was the box. Then some how the Snap-on dealer fleeced me for a new roll cab.

Cheap tools are ok if you use them once in a blue moon, saying that, my old man has a set of Silverline ratchet scanners that are doing well fixing tractors and other farm related vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by samson27 View Post
    Then some how the Snap-on dealer fleeced me for a new roll cab.
    The second you step on the van, you trousers are down!

Like the £500 torque wrench that I didnt really need

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    5/8 extension (yes, the big fcuker)